Shoulda been banned for life!

Which Tyler

Hall of Fame
TRF Legend
Country Flag
France
Club or Nation
Bath
We now have another entry for the "how the hell is that not a life ban?" club; joinign such distinguished peers as Calum Clark (32W), Duncan McRae (7) & Julien Dupuy (23W):

Yellow carded at the time (gee, thanks for the support TJs); and 3 years now

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/sickening-inexplicable-moment-rugby-player-12323857

<iframe src='//players.brightcove.net/4221396001/V19oeQPdg_default/index.html?videoId=5249041161001&applicationId=WALESONLINE%20Embed%20Offsite' allowfullscreen frameborder=0 width='640px' height='360px'></iframe>
Ref did indeed suffer whiplash, though I've no idea the severity

Last edited:
This year has been terrible in terms of conduct for Argentine rugby/players. Worst ever i'd say, at least when compared to other teams.

We have not one (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiF-58pusQs) but two (https://youtu.be/HBzJiNnj-PI) players kicking an oponent in the head while they were down, a player performing a no hands tackle from behind to the bloody ref (being female should be irrelevant) and a couple of all out brawls including coaching staff, fans, the lot.

add the ridiculous amount of YC the Jaguares received in SR and the patter is crystal clear for anyone bothering to look.

Irrelevant schmelevant. He's an utter **** and I wish he'd eaten a life ban long before he got it into his head to do this. Even if he was aiming the player with the ball who was some 5 or more metres from the ref at the time it's a fixed arm and no attempt to wrap. But I wouldn't even give him the benefit of the doubt here. My money's on a misogynistic ****bag that deserves prison. And a proper kicking.

Don't know the law of the land in Italy but surely thats assault. The conversation should be about how long he spends in prison not how long he spends off the pitch.

Don't know the law of the land in Italy but surely thats assault. The conversation should be about how long he spends in prison not how long he spends off the pitch.

Absolutely. That is an effing disgrace. I hope the thug skates for the long haul

In addition to that, it a bit worrying that the referee carried in after having suffered whiplash injuries.

http://www.healthhype.com/whiplash-and-concussions.html

[TEXTAREA]"It is obvious that during a whiplash event that, in addition to the soft-tissue neck injuries that there could be direct contact of the head on an unforgiving surface. A blow to the head can produce jarring, shaking, or excessive movement of the brain inside the skull. This would be a logical circumstance in which concussion could occur. But what about situations in which there is whiplash yet there is no direct contact of the head on any surface? The high velocity movement of the head during a whiplash event alone could produce the same effects."[/TEXTAREA]

We now have another entry for the "how the hell is that not a life ban?" club; joinign such distinguished peers as Calum Clark (32W), Duncan McRae (7) & Julien Dupuy (23W):

Yellow carded at the time (gee, thanks for the support TJs); and 3 years now
Ref did indeed suffer whiplash, though I've no idea the severity

Never seen such thuggery on a rugby pitch before. Should be life ban with prison sentence for assault.

SC - chances are that no-one knew she had whiplash at the time; I doubt she was given more than a cursory look over by one team's medics.
Yes, you can suffer concussion secondary to whiplash absent of head trauma; but you'd need a hell of a lot more than what is, in essence, a low-speed rear-end collision. For this the whiplash is a hyperextension one, I don't think I noticed any particular hyperflexion in there; and no particular rotary element. In the real world, you'd only get concussion from that injury with a hell of a lot more force in the impact, and/or a patient with a history of previous concussion (or being a baby).
The mechanism of injury for whiplash in these scenarios is also different - it's overstretch of the axons, not contusions.

Her neck took the injury, not the skull or the contents thereof

Last edited:
SC - chances are that no-one knew she had whiplash at the time; I doubt she was given more than a cursory look over by one team's medics.
Yes, you can suffer concussion secondary to whiplash absent of head trauma; but you'd need a hell of a lot more than what is, in essence, a low-speed rear-end collision. For this the whiplash is a hyperextension one, I don't think I noticed any particular hyperflexion in there; and no particular rotary element. In the real world, you'd only get concussion from that injury with a hell of a lot more force in the impact, and/or a patient with a history of previous concussion (or being a baby).
The mechanism of injury for whiplash in these scenarios is also different - it's overstretch of the axons, not contusions.

