• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Six Nations Team Of The Tournament

G

gingergenius

Surprised there's no thread on this yet. We've seen a few superb players this 6N - and here's my 22:

1. Thomas Domingo
2. William Servat
3. Nicholas Mas
4. Alastair Kellock
5. Lionel Nallet
6. Kelly Brown
7. John Barclay
8. Johnnie Beattie
9. Pablo Canavosio
10. Francois Trinh-Duc
11. Shane Williams
12. Yannick Jauzion
13. Mathieu Bastareaud
14. Tommy Bowe
15. Clement Poitrenaud

16. Ross Ford
17. Euan Murray
18. Pascal Pape
19. Imanol Harinordoquy
20. Morgan Parra
21. Dan Parks
22. Keith Earls

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Mar 23 2010, 04:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Surprised there's no thread on this yet. We've seen a few superb players this 6N - and here's my 22:

1. Thomas Domingo
2. William Servat
3. Nicholas Mas
4. Alastair Kellock
5. Lionel Nallet
6. Kelly Brown
7. John Barclay
8. Johnnie Beattie
9. Pablo Canavosio
10. Francois Trinh-Duc
11. Shane Williams
12. Yannick Jauzion
13. Mathieu Bastareaud
14. Tommy Bowe
15. Clement Poitrenaud

16. Ross Ford
17. Euan Murray
18. Pascal Pape
19. Imanol Harinordoquy
20. Morgan Parra
21. Dan Parks
22. Keith Earls[/b]

No Dussautoir?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Mar 23 2010, 10:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

1. Thomas Domingo
2. William Servat
3. Nicholas Mas
4. Alastair Kellock
5. Lionel Nallet
6. Kelly Brown
7. John Barclay
8. Johnnie Beattie
9. Pablo Canavosio
10. Francois Trinh-Duc
11. Shane Williams
12. Yannick Jauzion
13. Mathieu Bastareaud
14. Tommy Bowe
15. Clement Poitrenaud

16. Ross Ford
17. Euan Murray
18. Pascal Pape
19. Imanol Harinordoquy
20. Morgan Parra
21. Dan Parks
22. Keith Earls[/b]

Imanol Harinordoquy was the standout player of the tournament, he can't be on the bench.

1. Thomas Domingo
2. William Servat
3. Adam Jones
4. Bradley Davies
5. Lionel Nallet
6. Theirre Dusitaor
7. John Barclay
8. Johnnie Beattie/Imanol Harinordoquy
9. Morgan Parra
10. Dan Parks
11. Shane Williams
12. Yannick Jauzion/Jamie Roberts
13. Mathieu Bastareaud
14. Tommy Bowe/Sean Lamont
15. Clement Poitrenaud

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DuncTheDoodle @ Mar 23 2010, 08:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
1. Thomas Domingo
2. William Servat
3. Adam Jones
4. Bradley Davies
5. Lionel Nallet
6. Theirre Dusitaor
7. John Barclay
8. Johnnie Beattie/Imanol Harinordoquy
9. Morgan Parra
10. Dan Parks
11. Shane Williams
12. Yannick Jauzion/Jamie Roberts
13. Mathieu Bastareaud
14. Tommy Bowe/Sean Lamont
15. Clement Poitrenaud[/b]

Adding Welsh players for fun?

Barnsies team:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
1 Thomas Domingo â€" One of the most disciplined French props of recent years. He breaks opponents with legitimate technical excellence. He is almost a disappointment to the French front row union.

2 Matthew Rees â€" On a good day Rees can bustle around the field with the best of them and this was one of those better days; accurate in the tight and off loading in the loose.

3 Nicholas Mas â€" The Perpignan man has come of age as an international prop of the highest quality. He is the foundation on this Grand Slam team.

4 Lionel Nallet â€" He is no longer the captain of France but still at the very heart of the forward effort that drove them to victory when the pretty boys didn’t dazzle.

5 Alastair Kellock â€" Scotland must have relished this performance that was mobile over the ground and spring heeled at the line out; Paul O’Connell didn’t.

6 Thierry Dusautoir â€" When his team mates began to panic the captain of France intensified his efforts both as a back row forward setting an example and a captain keeping calm; even the All Blacks would take him.

7 Sam Warburton â€" How good is the man who replaced Martyn Williams? Until he faces slightly stronger opposition we will not know but the signs were superb in Cardiff. Soft hands and some engine, the boy can play.

8 John Beattie â€" He smashed over for a crucial try and spear headed the excellent Scottish back row. He has been second only to Imanol Harinordoquy as a No 8 this tournament.

9 Danny Care â€" Martin Johnson called Care’s performance his best yet in an England shirt. Now, Johnson has said a few odd things in post match interviews but this was not one of them.

