• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Slade heading to Pau

TRF Mr Fish

Your Piscine Overlord
TRF Legend
Country Flag
New Zealand
http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/...lay-for-french-club-pau-after-rugby-world-cup

Colin Slade will join French club Pau after the Rugby World Cup in England later this year. The 27-year-old All Blacks and Crusaders utility back confirmed on Monday night that he would be contracted to Pau through to mid-2018 on a deal believed to be worth more than $800,000 a season.

Opting to leave New Zealand, Slade said, was one of the toughest decisions he had ever made in his rugby career. Now the choice has been made he remains adamant he will do everything he can to help the Crusaders win a Super Rugby ***le and push his way into the All Blacks' World Cup squad.

"It certainly wasn't easy - I have lost a lot of sleep over it," Slade, who didn't want to talk about how much the deal was worth, admitted.

"But it not just a rugby decision, a lifestyle decision or a financial decision. It is a combination of all three and with the stage of where I am in my life and my career, my wife and I have always wanted to do a bit of travel as well.

"I have always been pretty clear I wanted to go overseas at some point. It is exciting."

Slade, who was also being chased by French club Toulon, had to weigh-up an option to stay in New Zealand Rugby against the opportunity to play for an ambitious club that is going places under former All Blacks first five-eighth Simon Mannix. Pau will play in the Top 14 competition in 2016 and have also recruited All Blacks centre Conrad Smith.

All Blacks coach Steve Hansen made it clear he wanted Slade to stay and contest the No 10 jersey with Aaron Cruden and Beauden Barrett. He suggested Slade would have a chance to push for first-five, particularly if Barrett elected to concentrate on making the New Zealand Sevens team for next year's Rio Olympics.

Slade appreciated the support he had received from Crusaders coach Todd Blackadder and Hansen.

"From [purely a rugby point of view] an outsider would probably think it's a silly decision to leave now, but I have weighed-up every factor," Slade said.

"You just never know when these deals are going to come up - this is a good club in a good part of the world. It was just something I couldn't pass up."

Hansen said just because a player declares he will leave New Zealand, doesn't mean he will get a "slap on the hand" and be overlooked by the All Blacks selectors. If a player's form warrants it, he will be picked. Yet Slade said he knew he had to take the World Cup into consideration before declaring his future plans.

"That was one of the harder things. You want to do everything in your powers to make that. At the end of the day I've just got to focus on playing well and hopefully I still have a shot," he said.

"I am going to be giving it absolutely everything, because it's probably my last chance to win the Super Rugby ***le and make that [the All Blacks] team."

Slade said he was grateful to NZ Rugby for putting together a competitive offer: "They did everything they could to keep me here, I certainly wasn't discouraged by the package they put together."

He told his Crusaders team-mates of his decision on Monday.

Mannix will be very pleased to get this deal across the line. Slade, who has shown mental fortitude in repeatedly bouncing back from serious injuries in the past and came back from two broken jaws to make the 2011 World Cup squad, can play first-five and fullback and is a very reliable goal kicker.

"I have spoken to him [Mannix] a number of times and have been really impressed by what he presented and what he has done with the club," Slade said.

Well then, I'm a bit surprised at this. The offer was well telegraphed, obviously, but I thought NZ would have done enough to keep him.

Who will back up Cruden and Barrett next year? If Barrett is enlisted for the Sevens then it gets even more interesting.

Sopoaga? McKenzie?

Welcome Colin!
Slade will play with Conrad Smith, with former Blues scrum-half Taniela Moa and also with lock Daniel Ramsay who played with Otago, Wellington and Southland.
He won't be homesick!

I think its crazy how The Crusaders are basically going from ~4 top class first fives to 0 in ~2 years.

Dan Carter
Colin Slade
Tom Taylor
Tyler Bleyendaal

2016 ???
move izzy to 10? He can kick goals, and he tackles like a 10 :p

We'll stick you there Larksea. ;)

Probably time to look to our catchment areas, or recruit from outside the area. Unless the ITM Cup can produce someone spectacular.

Last edited:
I think its crazy how The Crusaders are basically going from ~4 top class first fives to 0 in ~2 years.

Dan Carter
Colin Slade
Tom Taylor
Tyler Bleyendaal

2016 ???
move izzy to 10? He can kick goals, and he tackles like a 10 :p

You'd have to think that Richie Mo'unga will be the front runner. There are plenty of quality first fives popping up all over the show.

My take is:

after having an awesome season and not being able to secure a starting spot it makes it clear that he most prob will always be behind Cruden and Barrett, and if he is unable to secure a starting spot then at 27 it is time to go and earn a couple of million overseas.

He has given a lot to NZ rugby and no one can accuse him of not trying and giving it his all.

With Carter going it poses a dilemma for the selectors for a backup 10, esp if Barrett goes to 7's.

Next year going to be interesting.

The Crusaders are done for imo. You only get so lucky they've had a good run going from Merhtens to Carter to Slade I dont think they will get that lucky a fourth time.

