• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Should I join this new team...?

U

USA_Rugby

There is a U19 team right near me, and I thought that maybe I should join. I'm 13 though, and the ages to play are 13-18. My plan is to play some youth, college, and then join a team in the AMNRL. Do you think I should join this team, or is it too risky and dangerous to play with 18 year olds?

Thanks for any input.

There is a U19 team right near me, and I thought that maybe I should join. I'm 13 though, and the ages to play are 13-18. My plan is to play some youth, college, and then join a team in the AMNRL. Do you think I should join this team, or is it too risky and dangerous to play with 18 year olds?

Thanks for any input.
[/b]
Join for sure, what position do you play? If you are a back size doesn't matter, look at Matt Giteau, he is very small for an inside centre yet he makes it work for him...No matter what age group you play in though you are bound to have much bigger player playing, I mean, down here you have to play against the Islanders when you are your age who are bigger then most full grown males....

Oh yeah, I've heard about that, and how many New Zealanders are scared to put their kids in rugby because of the gigantic polynesian kids.

Anyways, thanks for the advice! I appreciate it. I play 2nd row mostly, but I move around a lot. I think I've played like every position.

Oh I see... You're a 23 year old stuck in a 13 year old boys body!

Anyway how much playing experience do you have? When you playing against old guys technique is key. Out of the 8 years I played school rugby I played in my age group for 4 years. So for 4 years I was in the deep end. It wasn't easy but you learn ALOT very quickly.

It's gonna be tough as a forward, you gonna have to work your tail off.

Couldn't tell ya to be honest. I know in New Zealand if anyone who was 13 and played U15's they would get absolutely killed unless they were Maori or PI. I remember a team who was playing in U14 grade but they were all at least 15/16 because they had been held back in school so they got away with it. Some times I wonder if they intentionally failed at school so they kill us.

Couldn't tell ya to be honest. I know in New Zealand if anyone who was 13 and played U15's they would get absolutely killed unless they were Maori or PI. I remember a team who was playing in U14 grade but they were all at least 15/16 because they had been held back in school so they got away with it. Some times I wonder if they intentionally failed at school so they kill us.
[/b]
I know what you mean, the one thing going for him is that rugby isn't as competitive in the USA.
But one team ranging from 13 to 18 is nuts. Unfortunate that it's reached that level of desperation.
Perhaps USA_Rugby you should talk to your coach about a 7's team rather. Maybe then they can form two separate teams

I would have to see you play to be 100% percent sure. Although size doesn't really matter until your an adult I would suggest to play team with a similar age. Think about it, when you compare the average 13 year old to an average 18 year old the 18 year old will have at least an extra 20kgs. When I was 13 I was roughly around 55kgs, then my fob hormones kicked in now Im 19 and I weigh 85-90 kgs. If I was caucasian (I'm supposed to be 6 ft 4 lol) I would really be overweight but P.I are naturally bigger.

Alright, thanks for the replies everybody.

Yeah, I'm not so worried about the competition as it is for the wait. I don't want to have to wait forever to play. But I think I'll do it actually. Thanks for the advice.

Asking for sevens is a good idea, but it's not like I would get killed all that much less. Plus, in the USA, there would be nobody to play.

Maybe we could get the whole league to have one SXV and then a sevens team. Two games, you know? That would be fun.

Having two teams for 7's made out of the same guys that play the 15 man version could turn out to be a bit too heavy.

I was thinking two separate 7's teams, one ranging from 13-15 and the other 16-18.
But firstly you'd have to be damn lucky if the players are the right ages so you could split them more or less 50/50.
Secondly your opponents would have to accept and do the same, and all their players would have to be the right ages. Which is pretty unlikely.

Worth telling your coach I reckon. Since they're flexible about the age requirements maybe they'll be flexible as to which form of rugby they play

Having two teams for 7's made out of the same guys that play the 15 man version could turn out to be a bit too heavy.

I was thinking two separate 7's teams, one ranging from 13-15 and the other 16-18.
But firstly you'd have to be damn lucky if the players are the right ages so you could split them more or less 50/50.
Secondly your opponents would have to accept and do the same, and all their players would have to be the right ages. Which is pretty unlikely.

Worth telling your coach I reckon. Since they're flexible about the age requirements maybe they'll be flexible as to which form of rugby they play

What I don't understand is why you are already planning to defect to Rugby League after playing a bit of rugby union...

What I don't understand is why you are already planning to defect to Rugby League after playing a bit of rugby union...
[/b]
It's probably called the rugby league over there but it's still union, only called as such because it is in fact....a league....I doubt league even has a presence over there....

<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
It's probably called the rugby league over there but it's still union, only called as such because it is in fact....a league....I doubt league even has a presence over there.... [/b][/quote]
Rugby League does have a following over there, but what annoys and confuses me (and others I suppose) is that they call a competition "[insert first few words of comp here] Rugby League". Sometimes they are talking about the actual game of Rugby League, but other times they're talking about a Rugby League, that being a League (competition) of Rugby.

Silly americans...

It'll hurt, but the experience you get will be priceless. Don't be disheartened if you struggle.

USA_Rugby, where are you? what U-19 team are you considering joining (to see if i know anything about them)? When i was a senior in high school (18 years old) i was captain of the team, and had several younger guys (14-15 years old) on the squad who were very small, even for their ages. and what it comes down to, is the older players and coach. recognizing the fact that it took some balls to come out to practice to play against people WAY bigger, stronger, faster and more experienced, the coach and i made it understood that they were to be treated with a special 'cushion.' not to say they didnt get their asses rocked on several occasions, but they were guided a little more, and given a little more leniency, because in the end, in the US, if you have a U-19 team that has players with 5-6 years experience, even with moderate coaching your chances of success are massively above the rest of the field.. around here (Tulsa, Ok., USA), its not rare to have 1/3-1/2 of your starting side in their first year with the sport.. we were protecting our investments, if you will. that particular group of kids are now seniors, and although the coaching dropped off after my year, i consider 2 of the 4 the best in the region at their position.

on the other hand, the only way to figure this out is to ask around or just go out to a couple practices.. and im slightly confused, are you 23 or are you 13??

Oh, and here in America, a great majority of collegiate and high school players don't know what rugby league is, or at least not enough to explain any part of it whatsoever. as for men's clubs, i have no idea, but doubt it.

and as for your last comment, melon, im not entirely sure what you're talking about. we call the soccer and baseball organizations leagues, like A-League (the best teams), B-League (next best), etc.. but ive never heard of any rugby league meant as a competition..

wow, that was a lot...

Hope I helped someone.. haha..

-Blue

Thanks OSU_Blue for the help.

I don't understand why people think I'm 23? Huh? What am I missing?

check your age on the left

<<<< it is saying your 23 :p you obviously arnt, you may need to change your DOB in your settings.

Bump

Looking for some new opinions...

Oh, and I decided that I would rather join a local union team after I got out of college. I don't wanna switch codes, that's a good point.

Latest posts