Her neck took the injury, not the skull or the contents thereof

I point you to this somewhat sad story of a Paige Decker, a female ice-jockey player who suffered a similar injury; shoved from behind causing whiplash induced concussion. 22 months later, and she is still recovering.

http://www.theinvisibleinjury.net/blog/2015/9/19/new-chapter

http://www.theinvisibleinjury.net/blog/2015/11/1/my-concussion-finally-explained

a player performing a no hands tackle from behind to the bloody ref (being female should be irrelevant)

Its irrelevant in that no player should do that to an official, full stop. But maybe its also relevant in that a woman being physically weaker than a man could potentially have been hurt more seriously.

The one time we had a lady ref everyone was so respectful it was bizarre.

I point you to this somewhat sad story of a Paige Decker, a female ice-jockey player who suffered a similar injury; shoved from behind causing whiplash induced concussion. 22 months later, and she is still recovering.

So far as I've found, that blog does nothing to contradict what I wrote.

ETA for a little more detail.
Blog post 1, paragraph 1 "I suffered a head injury"; now I'll need to see her directly contradicting that before I agree that she was "absent of head trauma"
Next you'll need to find a statement, or video indicating that there was no rotational element in her neck (I can provide evidence that there was, from blog post 7).
Finally, you'd need to find something suggesting that an athlete who'd suffered multiple head traumas had never suffered concussion previously (as opposed to not reported, or not considered it to be concussion).

It's perfectly possible that I have missed some stuff in that blog, I haven't read it through exhaustively; but what I have read shows that she suffered concussion AND whiplash; not that she suffered whiplash which caused concussion.

Last edited:
I don't see where the discussion is here.

It's assault, it's a life ban and potentially a police investigation.

Anyone wants to make a justification for anything less needs their head examining.

- - - Updated - - -

Its irrelevant in that no player should do that to an official, full stop. But maybe its also relevant in that a woman being physically weaker than a man could potentially have been hurt more seriously.

Tbh, I would probably argue that this is a little sexist but I do see where you're coming from.

Not matter, I think we're on the same page.

ya cheapshot..3 years ban..the guys an idiot. ref should file charges for assault

I would sign this 'mad dog' Doglioli chap for my team. Next time Wayne Barnes is ref, have Doglioli prowling the touchline :D

The one time we had a lady ref everyone was so respectful it was bizarre.
Why are you assuming she is weaker than the average ref?

Should the punishment be any different had she been a 2m 120 olympic athlete? I dont think it should.

Why are you assuming she is weaker than the average ref?

Should the punishment be any different had she been a 2m 120 olympic athlete? I dont think it should.

Nothing to do with her being weaker or stronger. Real men don't hit woman and any man that doesn't if a weak cowardly scum bag like the bloke in the video.

So far as I've found, that blog does nothing to contradict what I wrote.

ETA for a little more detail.
Blog post 1, paragraph 1 "I suffered a head injury"; now I'll need to see her directly contradicting that before I agree that she was "absent of head trauma"
Next you'll need to find a statement, or video indicating that there was no rotational element in her neck (I can provide evidence that there was, from blog post 7).
Finally, you'd need to find something suggesting that an athlete who'd suffered multiple head traumas had never suffered concussion previously (as opposed to not reported, or not considered it to be concussion).

It's perfectly possible that I have missed some stuff in that blog, I haven't read it through exhaustively; but what I have read shows that she suffered concussion AND whiplash; not that she suffered whiplash which caused concussion.

Right, so your position is, as sideline medic, if you saw a severe whiplash, but no rotational component, you would not even bother examining the patient for possible concussion?

I gave up pitch-side a decade ago.

What do YOU mean by "severe whiplash"? - I see no indication that the case we're talking (OP) is severe whiplash; but several indications that it isn't. Is it possible that we mean different things? (for WAD we typically talk about grades, "severe" would be layman's language here)

Define "examining the patient" - examination for absolutely everything starts the moment I have the patient in my sight.

Define "possible concussion" - everyone walking down the street with no symptoms and no cause for suspicion has "possible concussion" remotely possible; 1 in a million*, but possible.

Of course, by the time I've diagnosed "severe whiplash" then the patient is already off the pitch for good and an ambulance on its way; so an HIA would be irrelevant anyway.

Do you mind if I ask why this is such an issue for you?

*NB: not a precise statistic

Last edited:
Nothing to do with her being weaker or stronger. Real men don't hit woman and any man that doesn't if a weak cowardly scum bag like the bloke in the video.
Unlike you, i do not discriminate on gender. Hitting is wrong, regardless of the sex of the attacker and receiver.

Unlike you, i do not discriminate on gender. Hitting is wrong, regardless of the sex of the attacker and receiver.

Don't give a toss about how morally superior you think you are men hitting woman is low and cowardly if you can't see that your probably a man that does think it's fine to raise your hand now and again.

Latest posts