• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[Six Nations 2018] Round 3: Ireland vs Wales (24/02/2018)

Yeah honestly can't say I was enthusiastic with Jackson's breakdown interpretation, but that's just something you have to adapt to as a team, which I thought Ireland did and we didn't.

Not sure if you can single anyone out for blame, though I have to say for the 3rd match in a row I barely noticed Moriarty being on the pitch. I personally probably put that down to him getting back to fitness, but I feel we probably would've done better with Faletau's workrate at the breakdown.

Moriarty had a shocker by his standards. He's meant to be one of the fiercest tacklers in the game, but he was bumped off by Leavy way to easily in the build-up to his try. He had very little impact on proceedings, and I'm fairly certain he'll lose his place.

I'd keep Shingler personally, because his work at the lineout can't be matched by anyone else in the Welsh squad. I think Navidi's place should come under threat though, not necessarily as a reflection of how he's been playing (he still played well outside the breakdown Saturday), but more a reflection of the quality we have at 7. I want to see James Davies tested, he fully deserves it, and he could add a huge amount to the breakdown.

The front row were pretty poor as well and that's a real shame, because they've been excellent this season up until now. We've got some options at looshead and hooker, so it'll be interesting to see if Gatland changes things there. Nicky Smith for example is back playing some superb stuff for the Ospreys, including scrummaging strongly.

Is there also an opportunity to test Seb Davies, even if it's off the bench?

For Scotland I'd parachute Ringrose and Conway in for Farrell and Kearney and have Farrell on the bench with Ringrose covering wing from the pitch as well as bring the injuries back where you'd expect them. Harsh on Farrell but this is international rugby and we need to get our best players on the pitch once we have proven back ups. Conway comes in with a chance to take the 15 jersey for Twickenham but with it no way guaranteed.

I agree about Conway and Ringrose but I'd move Farrell to 12. Aki hasn't been bad but has made a good few mistakes. Henderson for Toner and Furlong for Porter would be the other changes I'd like to see.

Moriarty had a shocker by his standards. He's meant to be one of the fiercest tacklers in the game, but he was bumped off by Leavy way to easily in the build-up to his try. He had very little impact on proceedings, and I'm fairly certain he'll lose his place.

I'd keep Shingler personally, because his work at the lineout can't be matched by anyone else in the Welsh squad. I think Navidi's place should come under threat though, not necessarily as a reflection of how he's been playing (he still played well outside the breakdown Saturday), but more a reflection of the quality we have at 7. I want to see James Davies tested, he fully deserves it, and he could add a huge amount to the breakdown.

The front row were pretty poor as well and that's a real shame, because they've been excellent this season up until now. We've got some options at looshead and hooker, so it'll be interesting to see if Gatland changes things there. Nicky Smith for example is back playing some superb stuff for the Ospreys, including scrummaging strongly.

Is there also an opportunity to test Seb Davies, even if it's off the bench?

Considering that we're realistically out of ***le contention then we should really be looking at trying out new things over the next two games. Nothing too drastic naturally, as while I expect us to beat both at home we shouldn't take that for granted.

I'd love to see a Shingler - J Davies - Faletau backrow be given a run out in one of the next two games, though I expect Tips will likely be the starting 7.

Seb Davies is having a superb season so far, and I see him as a far better prospect than Cory Hill so I'd be happy with him coming into the starting XV or bench.

I'd like us to try a few new things out for the Italy game and bring some youngsters in - maybe Watkin and Parkes in the centres, mix up the back 3 a bit, Liam, Evans and Amos/North, with Amos/North or Adams off the bench? Another one who I think deserves 20 or so mins off the bench in Tomos Williams - He's been fantastic for the Blues over the last two season and I really see him as a long term option at 9, and this would be the perfect opportunity to get some game time in the Welsh shirt ahead of 2019.

I hope Patch comes back in too and is given a bit of freedom to play.

