• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Six nations tv thread

goodNumber10

International
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
London Wasps
Pretty sure it's on the 'reserved' list on BBC Wales. (didnt read the articles, just quickly taking a scan of forums before logging)

It might be different for Wales, but apparently it's Cat B which means as long as their is sufficient delayed coverage on terrestrial TV it can be on Pay TV :(

World Cup is Cat A (I think)

Oh, F this news. So what, the people who are already priced out of club rugby entirely (save crappy highlights that are not worth anyone's time) and half the international schedule are further going to be excluded from rugby?

How the hell is this meant to grow the game? How damaging will this be to the "2015 legacy"? Thousands of people newly engaged with rugby, only to lose interest because of the lack of avenues to pursue it.

well hopefully that will all be considered, but you can't help but feel this will all come down to money and they'll go with the highest bidder (which they kind of sayanyway).

I agree it needs to be cat A.

if this were to happen then there would actually be more live NFL on terrestrial than Rugby.

How the hell is this meant to grow the game? How damaging will this be to the "2015 legacy"? Thousands of people newly engaged with rugby, only to lose interest because of the lack of avenues to pursue it.

Does not seem to have hurt soccer in the UK even though the vast majority of soccer is only available on pay to view!

In any case very few people cannot get access to televised matches on streaming, friends or down the pub.... Even go on benefits as they all seem to have Sky!! Indeed as the following article states you can pay £7 and get a days access and that is cheap when it cost that to go to the pictures for 2 hours!!!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/11...rely-no-one-wants-to-turn-back-the-clock.html

It shows the money that is pumped into sports they cover and the time allocated that the terrestrials cannot match!! Many people cannot get to or cannot afford to go to games with cost of tickets and travel costs so pay tv is in fact the cheap option to that!!

Unfortunatly for you, we have more protected events cat A here (cat B does not exist). And the 6N is protected !!! Damn great it will never go on to ppv tv here (that is illegal in french law) ! Sometimes our politics are not so du**

Unfortunatly for you, we have more protected events cat A here (cat B does not exist). And the 6N is protected !!! Damn great it will never go on to ppv tv here (that is illegal in french law) ! Sometimes our politics are not so du**
I think Ireland is similar. Certain events like 6 Nations, World Cups and Olympics must be broadcast on free to air.

Does not seem to have hurt soccer in the UK even though the vast majority of soccer is only available on pay to view!

In any case very few people cannot get access to televised matches on streaming, friends or down the pub.... Even go on benefits as they all seem to have Sky!! Indeed as the following article states you can pay £7 and get a days access and that is cheap when it cost that to go to the pictures for 2 hours!!!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/11...rely-no-one-wants-to-turn-back-the-clock.html

It shows the money that is pumped into sports they cover and the time allocated that the terrestrials cannot match!! Many people cannot get to or cannot afford to go to games with cost of tickets and travel costs so pay tv is in fact the cheap option to that!!

It's not really comparable.

Soccer had a massive foothold in the country before PPTV. Additionally, FIFA World Cup finals (all matches), UEFA European Football Championship finals (all matches) + FA Cup Final are FTA on TV. They also have two round up programs on BBC TV each week.

the Ryder Cup is an interesting one, they have taken that and turned it into something huge.

The idea that just as many people will watch the games is laughable.

England vs Nz on Sky gets about 700k viewers at it's highest, whereas BBC's 6N game's coverage starts at about 2m and usually peaks around 7m, with a record of over 9.5m.

The BBC figures absolutely dwarf Sky's.

Last edited:
On the plus side if it goes to Sky or BT then at least we should see the back of that Sonia bird that does the pitchside interviews.

And hello to Matt Dawson, pitch-walks, half time interviews and inane, tenuously rugby-related "entertainment" shows.

God no, slightly annoying is an understatement. Although maybe not in comparison to be fair.

In comparison with Healey you mean? Now he is bloody annoying, knows the game, knows whats hes talking about but what a muppet really find it hard to like the bloke.

Can I just put in that Ben Kay really does make me laugh.

In comparison with Healey you mean? Now he is bloody annoying, knows the game, knows whats hes talking about but what a muppet really find it hard to like the bloke.

Can I just put in that Ben Kay really does make me laugh.
Healey has redeeming factors, Dawson on the other hand...

Latest posts