10 Dan Parks â€" His general game was good, his distribution excellent and the kick to beat Ireland an unforgettable effort. The penalty capped a season where Parks has played well enough to send a two fingered salute to his legion of detractors. I’m off, Dan.

11 Shane Williams â€" The record books will show another try but what struck most was the intelligence of his running lines in midfield, constantly creating space for others. The man is a wizard, which they’ll take, no doubt as a compliment in Aberavon.

12 Graeme Morrison â€" There are signs of deviation in the old boy. A little step off the line and he’s finsing space behind international defences. Without the ball he was strong enough to match Ireland’s terrier centres.

13 James Hook â€" He might not have been television’s man of the match but he won my vote. He is a man of changing lines and gentle passes; a man of exquisite talent who seems to have found his international position in the centre.

14 Mark Cueto â€" He has not scored an international try for what seems an eternity for a winger but his effort and intelligence was quite outstanding in Paris; one of, if not the, best reader of a game in England.

15 Ben Foden â€" The try was typically photogenic Foden but the command of the air on a filthy night was in not what some feared based upon his occasional errant defensive game at club level. The Northampton man relished the challenge; England must now relish Ben Foden.[/b]

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bullitt @ Mar 23 2010, 11:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Barnsies team:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
1 Thomas Domingo â€" One of the most disciplined French props of recent years. He breaks opponents with legitimate technical excellence. He is almost a disappointment to the French front row union.

2 Matthew Rees â€" On a good day Rees can bustle around the field with the best of them and this was one of those better days; accurate in the tight and off loading in the loose.

3 Nicholas Mas â€" The Perpignan man has come of age as an international prop of the highest quality. He is the foundation on this Grand Slam team.

4 Lionel Nallet â€" He is no longer the captain of France but still at the very heart of the forward effort that drove them to victory when the pretty boys didn't dazzle.

5 Alastair Kellock â€" Scotland must have relished this performance that was mobile over the ground and spring heeled at the line out; Paul O'Connell didn't.

6 Thierry Dusautoir â€" When his team mates began to panic the captain of France intensified his efforts both as a back row forward setting an example and a captain keeping calm; even the All Blacks would take him.

7 Sam Warburton â€" How good is the man who replaced Martyn Williams? Until he faces slightly stronger opposition we will not know but the signs were superb in Cardiff. Soft hands and some engine, the boy can play.

8 John Beattie â€" He smashed over for a crucial try and spear headed the excellent Scottish back row. He has been second only to Imanol Harinordoquy as a No 8 this tournament.

9 Danny Care â€" Martin Johnson called Care's performance his best yet in an England shirt. Now, Johnson has said a few odd things in post match interviews but this was not one of them.

10 Dan Parks â€" His general game was good, his distribution excellent and the kick to beat Ireland an unforgettable effort. The penalty capped a season where Parks has played well enough to send a two fingered salute to his legion of detractors. I'm off, Dan.

11 Shane Williams â€" The record books will show another try but what struck most was the intelligence of his running lines in midfield, constantly creating space for others. The man is a wizard, which they'll take, no doubt as a compliment in Aberavon.

12 Graeme Morrison â€" There are signs of deviation in the old boy. A little step off the line and he's finsing space behind international defences. Without the ball he was strong enough to match Ireland's terrier centres.

13 James Hook â€" He might not have been television's man of the match but he won my vote. He is a man of changing lines and gentle passes; a man of exquisite talent who seems to have found his international position in the centre.

14 Mark Cueto â€" He has not scored an international try for what seems an eternity for a winger but his effort and intelligence was quite outstanding in Paris; one of, if not the, best reader of a game in England.

15 Ben Foden â€" The try was typically photogenic Foden but the command of the air on a filthy night was in not what some feared based upon his occasional errant defensive game at club level. The Northampton man relished the challenge; England must now relish Ben Foden.[/b]
[/b][/quote]

This could be the team of the 5th round but not of the whole tournament in my humble opinion.

Trinh-Duc performed too well to not make that list. Parks played well, but Trinh-Duc was way above him, imo.
Hook played well, but no better than BOD or Basta (who, apart from the Scotland match, wasn't too spectacular)

Not the finest effort from Barnes, maybe he did put team of the tournament in instead of team of the week.

My team.

