• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Should the NRL expand in 2011 to included additional teams

Expanded NRL

• Total voters
J

Jethro

Just wondering what everyone thinks. The interest is there for an expansion in 2011 I think, but is it viable considering two teams would have to be added to allow an additional game for broadcast rights.

I think there are quite afew places deserving of an NRL team such as Perth. Two years would be a pretty good time. Leaving it for longer will probably mean that it will never get done.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (William18 @ Oct 17 2009, 09:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dale @ Oct 16 2009, 07:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
CC Bears[/b]
Has to be a relocation, I think. NSW does not need extra teams.
[/b][/quote]

The CC is the fastest growing area in Australia and desparately needs national teams. At the moment the Mariners represent the CC in soccer in the "A" league, and that's about all we got. The NRL's hands could be forced with a few of the Sydney clubs in dire financial positions. Note the Coast wont accept a relocated team but there is strong support for the Bears to be re-established. Greg Florimo leads the CC proposal team :)

The interest would be in who else gets the nod. From memory Wellington, Perth, and a couple of centers in Queensland have put their hats in the ring. Perth and Wellington would have to make bloody good cases as both franchies are clearly going to add travel costs.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jethro @ Oct 18 2009, 10:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (William18 @ Oct 17 2009, 09:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dale @ Oct 16 2009, 07:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
CC Bears[/b]
Has to be a relocation, I think. NSW does not need extra teams.
[/b][/quote]

The CC is the fastest growing area in Australia and desparately needs national teams. At the moment the Mariners represent the CC in soccer in the "A" league, and that's about all we got. The NRL's hands could be forced with a few of the Sydney clubs in dire financial positions. Note the Coast wont accept a relocated team but there is strong support for the Bears to be re-established. Greg Florimo leads the CC proposal team :)

The interest would be in who else gets the nod. From memory Wellington, Perth, and a couple of centers in Queensland have put their hats in the ring. Perth and Wellington would have to make bloody good cases as both franchies are clearly going to add travel costs.
[/b][/quote]
Yeah, the Central Coast Bears seems like a fair option. I think if they did that they would have to get rid of a team from Sydney or else merge two of them. Central Coast seems like a very solid bid.

I don't think Wellington could work. We already have the Phoenix and I don't think people would take to another team. The team would have to be in Christchurch if it were to happen. Another QLD team is also an option, they have quite a few areas which could do with a team.

Further news this morning that the Storm are in even a worse financial situation than the Sharks, somethings got to give here. Apparently the Storm are being propped up to the tune of $6 million by News Ltd, who now want out of the money losing deal. Notable the Storm have yet to produce a home grown player in the NRL, the ARL should cut the cost there and get on the blower to Flo to organise the Bears for 2010. Not that we on the coast wish to see the Storm finished or take advantage of another area's problems. (Think I covered myself there).

Losing the Storm would be a big blow. However if they are not getting the money needed it also serves as a wake up call to expansion to somewhere like Perth.

From a purely fan based point of view, ignoring financial involvement whatsoever, they should aim for a PNG based team. Play the majority of their games out of Australia, but also use their national stadium for games. As they'll most likely take the Pacific Cup and therefore be in the 2010 Four Nations, they could really do with a professional national level club.

I'd say the same for the Islanders. Maybe a Pacific Islands team. However due to the heritage rule (If you don;t get called into the Aussie/Kiwi team, you have eligiblity to your country of origin. (Fiji, Tonga etc.) Plus the fact about 50% of the Toyota Cup are islanders, their national teams will get stronger even without their own national league team.

Failing that CC does seem like the logical choice, even if it does mean we get another NSW team.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hinch @ Oct 20 2009, 01:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Losing the Storm would be a big blow. However if they are not getting the money needed it also serves as a wake up call to expansion to somewhere like Perth.

