• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Six Nations-Players to Watch

M

munster

I'll probably watch all this years Six Nations matches and I was wondering are there any young talents that should be featuring some time. I know Luke Fitzgerald will be missing for Irelad so it could give someone like Keith Earls a chance to shine on the international stage. Also I hope to see Dan Bigger feature at least once for Wales...
So if there is anyone you'll be watching just tell us about him...

For England i think Cole, Kennedy, Lawes, Robshaw, Geraghty, Foden and Ashton could flourish should they be given a chance, but i don't really see it happening.

I'd like to say Courtney Lawes, but 4/7 on says he'll be sitting on the bench for all but 10 minutes of every game. If he's even kept in the EPS.

For Wales I'd say Biggar if he is given the chance ie a start against Italy and maybe Scotland. Warburton and Lydiate will hopefully perform well when they get a chance.

I'll be interested to see how Sean Cronin gets on if he gets any serious game time.

Yup, Biggar is the form 10 at regional level, really controlling things for the Ospreys. Some of his tactical kicking has been superb, not to mention the little chips, breaks and support running. If he get's enough gametime, he'll be challenging Stephen Jones for the starting jersey by the end of the championship. Tom James could be one to watch if he get's selected. Does make mistakes, but also creates so much (was the best Blues player against Edinburough last night). Up front, Waberton, Lydiate and Ken Owens if they get gametime.

Scotland - Murray - he has been out of rugby due to injury and it will be interesting to see how he performs, back on the international stage.
Ireland - Sexton - the young lad has to start for Ireland, and after solid performances it will be nice to see him get even better.
England - Coles - I would expect Johnson to have Coles in his team, he has been playing very well for Leicester.
Wales - Roberts - I hope he will continue on his form and grow into an even better player.

England hopefuls:

1) Dan Coles. I'd not been paying much attention to him, but Leicester have been scrumming teams all over the park and he ripped Tim Payne apart (admittedly not too hard) yesterday. Very present in the loose too. I'd pick him at 3 straightaway now.

2) Courtney Lawes to get a good amount of gametime. Simon Shaw is the 'brutish' lock and in charge of the 4 shirt. However, he's getting on and will get tired. Lawes' underuse in the Autumn was criminal. Let's f***ing wack him on after an hour and see if he can't knock Shaw out of the starting lineup.

3) Toby Flood. He really has to start at 10. And hopefully he can make it his own. He's a very attacking, with a far better kicking game than JW and improving place-kicking. He's also more single-minded, so he can manage a game much better when other players around him aren't so good.

4) Riki Flutey. I hope he's fit and on his 2009 form. Because after adapting to Test level, he was excellent for England and the Lions.

5) Anthony Allen or Jon Clarke. Hipkiss may not be quite up to international level. I'd like to see one of these tried and tested as a 13.

6) Chris Ashton. I wouldn't start him, but it would be great to see him play at some point - you can't ignore the try-scoring record, especially if you're England. Also, I really don't want to see Banahan.

7) Delon Armitage. Just because I'm praying that Foden does not start at fullback. I don't care how much of a mazy runner he is. So was Iain f***ing Balshaw. One of the big things England should have learnt from the noughties is not to pick a clown at fullback. Balshaw was a nutter, Monye couldn't catch a high ball, and from what I've seen of Foden, he can't even be sure to be in the same postcode when the ball lands. What's more - attacking players who thrive in the premiership can often be far less effective against international defences.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gavin @ Jan 10 2010, 07:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Wales - Roberts - I hope he will continue on his form and grow into an even better player.[/b]

What form? lol

Dan Biggar definately, must be given gametime!!

Wales: Sam Warburton, Dan Biggar, Ken Owens
Ireland: Johnathan Sexton, Keith Earls, Fionn Carr
England: Courtney Lawes, Shane Gerrety, Chris Ashton
Scotland: Johnnie Beatie, Rory Jackson, Erm, someone else young.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Jan 10 2010, 07:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
from what I've seen of Foden, he can't even be sure to be in the same postcode when the ball lands.[/b]

Don't believe all this ******** the media or the so-called "experts" on 606 who never watch games tell you based purely on Saints v Munster. He's just as good as any other fullbacks under the high ball and made Armatidge look like a buffoon last week.

Comparing him to Balshaw is an insult quite frankly.

