• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Should the Premiership be played during InternationalwWindows?

ncurd

Hall of Fame
TRF Legend
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Bath
Old topic I'm sure but should there be premiership games during the international windows?

1st up there are rest weeks in schedule already even if you include LV= and European rugby

2nd when not schedule all LV= games on international weekends/breaks? Nobody give two hoots about it anyway and is treated as development competition by most clubs.

3rd most importantly ALL players need to be released on non-international weekend. I know why this is but if someone players can train all week with England and play for their clubs why can't everyone? I know risk of injury and all that.

It gives unfair advantages usually to mid-table teams who players push for England selection but don't quite make it. Bath use to benefit from it a fair bit but now they are loosing to it (4 players on national duty) having to play top sides who are less hammered by it and coming a cropper. The worst part in both games was major problems were where their internationals played.

Not just saying it because Bath have been caught this year (and I'm not saying Bath would of definitely won those matches) as it happens every year and I've always felt this way. But it slightly cuts away at the integrity of the competition.

Old topic I'm sure but should there be premiership games during the international windows?

1st up there are rest weeks in schedule already even if you include LV= and European rugby

2nd when not schedule all LV= games on international weekends/breaks? Nobody give two hoots about it anyway and is treated as development competition by most clubs.

3rd most importantly ALL players need to be released on non-international weekend. I know why this is but if someone players can train all week with England and play for their clubs why can't everyone? I know risk of injury and all that.

It gives unfair advantages usually to mid-table teams who players push for England selection but don't quite make it. Bath use to benefit from it a fair bit but now they are loosing to it (4 players on national duty) having to play top sides who are less hammered by it and coming a cropper. The worst part in both games was major problems were where their internationals played.

Not just saying it because Bath have been caught this year (and I'm not saying Bath would of definitely won those matches) as it happens every year and I've always felt this way. But it slightly cuts away at the integrity of the competition.

Mate, Premiership and Top14 = same fight ! We have the exact same problem. You're talking about Bath this year, well ask Guy Noves !!! The Stade Toulousain has been supplying players for the XV de France since it's creation, sometimes with 8 or 9 players at the same time ... And still playing the league ... Imagine what they looked like ?!
So it is all about amateurism of the federation/league ! I thought people at the RFU were not as dumb as people from FFR, well it seems not !!!

Anyway, a world schedule should be set by World Rugby, but with the seasons not being the same in NH and SH, things are a bit hard to manage ... But these guys are paid in a month, what you get in a year and they are unable to make things change ? Surprising ... We all say footballers are morrons, but at least, they have an international schedule ...

I have always thought that the domestic league suffers in quality during the international season, as a Leicester fan you always see their form dip during the autumn and during the 6N, Bath have suffered for their success this season also. I returned my season tickets to Leicester as i want to watch the best players Leicester have, not the second string.

I quite like watching our 2nd string get a chance it promotes depth they play for my club are payed by my club I will watch them regardless.

It gives the likes of Balmain, Catchpole, Thacker etc a chance to get AP game time.

I'm fine with it.

Although I think if you provide players for the English squad that should be taken into consideration with the EQP quota thing.

Always find it strange when people kick off about having to watch second string players.
Do you support the club or just the starting/first choice XV?

Always find it strange when people kick off about having to watch second string players.
Do you support the club or just the starting/first choice XV?

I think the problem many people have is that those who produce internationals are penalised for it, and those who don't are rewarded. This couldn't be more evident than in the Pro12 where for years Connacht and the Dragons wins have come disproportionately in international windows.

I think if you break for international games then they would be no club games for at least 5 to 6 weeks at some stages which would hurt crowds as fans would get out of habit of going (casual fans mainly).

Makes clubs think about having good strength in depth to cope so just crack on, playoffs i think are in place to help the top teams who are damaged by losing players but when playoffs arrive are at full strength !

Latest posts