From a purely fan based point of view, ignoring financial involvement whatsoever, they should aim for a PNG based team. Play the majority of their games out of Australia, but also use their national stadium for games. As they'll most likely take the Pacific Cup and therefore be in the 2010 Four Nations, they could really do with a professional national level club.

I'd say the same for the Islanders. Maybe a Pacific Islands team. However due to the heritage rule (If you don;t get called into the Aussie/Kiwi team, you have eligiblity to your country of origin. (Fiji, Tonga etc.) Plus the fact about 50% of the Toyota Cup are islanders, their national teams will get stronger even without their own national league team.

Failing that CC does seem like the logical choice, even if it does mean we get another NSW team.[/b]

From what I can understand from the expansion argument the requirement is for two teams to extend each round and thus have more to offer the networks and sponsors. At the moment the CC Bears seem the obvious choice to become one of the new franchises, leaving the door open for another organisation.

Would be an interesting idea aiming for a PNG team, would there be financial support for the team? A Pac Island team would be hard to handle for the existing clubs, especially if they get first dibs on Islander players. Wonder what the plan there would be? Play out of Auckland, use Fiji's new or planned at least International Stadium?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jethro @ Oct 19 2009, 01:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Further news this morning that the Storm are in even a worse financial situation than the Sharks, somethings got to give here. Apparently the Storm are being propped up to the tune of $6 million by News Ltd, who now want out of the money losing deal. Notable the Storm have yet to produce a home grown player in the NRL, the ARL should cut the cost there and get on the blower to Flo to organise the Bears for 2010. Not that we on the coast wish to see the Storm finished or take advantage of another area's problems. (Think I covered myself there).[/b]
Next year the storm do move to their new stadium, that could change things a bit for them. The storm have to be in there, so much work has got into them and they have so much potential.

Adelaide farken! the adelaide oval could be used for big games as it will upgraded in time for the next expansion and hindmarsh stadium for normal games. :)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (redunderthebed @ Nov 5 2009, 11:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Adelaide farken! the adelaide oval could be used for big games as it will upgraded in time for the next expansion and hindmarsh stadium for normal games. :)[/b]

From memory the Adelaide Rams(? not sure on the name) did okay last time they were in the comp in terms of support, might be worth another look.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jethro @ Nov 12 2009, 04:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (redunderthebed @ Nov 5 2009, 11:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Adelaide farken! the adelaide oval could be used for big games as it will upgraded in time for the next expansion and hindmarsh stadium for normal games. :)[/b]

From memory the Adelaide Rams(? not sure on the name) did okay last time they were in the comp in terms of support, might be worth another look.

[/b][/quote]

Thats the one were screwed over the super league war and definately should have another chance.

Sydney Morning Herald this morning.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
While rival codes are trumpeting expansion announcements, the NRL has put any plans to introduce teams in new areas on hold after being advised it was unlikely to receive an increase in television revenue.

Despite the establishment of new AFL, A-League and Super rugby teams from 2011, NRL chief executive David Gallop revealed yesterday that the issue would not even be discussed again by the league's governing body before then.

''We've done some research during 2009 about expansion and whether we should be expanding to maximise television revenue,'' Gallop said. ''The answer that has come back thus far is that the best thing we can do to maximise television revenue is to have an exciting competition, a competition where there are no easy games, where people are genuinely backing their team every week because they think they are a chance of winning. Adding teams won't necessarily do that for us.''

Gallop made the comments at a forum with club members in Sydney yesterday during which he also outlined the pitfalls for the NRL's rivals if their new teams hit financial trouble.

After expanding from 16 teams to 20 in 1995, the game was torn apart by the Super League war. Of the four new clubs introduced, the South Queensland Crushers and Western Reds folded while the Auckland Warriors and North Queensland Cowboys had to be bailed out.

''To be frank, I think some codes are getting in a race to put dots on a map without carefully considering the impact on the remaining clubs, or their current clubs,'' Gallop said.

''I think rugby league has been down that road and made those mistakes, and I wouldn't like to see it make those mistakes again.