France: Barcella, Servat, Harinordoquy, Dusautoir, Michalak, David, Bastareaud, Poitrenaud, Fall

Some come backs expected with Basta and Harinordoquy not having played with Les Bleus in a while (Bastareaud scored an unbelievable try against Biarritz this weekend, he's definitely back in form), and Michalak and Poitrenaud could also be called back since Dupuy will be missing at 9 and Poitrenaud is having an interesting season. David to finally show the rest of the world that he is a world class center, quick and immensely powerful.
Fall had a very promising debut against Samoa in the autumn, I hope he'll be given a chance to confirm our hopes, provided he's not injured come the 6N
Barcella, with Servat and possibly Marconnet to give a hard time to their counterparts!

6N>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>any other competition of any other sport. :bana:

For Ireland don't be surprised (although from bench) O'Brien from Leinster to be a player to keep an eye on.

Also Cronin at #2 will get a chance as reserve (maybe starting if Fla struggles)

And Earls can really make big statement and cement a spot making it hard for Luke to get back in on wing although hope to see Luke return at 12 as he has all the attributes.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (elgringoborracho @ Jan 10 2010, 09:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
France: Barcella, Servat, Harinordoquy, Dusautoir, Michalak, David, Bastareaud, Poitrenaud, Fall

Some come backs expected with Basta and Harinordoquy not having played with Les Bleus in a while (Bastareaud scored an unbelievable try against Biarritz this weekend, he's definitely back in form), and Michalak and Poitrenaud could also be called back since Dupuy will be missing at 9 and Poitrenaud is having an interesting season. David to finally show the rest of the world that he is a world class center, quick and immensely powerful.
Fall had a very promising debut against Samoa in the autumn, I hope he'll be given a chance to confirm our hopes, provided he's not injured come the 6N
Barcella, with Servat and possibly Marconnet to give a hard time to their counterparts!

6N>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>any other competition of any other sport. :bana:[/b]

Of your 9 players 7 are already established international players. Who in France might play who we haven't heard of much if at all?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bristol-iain @ Jan 10 2010, 11:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (elgringoborracho @ Jan 10 2010, 09:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Of your 9 players 7 are already established international players. Who in France might play who we haven't heard of much if at all?
[/b][/quote]

Well if Michalak comes back, it will probably be at number 9 and after such a long time without playing in a blue shirt I think he still fits your category, same thing for Poitrenaud. Fall and David are to me two of the upcoming yougsters that could impress a lot of people during the 6N. I hope we can also see more of Lapandry, the young Clermont flanker, he has impressed me a lot lately.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bullitt @ Jan 10 2010, 08:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Jan 10 2010, 07:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
from what I've seen of Foden, he can't even be sure to be in the same postcode when the ball lands.[/b]

Don't believe all this ******** the media or the so-called "experts" on 606 who never watch games tell you based purely on Saints v Munster. He's just as good as any other fullbacks under the high ball and made Armatidge look like a buffoon last week.

Comparing him to Balshaw is an insult quite frankly.
[/b][/quote]

I rarely believe anything the media say about anything. I've watched Foden and he's done that several other times. And from the highlights I watched of last week I saw Foden do nothing apart from gift Irish a try, Balshaw style.

For Ireland, I expect Jonathan Sexton and Stephen Ferris to be our best performing younger players, with Keith Earls and Sean Cronin there or thereabouts as well.

Competition for the left wing is going to be hot, Keith Earls and Andrew Trimble are both looking excellent right now, Trimble in particular is looking better than ever. After he burst on to the scene in 2006, I thought he would go straight to the top, he seems to be taking the scenic route, but he is hopefully still on course.

Luke Fitzgerald, Andrew Trimble, Keith Earls. Left Wing won't be a problem for us for a long time, with plenty of young guys playing there coming through as well.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (elgringoborracho @ Jan 10 2010, 09:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

I thought the FFR banned Bastereaud from playing for les Bleus for a while after his little trip and story telling? I swear I read they wouldn't play him for a year or something.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Jan 10 2010, 10:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I rarely believe anything the media say about anything. I've watched Foden and he's done that several other times. And from the highlights I watched of last week I saw Foden do nothing apart from gift Irish a try, Balshaw style.[/b]

So anyone who's ever given away an intercept try should now be compared to Balshaw?

That'll include Reihana, Armatidge, Catt, Lewsey, Robinson, Cohen, Catt, Greenwood, Wilkinson, Certer, Giteau, Mortlock, O'Driscoll, Michelak, Spencer, Mehertens, anyone and everyone who JdV has ever played against...

Thinking about it, when has Balshaw actually given away a try through an intercepted pass? I can think of many positional howlers, charged kicks and O'Gara-esc tackles that led to conceeding, but never an intercept pass.

Latest posts