I agree about Seb Davies and Tomos Williams, they are not only players for the future but about the same level of the player currently as the ones they would be replacing. For me Patchell has to start the next game, he is the future and extra game time will only help him get better. I've also thought that Moriaty has been a bit under cooked this 6 nations which isn't surprising given the amount of time he was out. The last two games are at home so I would like to see Wales play an attacking and exciting team, wouldn't mind seeing Adams get another chance. For the Italy game I would go for:

L Williams, Amos, Watkins , Parkes, Evans, Patchell, G Davies, Faleteau, Navadi, Shingler, S Davies, AW Jones, Wyn Jones, Dee, Lee

Owens, R Evans, Lewis, Hill, Tipric, T Williams, Anscombe, North

31mins on this video shows our ruck possession. (Again good stuff but these guys do set up a narrative and ignore anything that doesn't suit it)

Again this shows we don't struggle to make metres outside the 22 but we have a lot of rucks inside it, depending on the ref we would have to be a bit more clinical in the 22. Jackson was ok and Barnes should be ok because they're strict on jacklers but when Owens wasn't (And French refs won't be because they allow a battle at the breakdown) we had to fight a bit more for possession and weren't able to score with less structure. I can see the calls for a playmaking 12 returning after that but I'm not sure how effective that'll be with the limiting factor in this regard being Murray's biggest weakness in being slightly slower getting the ball away than the likes of Smith and Perenara and Sexton's which is not being a hot stepper, obviously nothing we can change there but something needs to be looked at and improved, after the inexperience in defence its our biggest weakness at the moment.

It's been part of our strategy for a while that we play with more width outside the 22 and tighten up when inside it. It's not without merit. The opposing team will usually have more players in the defensive line inside the 22 and tight play is needed to suck them in and also a generally more reliable way to keep moving forward as if they're numbers up they can blitz.

Still we're clearly that bit too stringent to it and could do with some more adaptability.

Still we're clearly that bit too stringent to it and could do with some more adaptability.

Yep - we definitely need to establish communication signals or paths from the two wings to scrum half.

i.e. its the role of the wing to identify the best means to exploit the space their in (if it can be exploited at all), its the role of the 10 to scan the two touchlines (i.e. what are the wings signalling) when ball goes to contact, if the wings are calling for it, then when the 9 approaches the ruck he has to scan to 10, if signal received he then either kicks direct or passes to 10 for the kick.

Here are the signals for (i) drilled kick - right arm up, (ii) lofted kick - left arm up or (iii) through the hands - both arms up - 'cos we've a big numbers overlap. No signal = keep truckin' with the pack.

Obviously the coaches know far better from me what works - but the further you are from the play, the more you can see the shape of the field. That view has to be used rather than descend to tunnel vision and one out runners.

I can imagine Sexton's lower back was where he was hurt, probably with an imbalance on the right side because of the way he was leaking his kicks right every time. Overall I'm pretty happy with the game, I won't say performance because a lot was left out there between missed kicks, bad defence and another couple of examples of inaccuracy in the 22. (although my dad in the stadium said Jackson was directly in the passing lane between Murray and Aki for that knock-on which is amateurish)

Positives were definitely the attack, we have a back three who are better cutting through defences rather than going around them and are utilising that well, we have strength in depth in positions we thought we were thread bare in 6 months ago in midfield, tight head and lock but better third choice options for the first two will be needed because the bench was weak and let Wales into it late on.

Leavy and Earls are heroes and I thought they were our top performers, Farrell has proven to be far better than I gave him credit for, once Stockdale is as good without the ball as he is with it he'll be one of the best around, Porter shouldn't be legal.

For Scotland I'd parachute Ringrose and Conway in for Farrell and Kearney and have Farrell on the bench with Ringrose covering wing from the pitch as well as bring the injuries back where you'd expect them. Harsh on Farrell but this is international rugby and we need to get our best players on the pitch once we have proven back ups. Conway comes in with a chance to take the 15 jersey for Twickenham but with it no way guaranteed.
I wouldn't say " you let us back in" it's when we got possession and "hands on ball" we were very clinical and our tries were the result of some excellent play especially the Williams offload and the sluggish Irish defense out wide it has to be said , it was inevitable that we would get some possession at some point in the match . But to say you let us back in is not what happened you were good for the win because dominated for 60 mins .

I wouldn't say " you let us back in" it's when we got possession and "hands on ball" we were very clinical and our tries were the result of some excellent play especially the Williams offload and the sluggish Irish defense out wide it has to be said , it was inevitable that we would get some possession at some point in the match . But to say you let us back in is not what happened you were good for the win because dominated for 60 mins .
Perspective innit!

hats off the the irish they dominated a talented welsh side with keep ball...good discipline against the weakest welsh defence in over a decade
gatland is a spineless joke picking biggar who aint played for ages and cant get any backline going. hes also failed to give new caps for 18 months after world cup 2015 so has arrested our development massively

team for italy

1 nicky smith
2 elliot dee
3 thom francis
4 cory hill
5 bradley davies
6 shingler
7 james davies
8 faletau
9 gareth davies
10 rhys patchell
11 steff evans