• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Should we bring back rucking ?

Rugga-lad

Academy Player
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
France
Here's a tweet from David Campese on the 30th of November this year.

David Campese @Davidcampese11 · Nov 30

IRB pls can we bring back rucking to clean up the mess at the breakdown it is going a lot like league now. Pls pls bring it back.

I agree with Campo. Rucking was what made the game a little bit simpler.
I also remember John Eales not being in favour of rucking, and he said it should be taken away. And look what it has come to. :rolleyes:

Thoughts ?

It would be great if it did comeback ... but they won't let it happen

Never thought I would agree with one word Campese said

rather fit razor sharp blades to the bottom of all the forwards boots... believe me... no-one... will dare lay on the wrong side of the ruck...

much much more effective if you ask me...

This article is quite interesting http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/ru...x-Nations-will-be-saved-by-new-ruck-laws.html
I think it is a tricky one although I tend to agree with you all. There is a lot in rugby at the moment that is pretty frustrating: scrums, collisions after kick and chase when two players jump equally for the ball but the attacker being penalised and sometimes unfairly carded, breakdown issues etc.

Mr Kaplan's views would be appreciated.

It's so frustrating when players lie on the other side pretending they're either trying to move or think it's okay to lie there as long as their arms are up in the air. The refs don't even penalise them as long as the ball is presentable, but the 9 still has to stand over the guy, which slows the ball down. They should bring rucking back.

I seem to be in the minority, but I don't want to see a return to rucking. Mainly because, although yes rugby is a physical game it isn't a game that's about kicking people on the floor. Not trying to get high and mighty about it, I'm not saying it's dangerous, just that I don't really see it as part of the game. Maybe it's an age thing (I'm 30) maybe it's a back thing. I also think there are issues of policing it right. Where on the body you are allowed to ruck, the difference between rucking and stamping, legalising it gives massive potential for controversy - is it a ruck or a stamp, was he aiming for the shoulder and got the head etc etc. I just think it'd be more trouble than it's worth.

Like everyone, I get massively frustrated by players ending up the wrong side and slowing the game down. But for me, the solution is much simpler and more direct - just don't allow people to lie there at all. Didn't mean to? Couldn't get out? Tough luck pal - should've thought of that. Get it right next time. Make it the defender's responsibility not to be there. If you end up offside by accident then impede the ball in open play its a penalty, no question of intent, it should be the same at the bottom of a ruck.

I seem to be in the minority, but I don't want to see a return to rucking. Mainly because, although yes rugby is a physical game it isn't a game that's about kicking people on the floor. Not trying to get high and mighty about it, I'm not saying it's dangerous, just that I don't really see it as part of the game. Maybe it's an age thing (I'm 30) maybe it's a back thing. I also think there are issues of policing it right. Where on the body you are allowed to ruck, the difference between rucking and stamping, legalising it gives massive potential for controversy - is it a ruck or a stamp, was he aiming for the shoulder and got the head etc etc. I just think it'd be more trouble than it's worth.

Like everyone, I get massively frustrated by players ending up the wrong side and slowing the game down. But for me, the solution is much simpler and more direct - just don't allow people to lie there at all. Didn't mean to? Couldn't get out? Tough luck pal - should've thought of that. Get it right next time. Make it the defender's responsibility not to be there. If you end up offside by accident then impede the ball in open play its a penalty, no question of intent, it should be the same at the bottom of a ruck.

Well, it won't happen, pretty much for the reasons you stated (injury/foul play) ... a lot of the Mum's won't want their kids playing if there's rucking.

... However, I don't see the policing of stomping or kicking, at the professional level, being a problem, as there's s many cameras these days.

I see the benefit of rucking being the total commitment of the majority of both forward packs in one place, and thus, creating more space for the backs to run, rather than quick clearance of the ball. I'd like to say that play was cleared quicker in the good old days, but that's not my recollection, as the tackled player and tackler often got buried on the bottom of the ruck.

It was a contest however, and it did require a commitment of players to win the ball, and yes, you were "encouraged" to move if you were on the wrong side, blocking access to the ball

We need to improve the current regulations regarding breakdown. Don't lie in the way, or a penalty!

We need to improve the current regulations regarding breakdown. Don't lie in the way, or a penalty!

That would work.........except for the numerous examples of players being held down to prevent them moving so that they are penalized!

That would work.........except for the numerous examples of players being held down to prevent them moving so that they are penalized!

So then wouldn't it be best for the referee to completely control the tackle, declaring the player held, the tackler to release, and the ball to be played...?

Oh. Wait.

:unsure:

das

I agree with Campese, only 'cos it will allow me to shout

SHOE 'IM!!

At increasingly annoying levels

Latest posts