• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Should New Zealand do the haka in cricket?

Q

QLD

At halftime during the RL world cup final last night, Matty Johns interviewed Andrew Symonds and Stuart Clark who were at the game last night and brought up an interesting point about the Black Caps one of the only New Zealand sporting sides not to do the Haka.

Never realised they've never done the haka before but i think its time they started doing it!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (QLD @ Nov 23 2008, 08:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
At halftime during the RL world cup final last night, Matty Johns interviewed Andrew Symonds and Stuart Clark who were at the game last night and brought up an interesting point about the Black Caps one of the only New Zealand sporting sides not to do the Haka.

Never realised they've never done the haka before but i think its time they started doing it![/b]
They are pansies and not worthy to even put "black" to their name let alone think about a haka.

Yeah, cos' a big tall lanky guy with glasses leading it is going to be intimidating. Ross Taylor will be the only guy look good performing it.

That being said, no, the Slack Caps should never do the haka. Come on now, imagine how gay it would look! Then we'll go out and get a routine pasting, making it look even more ridiculous.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (wairarapa_cullen @ Nov 23 2008, 08:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Yeah, cos' a big tall lanky guy with glasses leading it is going to be intimidating. Ross Taylor will be the only guy look good performing it.

That being said, no, the Slack Caps should never do the haka. Come on now, imagine how gay it would look! Then we'll go out and get a routine pasting, making it look even more ridiculous.[/b]
I am still recovering from when the Tall Blacks did the haka at the USA dream team....how embaressing.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Radman @ Nov 23 2008, 10:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
...and the million Hakas at the last two Olympics/Commonwealth games.:/[/b]
Yeah that seriously is embaressing....perhaps it should be done AFTER we win things rather than before????

Only the union and league boys should do the haka before they go into battle! the black caps should stick to tiddley winks!

I'm in no way shape or form an expert on cultures within NZ, but I think the only people in the NZ sporting word to do the haka should be the Maori themselves. NZ Maori RL and RU teams.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (melon @ Nov 23 2008, 10:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I'm in no way shape or form an expert on cultures within NZ, but I think the only people in the NZ sporting word to do the haka should be the Maori themselves. NZ Maori RL and RU teams.[/b]
I think it should be anyone who is a kiwi as Maori and English are BOTH the official languages of NZ.  Therefore anyone who is a kiwi is ENTITLED to speak Maori if they wish.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (wairarapa_cullen @ Nov 23 2008, 05:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

That being said, no, the Slack Caps should never do the haka. Come on now, imagine how gay it would look! Then we'll go out and get a routine pasting, making it look even more ridiculous.[/b]

Jesse Ryder would lead it too, big bloke he is.

I think everyones underrating the cricket side here, they might be shithouse but they'd be pretty offended if you went up to them and said that to them. They might look like weeds on tv but they're big blokes in real life, like half the team were representative rugby players during there school years.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (QLD @ Nov 23 2008, 11:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (wairarapa_cullen @ Nov 23 2008, 05:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Jesse Ryder would lead it too, big bloke he is.

I think everyones underrating the cricket side here, they might be shithouse but they'd be pretty offended if you went up to them and said that to them. They might look like weeds on tv but they're big blokes in real life, like half the team were representative rugby players during there school years.

[/b][/quote]
Yeah they are big boys and most of them tower over the AB's...but they are just not aggro enough.  We need them all to take a look at Hadlee in the old days....he was always angus!  Once he was so angus to get this English guy out that he still dived at the ball even though it had already hit the ground 5 metres away.  He stayed there on the ground for ages really angry...before getting up with this mean look on his face....no talk...no looking at anyone...just really competitive killer instinct.

The next ball he bowled the commentators described as the fastest bouncer they had ever seen...it hit the guys bat (he just got it up to defend himself getting hit in the head) and he was caught out.

Lance Cairns was another who oozed of "I am gonna smash your face"

The new Haka the AB`s do is quite embarrassing in its self, dont make the cricketers do it.

Not fully educated on the issue, but the haka is a challenge.
What does it matter how these people look? Don't school kids do the haka? That's got to be far from intimidating (then again, i'm sure most school kids in NZ are bigger than me!)
But i thought it was all about setting a challenge. Being proud of your tradition. I don't see why the cricketers and any other sportsperson shouldn't do it.
Alas, that is from the mouth of a foreigner. But i spent the summer in America and grew very close with 6 NZers who were all related. Half of their family was Maori the other half was Scottish. As a treat to the guests at where we were working the NZ guys suggested they'd teach us the haka and then welcome the guests with that. They taught us the moves, the words and what the words meant.
It was a great education and i now respect the culture even more because i know about it.
I think it's great.

No.

The haka is something to get a group of warriors ready for war. Since we live in relatively peaceful times, rugby is the new war. Rugby or American football or any other physical contact sports; it's appropriate. There's something about watching a bunch of stacked guys with tattoos, half of whom are islanders, doing the haka. It's not the same with girls/ skinny weeds doing it.

Cricket is a gentleman's game, it's not got that violence to it. Football is not a gentleman's game but it still doesn't have the conflict edge that rugby has. The haka should only be done in sports where you can legally bash your opponent.

I would actually do the other way round: Shouldn't NZ put cricket in the Haka?

This would show respect to the "British part" of the NZ culture. This would add fun. Eventually Haka with bats would hurt some players even before they start to play, this would make the Test match more unpredictable.

Latest posts