Poitrenaud - didn't actually do a poitrenaud throughout the tournament and offered the best attacking threat from full back as well as being solid at the back.
Bowe - showed what a class finisher he really is
Bastareaud - came of age this tournament especially with his performance against Ireland
Earls - probably the best of the Irish backs, great pace and quality finishing
Trinh Duc - the most consistent of the fly halves and able to get his back line moving
Parra - no contest here really, O'Leary had one good game but other than that they were all ****.
Domingo - dominant loosehead again no contest really.
Servat - may not have played the full 80 but when you've the quality of Szarewski on the bench you're not going to but what his general play was right up there.
Mas - dominant French scrum, largely down to the tighthead holding it together.
Davies - had a cracking tournament, even more impressive considering the personal factors.
Nallet - brings that needed composure to the French setup
Dusautoir - quality player, keeps on improving and looks even better now he's leading the team
Barclay - the whole backrow for Scotland has been outstanding but Barclay for me was the best of the lot.
Harinordoquy - probably nailed on for player of the tournament after his performances this season.

just keeping you on your toes. Literally goes without saying that Jauzion was the standout performer.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Mar 23 2010, 03:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

1. Thomas Domingo
2. William Servat
3. Nicholas Mas
4. Alastair Kellock
5. Lionel Nallet
6. Kelly Brown
7. John Barclay
8. Johnnie Beattie
9. Pablo Canavosio
10. Francois Trinh-Duc
11. Shane Williams
12. Yannick Jauzion
13. Mathieu Bastareaud
14. Tommy Bowe
15. Clement Poitrenaud

16. Ross Ford
17. Euan Murray
18. Pascal Pape
19. Imanol Harinordoquy
20. Morgan Parra
21. Dan Parks
22. Keith Earls[/b]

I'll just explain some of my choices.

Front row - bleeding obvious since the French destroyed everyone in the scrum. Ford and Murray had good tournaments as well.

2nd row - not impressed with anyone here, besides the French and Kellock

back row - Harinordoquy was the best player of the 6 nations. But Beattie was not so far behind and played really well with his Glasgow colleagues. I picked him to keep this combination together.

9 - Not impressed with anyone over the course of the tournament - Parra made a lot of poor decisions, Care shone occasionally... but when Canavosio was on the pitch, Italy were noticeably better. ***o Tebaldi has to be the worst scrum half I've seen since Bergamasco.

10 - Trinh-Duc steered France to a grand slam. Jones played well in patches, as did Parks.

outside backs - no argument. You could possibly have a think about James Hook, D'Arcy or even McLean... but no one else had that big an impact.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
back row - Harinordoquy was the best player of the 6 nations. But Beattie was not so far behind and played really well with his Glasgow colleagues. I picked him to keep this combination together.[/b]

Well Beattie is the least questionable player in your back row actually although I you pointed out Harinordoquy is better, not by much but better nonetheless. I don't understand why you selected these flankers.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DonBilly @ Mar 23 2010, 02:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
back row - Harinordoquy was the best player of the 6 nations. But Beattie was not so far behind and played really well with his Glasgow colleagues. I picked him to keep this combination together.[/b]

Well Beattie is the least questionable player in your back row actually although I you pointed out Harinordoquy is better, not by much but better nonetheless. I don't understand why you selected these flankers.
[/b][/quote]

Because Brown and Barclay both played well in every game...?

I know Trinh-Duc was good but look who he had playing around him.

Dan Parks deserves credit where credit is due in my opinion - 3 MOTM performances and he still misses out on a number of your lists.

We all seem to be in agreement that the front row, fullback and centres belong to the French, the back row to the scots, and the wings to the Irish

On the more contentious ones, I would say that Davies and Nallet were the outstanding performers in the second row, despite good performances from others. In the halfbacks, I think Canavosio deserves it for managing to shine in a terrible Italian side, and Parks probably pips Trinh-Duc to the 10 spot.

No English players get a mention, as we only turned up for the last round.
Only 1 Welshman because they really should have done far better than they did.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (iWin @ Mar 23 2010, 09:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
No English players get a mention, as we only turned up for the last round.[/b]
True, disappointingly.
Though if it was a 22, Foden would be in there

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rocket Singh @ Mar 23 2010, 09:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
1 - 23 : Dan Parks.

EDIT: f***ing Dan Parks like a motherf***er.[/b]
2008 6N:
1-23 LEE BYRNE LEE BYRNE LEE BYRNE LEE BYRNE

2009 6N:
BOD BOD BOD BOD BOD BOD BOD BOD

2010 6N:
DAN PARKS DAN PARKS DAN PARKS

Wonder which nations will be 2011? :p

1.Domingo
2.servat
3.mas
4.nallet
5.cullen
6. dussatoir
7. wallace
8 Harinorduqui ...and beattie so very close behid him
9.o leary
10. thrin duc
11.williams and earls right behind him
12. jauzion
13.its a bit meh here ..bod had a poor year by his standards ..hook only played in the last couple of games and basta faded out near the end
14. tommy bowe
15. ...toss up between lee byrne geordan murphy or foden undoubtably foden if he had been given a fair chance by johnson though

Latest posts