• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Sky get Rugby World Cup rights

G

Gavin

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Pay television company Sky has won the host broadcaster rights for all matches of Rugby World Cup 2011 in New Zealand. Under the deal, Sky will work with Rugby World Cup Ltd to produce comprehensive coverage of all 48 matches, for distribution to RWCL's broadcast partners around the world.

But that does not mean New Zealand fans will be forced to pay to watch all the matches.

Discussions are under way with other broadcasters to license simultaneous free-to-air broadcast in New Zealand of up to 16 matches, including the opening match and knock-out matches.

RWCL managing director Mike Miller said it aimed to provide the New Zealand public with the largest amount of free-to-air international rugby coverage seen since RWC 2007.

Mr Miller said Sky NZ was a proven world leader in rugby broadcasting and its appointment as host broadcaster was wonderful news for rugby fans in New Zealand who would be able to see every RWC 2011 match live.

Sky Television New Zealand chief executive John Fellet said RWC 2007 set new tournament broadcast standards and was screened in over 200 countries, reaching four billion people.

His company was looking forward to playing its part in the delivery of what is the world's third largest sporting event.

"We are honoured to have been appointed and I am confident that we will deliver excellent coverage of all the games, which will be seen by an estimated four billion television viewers worldwide," he said.

"Sky is excited to be involved in what promises to be the biggest sporting event ever to be staged in New Zealand and will deliver live coverage of all 48 Rugby World Cup games to its subscribers."

Every match will be broadcast on Sky sports channels and the rugby channel, and there will also be a "comprehensive number" of replays of every match, along with a number of Rugby World Cup-related productions.

The company will also provide an international broadcast centre in Auckland for other licensed broadcasters to process RWC footage.

Gerry Brownlee, Associate Minister for the Rugby World Cup, said the Government had not been involved in the negotiations.

"These were entirely commercial decisions," he told reporters.

"In a very commercial world, the preservation of at least 16 matches for free to air, quarter-finals and semis and the final being part of that, is a pretty good deal."[/b]

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/news/23...orld-Cup-rights

Not sure if this is good or not. I thought ITV did well with the 2007 Rugby World Cup, also it was free"ish". Anyway I am sure many Kiwi's will be unhappy that they will have to pay to watch matches in their own country as only they will get 16 free to air matches <_< Taking into consideration that all the knock-out stages, final and 3rd place play off will be free to air (hopefully) that only leaves eight pool games that should be free to air ;) Think my calculations were right.

Goddammit. This makes me angry. So i'm assuming in Ire we'll have to watch sky for live matches.

And i thought tv3 getting was bad.

Setanta already has the rights for the next world cup in Ireland, this is only Sky in NZ not the same as over here.

f***ing awful. I thought the RWC was the big opportunity to spread rugby's appeal.

I'm fine with premiership games being on sky. It's irritating having the HC on sky too but I can live with it. Already we must pay to watch our own national team play rugby (outside of the 6N), cricket and away football matches. It is a disgrace. This is the sort of thing this country has institutions like the BBC for - publicly funded for the public's interests, which f***ing well should be sport given the amount people complain about obesity, and instead what do we get? Arse like strictly come dancing, last choir standing, how do you solve a problem like that c*** lloyd webber, endless detective shows and sport? f***ing darts and snooker, and now formula 1. Great. Oh, Match of the Day and the EDF cup make up for it...

The government should come in and regulate TV rights for all major home nations international sporting events and make sure they're shown on terrestrial television. Let's have a ban on companies which aren't BBC, ITV, C4 or 5 broadcasting England matches. And f*** money, if it means cutting some other horseshit out of the schedules then so be it.

yeah i doubt the advertisers would let RWCL not broadcast free to air, well at least the main pool games and the knockout rounds

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Apr 9 2009, 03:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
f***ing awful. I thought the RWC was the big opportunity to spread rugby's appeal.

I'm fine with premiership games being on sky. It's irritating having the HC on sky too but I can live with it. Already we must pay to watch our own national team play rugby (outside of the 6N), cricket and away football matches. It is a disgrace. This is the sort of thing this country has institutions like the BBC for - publicly funded for the public's interests, which f***ing well should be sport given the amount people complain about obesity, and instead what do we get? Arse like strictly come dancing, last choir standing, how do you solve a problem like that c*** lloyd webber, endless detective shows and sport? f***ing darts and snooker, and now formula 1. Great. Oh, Match of the Day and the EDF cup make up for it...

