• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Should there be a World Club Final

M

munstermuffin

Lads just wondering wouldn't i be great to have a world club final (Super14/15 Champions vs H'Cup Winners)

Like Both Competitions finish around the same time and it would pit the best of each hemisphere vs eachother.

And I sure a week window could be freed somewhere in the calendar wheather it played in NH before AI's or SH after Finals but before Internationals.

But I mean now as I sure they'd get big backing in the sponsorship side and if enough cash was put up the clubs would take it seriously.
As in lets not forget the Celtic League was basically a few friendlies (noone took it serious) the Magners came in and now it going from strength to strength.

They would have to make it a neutral location as well. You could send all of the teams over to play against the Bulls at the same time, but if it's at Loftus, you would have no hope... Still, i think it could be a good idea, and would certainly be a great game to watch provided both teams are at full strength.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bullitt @ Feb 22 2010, 02:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
The league equivalent was/is hardly a rip-roaring success.[/b]
No but we all know Union is much bigger with broader viewing. The game is growing steady all over where league is only big in Aus, England & less so in NZ.

I think it is an idea if managed well and has incentives (Cash or whatever) it could be massive success.

Play it in Dubai or somewhere neutral or Asia somewhere easy like or have SH 1 year NH the next.

it think it would be pretty awesome if they did this 3 games one game at each teams home venue and one at a nuetral venue maybe paris or rome or maybe america to increase intrest in the sport

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lucky_number_7 @ Feb 22 2010, 03:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
it think it would be pretty awesome if they did this 3 games one game at each teams home venue and one at a nuetral venue maybe paris or rome or maybe america to increase intrest in the sport[/b]

Paris would be a neutral place for the H Cup winner? I don't think so

well its more nuteral than croke park or thomond will be anyways :p

its a big stadium in one of the major cities on the planet so i reckon it would be a pretty good spot....alternatively you could try find somewhere right on the equator but i dont know of many rugby pitches around there :/ ha

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lucky_number_7 @ Feb 22 2010, 03:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
well its more nuteral than croke park or thomond will be anyways :p

its a big stadium in one of the major cities on the planet so i reckon it would be a pretty good spot....alternatively you could try find somewhere right on the equator but i dont know of many rugby pitches around there :/ ha[/b]

Well I wouldn't mind it being held in Paris ;)

What about Super Rugby XV vs a Heineken Cup XV? Sort of like a NH/SH barbarians.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fa'atau82 @ Feb 22 2010, 02:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
What about Super Rugby XV vs a Heineken Cup XV? Sort of like a NH/SH barbarians.[/b]
that would actually be brilliant ...but would the clubs release their players to play in it would be the only problem

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fa'atau82 @ Feb 22 2010, 02:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
What about Super Rugby XV vs a Heineken Cup XV? Sort of like a NH/SH barbarians.[/b]
Good idea but would be too hard as you have to go fighting between unions to release players and if players are knocked out early eg. Ferris at Ulster this season it hard to 'gee' yourself up again while also national squads will not allow so many gone.

But as for neutral venue why not Vegas (where 7s event held recently) or Dubai (who hosted U20 world cups) so that we can promote the game and get a smashing match.

And Dale after seen the Crusaders so far I think they'd struggle in H'Cup :lol:

As I said Munster Leinster Toulouse Leicester Clermont Ospreys Saints all well capable of beating them on any given day.

In theory a World Club Cup is a great idea but there are practical issues to overcome. When do you play it? The seasons don't align so one participant may be in pre-season. If that's the case it'll be used as a warm up fixture and be as big a farce as the rugby league equivalent.

A time I could see it happen would be during the June test window once every 4 years (during World Cup years). Instead of 6 Nations countries sending down weakened sides for internationals during a World Cup year, the 4 previous winners of the Heineken Cup play off against the 4 previous winners of the Super 10/12/14/15 - Quarters, semis and final to be played in the country which hosts that year's international World Cup. It could act as a build up to the biggest event in the sport.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snoopy snoopy dog dog @ Feb 22 2010, 03:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
In theory a World Club Cup is a great idea but there are practical issues to overcome. When do you play it? The seasons don't align so one participant may be in pre-season. If that's the case it'll be used as a warm up fixture and be as big a farce as the rugby league equivalent.

A time I could see it happen would be during the June test window once every 4 years (during World Cup years). Instead of 6 Nations countries sending down weakened sides for internationals during a World Cup year, the 4 previous winners of the Heineken Cup play off against the 4 previous winners of the Super 10/12/14/15 - Quarters, semis and final to be played in the country which hosts that year's international World Cup. It could act as a build up to the biggest event in the sport.[/b]
Must say Snoop that is a brilliand idea and could act as a warm-up for country hosting World Cup.
Only problem is like if Munster won H'Cup twice etc who'd get 4th spot.

Think June is best time as both competitions end in May but if Money was put in to it it'd be taken serious

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (munstermuffin @ Feb 22 2010, 05:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snoopy snoopy dog dog @ Feb 22 2010, 03:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A time I could see it happen would be during the June test window once every 4 years (during World Cup years). Instead of 6 Nations countries sending down weakened sides for internationals during a World Cup year, the 4 previous winners of the Heineken Cup play off against the 4 previous winners of the Super 10/12/14/15 - Quarters, semis and final to be played in the country which hosts that year's international World Cup. It could act as a build up to the biggest event in the sport.[/b]
Must say Snoop that is a brilliand idea and could act as a warm-up for country hosting World Cup.

Think June is best time as both competitions end in May but if Money was put in to it it'd be taken serious
[/b][/quote]

The losing finalist with the best record over the 4 years?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SSE @ Feb 23 2010, 07:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (munstermuffin @ Feb 22 2010, 05:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snoopy snoopy dog dog @ Feb 22 2010, 03:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

The losing finalist with the best record over the 4 years?
[/b][/quote]
I don't know as it hard because in NH teams in England and France drop in and out of H'Cup so it could be tricky.
And time-wise it may not allow as many games.

Sounds like a really good idea and i like the idea of having it being a best of 3 series, one in the NH one in the SH and one in a neutral area

Latest posts