• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[Six Nations 2018] Round 3: Ireland vs Wales (24/02/2018)

Aled our S&C coach got a message here in Munster saying Biggar won't play. Any truth in this that Gatland playing mind games

Agree on a fit Halfpenny going straight back in and can see why the coaches would also go with Biggar if also fit. Biggar obviously has a lot of detractors but has performed in big games overshadowing Sexton on a couple of occasions. He definitely doesn't spark an offence as well as Ford, Sexton or Russell (or even Patchell, Prietland and maybe even Anscombe) but he has a great temperament in an arm wrestle and that is incredibly important at 10. Still, Murray and Sexton are a world class combination so both Biggar and Davies will have to be at their best to mount any genuine challenge.

Gutted for Patchell and just hope that he doesn't go the way of many players with enough talent to cover many positions and because of this never have enough time in a position to master it (James Hook comes to mind).

Nice to see Liam Williams back but I definitely could've done with seeing a little more Adams, think he has a great chance to maintain his place within the squad regardless of who returns to fitness. Also happy to see Stef Evans keep his place and think North along with Anscombe are two priceless backs subs, covering pretty much everything apart from scrum half.

I think the forward battle may well result in a stalemate due to an abundance of quality within both 8's, leaving the backs to decide the outcome.

Porter acquitted himself rather well when he come on against Italy however losing a player of Furlong's ability will hurt any team.

Warren Gatland Has Blunt Response When Asked If Ireland Are The Best Team In Six Nations

http://www.punditarena.com/rugby/bb.../?utm_medium=facebook&utm_source=stoppagetime
and can justifiably feel aggrieved after being denied victory in Twickenham.
Uhhh no they can't they can possibly feel aggrieved they were denied the opportunity to be closer but victory that's a massive push. But the chamge on grounding wouldn't of led to victory even if the game played out exactly the same after that happened (which nobody knows what would been happened. The only way you can ever feel justifiably denied victory if a decision like that happens, it is clear cut (there is still the matter that the knock on happened), would meant you scored winning points without the conversion, in the dying moments of the game with no opportunity for the opposition to score more points in return.

Ireland best team in six nations? Absolutely debateable when compared to England, better than wales on paper you betcha.

Why would anyone say any team other than England as the best in the 6 Nations? They have won the last two years and have won their first two games so far.

Why would anyone say any team other than England as the best in the 6 Nations? They have won the last two years and have won their first two games so far.
Ireland having beaten both England and New Zealand in the past two years and beaten England in the championship (the only team to have even beaten them) I think can lay some claim to being potentially the better side but maybe not the most consistent.

My money would still England as best side but I don't think Irelands claim can be dismissed entirely.

Home advantage plays such a big part these days. Would be great if there was scope for playing each team home and away but failing that when you aggregate the last two years standings England and Ireland are in a league of their own ahead of the rest. Gatland may not accept that but it's reality.

Ireland having beaten both England and New Zealand in the past two years and beaten England in the championship (the only team to have even beaten them) I think can lay some claim to being potentially the better side but maybe not the most consistent.

My money would still England as best side but I don't think Irelands claim can be dismissed entirely.

Fair comment yet Wales have 2 wins and a draw from their last 3 meetings with the Irish. So if the Irish are there or thereabouts I'd argue that Wales could not be too far behind using the same logic.

Porter being out is bad news, we'll lose a lot in the scrum regardless of who replaces him.
Team will probably be
1. Healy
2. Best
3. Porter
4. Ryan
5. Toner
6. POM
7. Leavy
8. Stander
9. Murray
10. Sexton
11. Stockdale
12. Aki
13. Farrell
14. Earls
15. Kearney

16. Cronin
17. McGrath
18. Ryan
19. Dillane/ Roux
20. Conan
21. Marmion
22. Carbery
23. McFadden

Think there will be a good deal of fighting fire with fire in the selections. Wouldn't call either of our centres great distributors, both offloading threats, but that's not something we do a lot of.

