TRF C A Iversen

Rugby Gaming Nut
TRF Legend
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
Highlanders
Rugby Challenge - First Q & A

With the news that SIDHE are bringing us a new rugby game next year, we grabbed a few moments with SIDHE MD Mario Wynands to ask a few questions about the up and coming Rugby Challenge game.

1) Will this be restricted to internationals or is it going to contain
club teams as well?

MW: Rugby Challenge includes both international and club teams.

2) Could you possibly expand on some of the customisation options? For
example, create a player/nation/team?

MW: Our previous sports games have been known for their extensive
customisation options around players, teams, competitions, and the game
experience itself. We'll be providing more details in the future, but
gamers can expect to be able to customise the game significantly if they
choose.

3) Can you confirm which consoles the game is headed to? The three
next gen consoles? Will there be a Wii version? If so, will you look
to use RL3 as a base? Will you be bringing out PSP and DS versions?

MW: Specific platforms will be announced in the future. At this stage we
are only confirming the game is coming to "console and PC".

4) Will the franchise mode incorporate international tournaments and
representative matches?

MW: The gamer will be able to play both representative and international
matches as part of the franchise mode.

5) Do you have an estimated release date? Will this be worldwide or
region by region?

MW: Rugby Challenge will release in the third quarter of 2011. Specific
dates and regions will be announced in the future.

6) Do you have any plans to release the game in the USA?

MW: I am unsure at this stage of specific distribution plans. However, it
is much easier currently to make a ***le multi region capable, so even if
it turns out the game isn't explicitly distributed in North America people
there should be able to play it on their consoles if they can get hold of a copy from overseas.

A big thanks to Mario for taking the time to answer our questions.

MW: I am unsure at this stage of specific distribution plans. However, it
is much easier currently to make a ***le multi region capable, so even if
it turns out the game isn't explicitly distributed in North America people
there should be able to play it on their consoles if they can get hold of a copy from overseas.
1 billion points for Mario!

it's great that other studios are interested in making rugby union games! Maybe we should sign a petition to make the world cup happen more often, it seems the only thing that drives the studios to make games

Man, wouldn't it had been great if HB teamed up with Sidhe... they put all their work together and made one completely superb rugby union game???... if they put all their elements together as one it would be the best game to hit ps3

Here's a crazy thought, but maybe they could both be top quality games for a change? I could live with that. :)

they will hopefully both be different games and I think competition is good for the consumer too. nice little interview a bit more information gathered to add to what has already been announced. more will come over the coming months and next year leading up to the release no doubt

Great stuff Mario! Seems to be pretty up front with the info he is giving out, I prefer this than the HB guy's giving it the 'possibly' treatment. Customisation is fantastic too, great news. With all the eager beavers out there I'm sure there will be many a classic team created for download.

Found this while having a browse this morning. From a respectable online shopping site in NZ.

http://www.mightyape.co.nz/product/Xbox-360/Rugby-Challenge-2011/9196852/

"Home Entertainment Suppliers Pty Ltd (HES) and Gamewizz Digital Entertainment (GDE) announced today the development of Rugby Challenge for console and PC, by Wellington based games developer Sidhe. The rugby union based ***le seeks to capture the attention of a growing number of rugby fans around the world.

Rugby Challenge will include the All Blacks, ITM Cup, and Investec Super Rugby amongst other licensed teams and competitions, and will feature multiplayer online play, a multi-year franchise mode, extensive customisation options, and dynamic real-time commentary.

New Zealand Rugby Union Commercial Manager Paul Dalton said they were delighted to be able to put their support behind Rugby Challenge. "We are very excited to be able to now offer fans an authentic gaming experience that includes our key competitions" he said. "

Ha! thats awesome, although it hasn't been announced whether it's even gonna be on 360 yet...

if its not on ps3 or ps2 im gonna be completely gutted

Already a topic about this....

It's called Another Rugby Game Being Made, and it's not all about which platform release will be on either. It's valid to discuss platform speculation in either thread.

I'm very confident that the game will be on my PS3 come whenever next year.:)

yep can't wait for this.... as long as HES don't muck up the distribution on this like they have with RLL I'll be happy - Still to receive my copy from Play.com (not Hes's fault but kinda is with my "GAME" situation), ordered it 2 weeks ago, and still no copy :( :( i get the feeling its been lost. The way things are going i'll probs receive RLL when this game gets released..... so i'll be playing union then instead of league (which isn't a bad thing). anyways can't wait for more info/screen for both Rugby 2012 and Rugby Challenge :D

not releasing it on ps3 would be commercial suicide, you'd have to think they would be doing both x360 and ps3.

well 08 was released on ps2 not ps3... that wasn't commercial suicide.

well 08 was released on ps2 not ps3... that wasn't commercial suicide.

Which was in 2007.
Most gamers have now switched to PS3 and 360 since then.

I can't see them wanting to release a rugby game on only one console, there is obviously a much bigger market combined.

The "multi-year franchise mode" has already sold me, now we just have to hope for NH licensing.

Hopefully this will pressure HB to look into more features than a core gameplay experience.

Latest posts