• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

should they scrap the playoff semi finals?

N

nannyirish

i know that im a wasps fan and that we have won the ***le many tim,es via the playoffs but it makes all the hardwork during the season completely pointless..

i feel very sorry for gloucster because they have benn the top team again this year and hav not come away with nything??

what do you think about this matter ?

alson who will triumph at HQ?

leicester tigers or london wasps?

I love the playoffs in both the GP and SL :cheers:

As for the final... the loss of Cipriani is massive and that means that Wasps may have to revert to their 'defence wins championships' mantra in order to win this one. What's the word on Voyce's injury?

Leicester will be desparate to spoil Dayglo's farewell seeing as how Wasps spoilt Jonhson's & Back's a few years ago. It could be war :D

i feel very sorry for gloucster because they have benn the top team again this year and hav not come away with nything??

[/b]
So? I don't sympathise with them in the slightest. Once again they've been the best team all season but have played so naive in the matches that they MUST win. Against Munster in Europe, Leicester this year and last year. Sure, you can blame it on the play-offs, but I'm going all out to say that Gloucester are a bunch of chokers, period.

. Sure, you can blame it on the play-offs, but I'm going all out to say that Gloucester are a bunch of chokers, period.

that is a very fair point

given that the league of 22 games isn't fair either (playing during internationals etc), and the top 3 teams all had equal records, i don't see how Gloucester deserve to be champions for being top.

If we are to scrap the playoffs it would be a good thing, but the league would have to be fair first. Also, would Wasps have started the season different if they weren't simply aiming for a playoff place rather than finishing top?

As a Gloucester fan I have no problem with the play off system as it is. The final we lost to Wasps in 2003 put us at a dissadvantage because they came into the game off the back of a game against Bath and our boys hadnt played for the best part of a month. Now everyone is in the same boat and its a fair system. Not all Gloucester fans feel this way and to my horror some idiots were walking around with "League winners" t-shirts on at the game on Sunday. I feel it makes the end of season more exciting and a chance to play at Twickers is never to be sniffed at. Obviously its a way to prolonge the season and swell the RFU`s already ample coffers, but as a fan you have to back it(apart from Sunday where the real Champions were cruely robbed of the Premiership by the RFU money men once again)

i know that im a wasps fan and that we have won the ***le many tim,es via the playoffs but it makes all the hardwork during the season completely pointless..

[/b]

If I was a Gloucester fan I'd feel hard done by. However, there are a number of factors:

1. A lot of games are played when teams are missing players through internationals, and also injuries sustained playing internationals. You may say this is the same for all teams, but the fact is the best teams inevitably have more internationals.

2. Having playoffs makes the end of season exciting, and though I hate to say it, generates a lot of revenue. Kingsholm and Adams Park were both packed on Sunday, and Twickenham could possibly be a sellout.. at least 60,000 are already going to the final (including me!)

3. Most importantly: THE BEST TEAMS ARE THE ONES THAT CAN WIN THE BIG GAMES. If you are the best team in England, having won the league, then winning another two games shouldn't be a problem.

<div class='quotemain'>

[/b]

If I was a Gloucester fan I'd feel hard done by. However, there are a number of factors:

1. A lot of games are played when teams are missing players through internationals, and also injuries sustained playing internationals. You may say this is the same for all teams, but the fact is the best teams inevitably have more internationals.

2. Having playoffs makes the end of season exciting, and though I hate to say it, generates a lot of revenue. Kingsholm and Adams Park were both packed on Sunday, and Twickenham could possibly be a sellout.. at least 60,000 are already going to the final (including me!)

3. Most importantly: THE BEST TEAMS ARE THE ONES THAT CAN WIN THE BIG GAMES. If you are the best team in England, having won the league, then winning another two games shouldn't be a problem. [/b][/quote]

I like point 3. Winning the league shows you are good. but if you really are the best then go out and prove it when the chips are down.

<div class='quotemain'> <div class='quotemain'>

[/b]

3. Most importantly: THE BEST TEAMS ARE THE ONES THAT CAN WIN THE BIG GAMES. If you are the best team in England, having won the league, then winning another two games shouldn't be a problem. [/b][/quote]

I like point 3. Winning the league shows you are good. but if you really are the best then go out and prove it when the chips are down.
[/b][/quote]
You`ve changed your tune, only last week you thought the tigers were not good enough to win at Kingsholm. Now your are making out that Leicester are the dogs ********. Some fan, sounds like you only support them when they are doing well. I imagine you started supporting Leicester when the won the European cup. :wall:

I think that its akin to asking if the World Cup should be scrapped? Why don't we just give the trophy to the team ranked one in the world?

Gloucster have got a brilliant team granted, but New Zealand did too, and i didn't see any English or S-African fans suggesting that the final should be cancelled, and NZ given the Webb-Ellis cup...

Sky like Play Offs. Fact.

Sky = money.

If the Play Offs were scrapped every World Class player would leave for France.

i LOVE the playoffs, i think they should change the matches to night time kickoffs under the lights!!

i really think it adds a whole new dimension to the season, the intensity is just amazing!

if it was up to me i'd change the match times to prime time (not sure what time that is in england) and put one on saturday night and one on sunday, or friday and saturday either or! I think playing them under the lights would really be a thing to see.. gloucester at night or bath at night.. i can only dream!

and then play the final under the bright lights at twickenham, man the atmosphere would be AMAZING!

The matches at the Stade de France during the WC were like that (esp. the opening match against Argentina) and it seemed like the best atmosphere you could ever hope to witness or be a part of. So yeh, something like that would be great in the GP because I truly hate important matches like that being played at daytime.
Not even the Heineken Cup final is being played late! 17:00 = too bloody earlier for matches as important and exciting as that!

I agree 100%!

You watch the NBA playoffs here, all the matches are at night (albeit they are in an arena) however, the games in the afternoon lack the atmosphere that you get at night. Same goes for the baseball playoffs here, the first round are played in the afternoon and the games really come alive under the lights.. not quite sure what it is about lights but they just bring out a whole different level of play and atmosphere!

Yep, definately, the lights and the black sky really give matches a sense of beauty and liveliness and the crowd definately want everybody else to know that they feel this. Or something like that. I dunno, maybe it's because everyone's totally ****** at this point, but I still think late kick-off times should be announced more often! :p

<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'> <div class='quotemain'>

[/b]

[/b][/quote]
You`ve changed your tune, only last week you thought the tigers were not good enough to win at Kingsholm. Now your are making out that Leicester are the dogs ********. Some fan, sounds like you only support them when they are doing well. I imagine you started supporting Leicester when the won the European cup. :wall: [/b][/quote]

I started supporting them just before they lost their first Euro final, after watching highlights of Greenwood and Healey et al taking out Toulouse. And no i didn't think they were good enough to win at Kingsholm the way they were playing. Fortunately they got their act together.

My overall point wasn't really aimed at TIgers, it was at other teams failing

Latest posts