''There is nothing worse than to add teams to your competition and have them fall over. It's not only bad for the particular area, it has a ripple effect across the whole game and the confidence that people have in the game and the confidence that players have to play your game.''

The news leaves the Central Coast Bears with an uncertain wait in their quest to return to the NRL, while a Central Queensland consortium has been formed to lobby for a team in Rockhampton, and the Papua New Guinea government wants a side established in Port Moresby. Gallop said the issue would be reviewed in 2011 - a year before the NRL's television deals expire.

''There are obviously target areas we have our eye on - Central Coast, Brisbane, Perth, Adelaide and perhaps another team in New Zealand,'' he said. ''I think PNG is, quite frankly, a fair way off but our timeline now is to wait until the middle of 2011 before we have a real serious look at expansion again and whether it is the right thing for our competition.''[/b]

Interesting, so Gallop isn't saying anything followers haven't known for the last year?

At least Adelaide is being looked at its not right they don't have teams outside the eastern seaboard in Australia. <_<

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (St Helens RLFC @ Nov 21 2009, 02:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Wise of the NRL to stay within its means.[/b]

They got heavily burnt last time they went with a grandiose national wide competition, though the Super League thing did rear it's head at the time.

Interesting times ahead for the NRL. With Union expanding into the Melbourne market the Storm are expected to take a hit, and their pretty much wobbling financially to begin with. The AFL have confirmed they are establishing a franchise in the Western Suburbs of Sydney, League stronghold, and strangely asked the bankrupt State of NSW to pony up $45 odd million for a stadium upgrade. As opposed to the shrill screams from the Daily Telegraph, local league orientated bin liner, the State gov have politely refused the request already.

With both AFL and Union expanding, is the NRL missing out on television and more importantly sponsorship opportunities?

Personally I think both the Union and AFL expansions are disasters waiting to happen for entirely different reasons.

Vaguely believe the "A" league is expanding as well, but can't find anything to back that up so could have been a rumour. They are certainly going to get a boast with next year's world cup.

the nrl cant expand - its not popular enough

when it does the bears must be first, they should have come before the ***ans

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ak47 @ Nov 25 2009, 01:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
the nrl cant expand - its not popular enough

when it does the bears must be first, they should have come before the ***ans[/b]

LOL! No way should there have been another NSW team before one from QLD. The Bear must be a relocation, NSW already has too many teams and does not need any more.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jethro @ Nov 25 2009, 08:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (St Helens RLFC @ Nov 21 2009, 02:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wise of the NRL to stay within its means.[/b]

They got heavily burnt last time they went with a grandiose national wide competition, though the Super League thing did rear it's head at the time.

Interesting times ahead for the NRL. With Union expanding into the Melbourne market the Storm are expected to take a hit, and their pretty much wobbling financially to begin with. The AFL have confirmed they are establishing a franchise in the Western Suburbs of Sydney, League stronghold, and strangely asked the bankrupt State of NSW to pony up $45 odd million for a stadium upgrade. As opposed to the shrill screams from the Daily Telegraph, local league orientated bin liner, the State gov have politely refused the request already.

With both AFL and Union expanding, is the NRL missing out on television and more importantly sponsorship opportunities?

Personally I think both the Union and AFL expansions are disasters waiting to happen for entirely different reasons.

Vaguely believe the "A" league is expanding as well, but can't find anything to back that up so could have been a rumour. They are certainly going to get a boast with next year's world cup.
[/b][/quote]
The A League has the Melbourne Heart coming in in 2010 and the Sydney Rovers in 2011. All they are really doing there is splitting the market.

I do not think they should grow the NRL Comp! it goes long enough now! Don't get me wrong I love the NRL Comp but I don't want the to play more games for fans to lose interest in the game the old over use syndrome plus think of the players it would surely shorten the careers of players hence we not see many more legends of the game eg Langer, Lewis, Lockyer, Maniga, Lyons the list goes on!

Latest posts