Fair comment yet Wales have 2 wins and a draw from their last 3 meetings with the Irish. So if the Irish are there or thereabouts I'd argue that Wales could not be too far behind using the same logic.
I think you can slowly go down the rankings and make the same logic throughout for the teams just above them. The reality is in this world cup cycle Wales have not beaten England or New Zealand where as Ireland have. The yardstick is to claim to have be the best you have to beat the best Wales haven't done that.

Would I argue Wales are not far behind I think that's a fair comment but I think it fair to say they are behind.

I think you can slowly go down the rankings and make the same logic throughout for the teams just above them. The reality is in this world cup cycle Wales have not beaten England or New Zealand where as Ireland have. The yardstick is to claim to have be the best you have to beat the best Wales haven't done that.

Would I argue Wales are not far behind I think that's a fair comment but I think it fair to say they are behind.

Well considering the perception outside of Wales... of Wales, going into this years 6 Nations that's decent progress.

Porter being out is bad news, we'll lose a lot in the scrum regardless of who replaces him.
Team will probably be
1. Healy
2. Best
3. Porter
4. Ryan
5. Toner
6. POM
7. Leavy
8. Stander
9. Murray
10. Sexton
11. Stockdale
12. Aki
13. Farrell
14. Earls
15. Kearney

16. Cronin
17. McGrath
18. Ryan
19. Dillane/ Roux
20. Conan
21. Marmion
22. Carbery
23. McFadden

Think there will be a good deal of fighting fire with fire in the selections. Wouldn't call either of our centres great distributors, both offloading threats, but that's not something we do a lot of.
Possibly that but what a poor looking bench. No real impact except for Cronin. Again can't really complain as there isn't much alternatives. Maybe Conway for McFadden but well not a whole lot. Think maybe Porter benching and coming on may be more suitable in terms of impact.

Has the makings of an arm wrestling contest though

Didn't realise until checking just now how well Wales have done at the aviva.

Having said that, Wales have been stronger in the past than they are now and Ireland have been weaker in those years. It's extremely hard to imagine a Welsh win, especially in an arm wrestle, which is why I don't remotely understand Bigger coming back in.

Didn't realise until checking just now how well Wales have done at the aviva.

Having said that, Wales have been stronger in the past than they are now and Ireland have been weaker in those years. It's extremely hard to imagine a Welsh win, especially in an arm wrestle, which is why I don't remotely understand Bigger coming back in.

I along with every other Welshman would love to have a consistently high performing expansive fly half but we have struggled to nurture one out since jiff. As disappointed as I am for Patch, he along with Anscombe (who went on to have a decent all around game) failed positionally against England... and Ireland will focus on a kicking game much more than England did. Biggar and Halfpenney does blunt our attack some but they are the better option in the circumstances.

If Patch (or Priestland) had had ownership of the shirt for a longer period it may have been different.

Biggar is a senior player, so is in direct contact with the management around fixes etc. and was also on the Lions tour with Sexton and Murray, so has observed the way they operate closely and in pressure situations. I'm not his biggest fan but as long as he's fit, I can see the upside.

Tadhg Furlong would be a big loss.

If Andrew Porter comes in to start and plays well, what does it mean for John Ryan's international future? Porter is better around the field but can't lock a scrum as well as Ryan. I can't see much value in Ryan if he's relegated to 3rd choice tighthead whose only role is to lock a scrum. Better going with an all rounder like Finlay Bealham or perhaps Marty Moore for his work over the ball instead.

I say this as a fan of John Ryan. Had he emerged 10 years ago, he'd challenge Mike Ross and have won 40-50 caps.

I'd fancy England to win 6 of every 10 games against Ireland. They're closely matched teams though.

I think Ireland would beat England more often than not but England are a better team overall. I don't think England have a breakdown good enough to beat us in the style Wales and Scotland did last year.

Latest posts