Sky get Rugby World Cup rights

Discussion in 'General Rugby Union' started by Gavin, Apr 9, 2009.

1. Gavin

Gavin Guest

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
    http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/news/23...orld-Cup-rights

Not sure if this is good or not. I thought ITV did well with the 2007 Rugby World Cup, also it was free"ish". Anyway I am sure many Kiwi's will be unhappy that they will have to pay to watch matches in their own country as only they will get 16 free to air matches <_< Taking into consideration that all the knock-out stages, final and 3rd place play off will be free to air (hopefully) that only leaves eight pool games that should be free to air ;) Think my calculations were right.

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. durbutter

durbutter Guest

Goddammit. This makes me angry. So i'm assuming in Ire we'll have to watch sky for live matches.

And i thought tv3 getting was bad.

4. An Tarbh

An Tarbh Guest

Setanta already has the rights for the next world cup in Ireland, this is only Sky in NZ not the same as over here.

5. gingergenius

gingergenius Guest

f***ing awful. I thought the RWC was the big opportunity to spread rugby's appeal.

I'm fine with premiership games being on sky. It's irritating having the HC on sky too but I can live with it. Already we must pay to watch our own national team play rugby (outside of the 6N), cricket and away football matches. It is a disgrace. This is the sort of thing this country has institutions like the BBC for - publicly funded for the public's interests, which f***ing well should be sport given the amount people complain about obesity, and instead what do we get? Arse like strictly come dancing, last choir standing, how do you solve a problem like that c*** lloyd webber, endless detective shows and sport? f***ing darts and snooker, and now formula 1. Great. Oh, Match of the Day and the EDF cup make up for it...

The government should come in and regulate TV rights for all major home nations international sporting events and make sure they're shown on terrestrial television. Let's have a ban on companies which aren't BBC, ITV, C4 or 5 broadcasting England matches. And f*** money, if it means cutting some other horseshit out of the schedules then so be it.

6. feicarsinn

feicarsinn Guest

yeah i doubt the advertisers would let RWCL not broadcast free to air, well at least the main pool games and the knockout rounds

7. An Tarbh

An Tarbh Guest

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Apr 9 2009, 03:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    you'd swear this is a done deal for the UK the way you're reacting, nothing concrete yet on UK rights.

8. Gavin

Gavin Guest

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Apr 10 2009, 03:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    you'd swear this is a done deal for the UK the way you're reacting, nothing concrete yet on UK rights.
    [/b][/quote]

Still can you see Sky not getting the rights considering Sky in New Zealand got the rights?

9. An Tarbh

An Tarbh Guest

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gavin @ Apr 9 2009, 03:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    [/b][/quote]

Still can you see Sky not getting the rights considering Sky in New Zealand got the rights?
    [/b][/quote]

well no considering Setanta has the Ireland rights and the Ireland matches have to be shown free to air.

10. Meh

Meh Guest

Terrible news. I can just imagine "Rugby Club" following it now /facepalm.

11. Prestwick

Prestwick Guest

While this is only in New Zealand, folks it is terrible to see any major set piece tournament taken off free-to-air television anywhere.

At this rate is any competition sancrosanct in this day and age? Will Sky UK and Fox in America be exclusive broadcasters of the Olympics by 2020? Will only North Korea be piping sport through free-to-air TV?

Awful.

12. dundeesmiffy

dundeesmiffy Guest

I am not pleased.

13. Fa'atau82

Fa'atau82 Guest

Money talks. Sky NZ will do a good job, and there's benefits but you have to pay for it. Considering rugby is NZ's national sport (or so i assume?) it's not good, some people won't get to see it. I think the UK will keep it on ITV perhaps. RWC07 was mainly on terrestrial, but also on ITV's freeview expansion channels. But freeview is not the whole deal you have to do to get satellite.

I hope it stays with ITV.. and doesn't go to Sky.. because if it does, it'll be a disaster for ratings for rugby.

14. An Tarbh

An Tarbh Guest

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Prestwick @ Apr 9 2009, 05:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    re the Olympics no as that's an A list event in the UK and Ireland, so no chance of Sky getting it, well there is but they'd have to sell the rights back to a terrestrial channel. You'd probably get the same happening with the rugby should Sky Sports get the rights.

15. An Tarbh

An Tarbh Guest

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dundeesmiffy @ Apr 9 2009, 07:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    why though, how does affect you unless you're living in NZ?

16. alexrugby

alexrugby Guest

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Apr 9 2009, 06:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    Sky sports is included in menu of TV companies who say "Pay and Watch" :lol: with no additional payment needed,

when counted the payment benefit is better if I get those stupid companies at home (despite I don't watch TV unless some special sports event is broadcasted) than to but the Sky Sports package

Don't you have something like this offers in your countries guys???

17. Prestwick

Prestwick Guest

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Apr 9 2009, 10:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    re the Olympics no as that's an A list event in the UK and Ireland, so no chance of Sky getting it, well there is but they'd have to sell the rights back to a terrestrial channel. You'd probably get the same happening with the rugby should Sky Sports get the rights.
    [/b][/quote]

No no no, I meant in the far future, like decades away. Never underestimate the administrators' obsession with the dollar. You've had the Six Nations chairman more or less saying that the Six Nations should be thrown open to the likes of Sky and Setanta rather than just being the preserve of the BBC. Its all slowly being eroded..

18. Cymro

Cymro Guest

I presume Sky Sports can purchase the rights to show games, but the BBC or ITV have to show most of the games

19. cyRil

cyRil Guest

I'm more gutted HBK lost.

20. Its better for New Zealand, means that it will be cheaper to go and watch it in person rather than T.V. I cant believe that Rugby will be the first manager sport to sell out?? even the football World Cup is free on T.V.set rugby free

21. An Tarbh

An Tarbh Guest

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cymro @ Apr 9 2009, 11:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    Sky can buy the UK rights but they'd have to sell on the final to a terrestrial channel.

Enjoyed this thread? Register to post your reply - click here!