The government should come in and regulate TV rights for all major home nations international sporting events and make sure they're shown on terrestrial television. Let's have a ban on companies which aren't BBC, ITV, C4 or 5 broadcasting England matches. And f*** money, if it means cutting some other horseshit out of the schedules then so be it.[/b]

you'd swear this is a done deal for the UK the way you're reacting, nothing concrete yet on UK rights.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Apr 10 2009, 03:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Apr 9 2009, 03:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The government should come in and regulate TV rights for all major home nations international sporting events and make sure they're shown on terrestrial television. Let's have a ban on companies which aren't BBC, ITV, C4 or 5 broadcasting England matches. And f*** money, if it means cutting some other horseshit out of the schedules then so be it.[/b]

you'd swear this is a done deal for the UK the way you're reacting, nothing concrete yet on UK rights.
[/b][/quote]

Still can you see Sky not getting the rights considering Sky in New Zealand got the rights?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gavin @ Apr 9 2009, 03:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Apr 10 2009, 03:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Apr 9 2009, 03:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

Still can you see Sky not getting the rights considering Sky in New Zealand got the rights?
[/b][/quote]

well no considering Setanta has the Ireland rights and the Ireland matches have to be shown free to air.

While this is only in New Zealand, folks it is terrible to see any major set piece tournament taken off free-to-air television anywhere.

At this rate is any competition sancrosanct in this day and age? Will Sky UK and Fox in America be exclusive broadcasters of the Olympics by 2020? Will only North Korea be piping sport through free-to-air TV?

Awful.

Money talks. Sky NZ will do a good job, and there's benefits but you have to pay for it. Considering rugby is NZ's national sport (or so i assume?) it's not good, some people won't get to see it. I think the UK will keep it on ITV perhaps. RWC07 was mainly on terrestrial, but also on ITV's freeview expansion channels. But freeview is not the whole deal you have to do to get satellite.

I hope it stays with ITV.. and doesn't go to Sky.. because if it does, it'll be a disaster for ratings for rugby.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Prestwick @ Apr 9 2009, 05:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
While this is only in New Zealand, folks it is terrible to see any major set piece tournament taken off free-to-air television anywhere.

At this rate is any competition sancrosanct in this day and age? Will Sky UK and Fox in America be exclusive broadcasters of the Olympics by 2020? Will only North Korea be piping sport through free-to-air TV?

Awful.[/b]

re the Olympics no as that's an A list event in the UK and Ireland, so no chance of Sky getting it, well there is but they'd have to sell the rights back to a terrestrial channel. You'd probably get the same happening with the rugby should Sky Sports get the rights.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Apr 9 2009, 06:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Setanta already has the rights for the next world cup in Ireland, this is only Sky in NZ not the same as over here.[/b]

Sky sports is included in menu of TV companies who say "Pay and Watch" :lol: with no additional payment needed,

when counted the payment benefit is better if I get those stupid companies at home (despite I don't watch TV unless some special sports event is broadcasted) than to but the Sky Sports package

Don't you have something like this offers in your countries guys???

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Apr 9 2009, 10:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Prestwick @ Apr 9 2009, 05:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Awful.[/b]

re the Olympics no as that's an A list event in the UK and Ireland, so no chance of Sky getting it, well there is but they'd have to sell the rights back to a terrestrial channel. You'd probably get the same happening with the rugby should Sky Sports get the rights.
[/b][/quote]

No no no, I meant in the far future, like decades away. Never underestimate the administrators' obsession with the dollar. You've had the Six Nations chairman more or less saying that the Six Nations should be thrown open to the likes of Sky and Setanta rather than just being the preserve of the BBC. Its all slowly being eroded..

I presume Sky Sports can purchase the rights to show games, but the BBC or ITV have to show most of the games

Its better for New Zealand, means that it will be cheaper to go and watch it in person rather than T.V. I cant believe that Rugby will be the first manager sport to sell out?? even the football World Cup is free on T.V.set rugby free

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cymro @ Apr 9 2009, 11:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I presume Sky Sports can purchase the rights to show games, but the BBC or ITV have to show most of the games[/b]

Sky can buy the UK rights but they'd have to sell on the final to a terrestrial channel.

Latest posts