• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Should rugby be seen to make a stand against past & present banking scandals?

allgood4rugby

Academy Player
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
England
RBS, the ***le sponsor of RBS6Nations, say this, "The global profile of the Championship means that it provides a cost effective way to promote RBS and engage with our customers, clients and staff." I, of course, am glad that such sponsorship is available for a game that gives pleasure and enjoyment to the world; however I believe it is a shame when the sponsor is not happy to just receive a simple and shumble subtext like ´Proud to be the main sponsor of 6NationsRugby´, instead of taking the eye off of the actual games by so much ´in your face´ naming. What are others´opinions?

To add to what Tigs said no sport really is, F1 only ditched tobacco because they were forced.

Plus I don't really see what a principaled stand would do this long after the event.

Point is that RBS claim that "The global profile of the Championship means that it provides a cost effective way to promote RBS". I would rather see ´6Nations´ being promoted far beyond ´RBS´ not only because of the bank´s proven mis-selling, rate-fixing and the like, to 10,000´s of UK business and mis-sold PPI to the general populous but also because the optical illusion of a ´standing´RBS logo in the middle of the pitch and other media detracts from the game as, for instance, the former has the effect of looking like a vertical barrier or hurdle to be to leapt over by players.

I do take Tigs Man´s and ncurd´s points; however, I truly believe that there was, maybe still is, an opportunity to explain to RBS that that bank´s brand rehabilitation into UK society (even World society) is likely to come more easily and quickly if some signs of remorse and humility were to appear from them, rather than them using their ***le sponsorship of RBS6Nations to give the impression of unrepentent fragilstas. To sum up, a scan through Ian Faser´s book ´Shredded - the bank that broke Britain´ will bring some further understanding of my opinions in this matter.

It is because rugby, generally, has such an exceptional, virtually unique, reputation for goodwill, sportsmanship and gentlemanly dealings that the high-profile sponsorships of the Banks makes for seemingly contrasting bedfellows.

Its the corrupt politicians that bailed out their banking buddies so nothing really to do with rugby. I do get what you're saying though.

Of course RBS are going to see the 6N's as a way of promoting themselves they have to justify the money spent.

Every sponsorship will care about its own promotion with a sponsor.

O.K., I see it as RBS making the mistake of not understanding the more durable effects of the soft-sell. I still believe they are doing themselves even more harm through misplaced pride (hubris), when a more reserved and statesmanlike subtext like "Proud to be the main sponsor of 6Nations" would make them seem ´bigger´. I certainly don´t condemn 6Nations for taking the sponsorship money; although they might give RBS some advice along the lines of my idea here, if there´s some sense found in it. Look, spectators can hardly see the trophy...

Trophy where.png

Certainly! :D Is there any hint about 6Nations at all in this photo (below)? With that RBS hurdle (the unwelcome distorted distracting pop-up) is there a risk that refs might wrongly see English forward passes?

RBS hurdle.png

Latest posts