They are going to have to scout their asses off to find someone decent.

- - - Updated - - -

My take is:

after having an awesome season and not being able to secure a starting spot it makes it clear that he most prob will always be behind Cruden and Barrett, and if he is unable to secure a starting spot then at 27 it is time to go and earn a couple of million overseas.

He has given a lot to NZ rugby and no one can accuse him of not trying and giving it his all.

With Carter going it poses a dilemma for the selectors for a backup 10, esp if Barrett goes to 7's.

Next year going to be interesting.

Damian Mckenzie..... AND I reckon Mckenzie should do the 7's and not Barrett.

You'd have to think that Richie Mo'unga will be the front runner. There are plenty of quality first fives popping up all over the show.

Yep, I just hope they keeps their hands off Otere Black. With that said they do have this habit of turning 1st 5/8ths into world class players.

Realistically, there are plenty of young 10s the Crusaders could begin to invest in. Even someone like Hickie who is behind the pecking order at the Crusaders could be a steal. Don't think there are many 10s who wouldn't want to start for the Crusaders.

Yep, I just hope they keeps their hands off Otere Black. With that said they do have this habit of turning 1st 5/8ths into world class players.

Realistically, there are plenty of young 10s the Crusaders could begin to invest in. Even someone like Hickie who is behind the pecking order at the Crusaders could be a steal. Don't think there are many 10s who wouldn't want to start for the Crusaders.

I wouldn't be surprised to see them table a big offer for McKenzie, to be honest. I think he's signed on to the Chiefs for a few years though.

I think Banks is only contracted for one season with the Highlanders? Maybe @smartcooky will get his wish and see more Tasman players turning out for the Crusaders.

Last edited by a moderator:
quote on Colin Slades transfer to Pau............."But it not just a rugby decision, a lifestyle decision or a financial decision. It is a combination of all three and with the stage of where I am in my life and my career, my wife and I have always wanted to do a bit of travel as well.

Good to see some honesty in his decisions!!!! as i have always said there are numerous reasons why players from the Southerbn Hemp. come to France and as Slade says its a combination of decisions. Maybe this one eyed observation about "only money" the sole reason for playing in France will start to cease but that's not gospel!!!!!!!

quote on Colin Slades transfer to Pau............."But it not just a rugby decision, a lifestyle decision or a financial decision. It is a combination of all three and with the stage of where I am in my life and my career, my wife and I have always wanted to do a bit of travel as well.

Good to see some honesty in his decisions!!!! as i have always said there are numerous reasons why players from the Southerbn Hemp. come to France and as Slade says its a combination of decisions. Maybe this one eyed observation about "only money" the sole reason for playing in France will start to cease but that's not gospel!!!!!!!

hmmm....

Now that one guy says that, now we have to sit up and take notice??? For all we know, Pau asked him to say that (paid him extra to say that)...

I think money would have been the main thing (of course!). But a lifestyle in the south of France, a Kiwi speaking coach, playing alongside Conrad, a young couple. New Zealand is a great place, but sometimes it's good to cast your net a bit further and spend some time in some pretty exotic places.

now how did i not realise that Heineken would revell in such good news, (also not the first to say this) so what you are saying is SH players cant speak their mind they are paid to to say what the club needs everyone to hear, of course you are joking i realise that, because if you are serious you would become the laughing stock of this forum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

now how did i not realise that Heineken would revell in such good news, (also not the first to say this) so what you are saying is SH players cant speak their mind they are paid to to say what the club needs everyone to hear, of course you are joking i realise that, because if you are serious you would become the laughing stock of this forum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Man you're dumb. What employee would ever say the reason I want to play for a club is "all about the money"?. That makes them look callous and mercenary to fans and their new employers. There may be contributing factors, but the primary reason he is in France over anywhere in the world - is that he can earn more money.

You think Charles Piutau has always had a burning desire to live in Belfast and playing in the Pro 12? Or do you think it coincided with being the highest paid player?

You think the French players in the Qatar national handball team have always wanted to play for Qatar?

But keep your delusional argument going, you can remain the laughing stock of this forum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Man you're dumb. What employee would ever say the reason I want to play for a club is "all about the money"?. That makes them look callous and mercenary to fans and their new employers. There may be contributing factors, but the primary reason he is in France over anywhere in the world - is that he can earn more money. But keep your delusional argument going, you can remain the laughing stock of this forum.

Exactly!!

If Timbuktu were to pay me the most out of any other club in the world, then I will go there. Slade saying he and his wife wants to travel, Great!! With being paid more money, they will be able to travel more, maybe even fly first class and not in a Malaysia Airlines or Germanwings plane...

I just don't get this "woe is me/gloom and doom" attitude I've been hearing from [strike]the flat earth society[/strike] talk back radio today. So Colin Slade is leaving for France, So what, and good on him for securing his future and that of his family. Its not as if we haven't faced an exodus of players ofter a world cup before; we lost players to Europe or retirement after 2007 (Anton Oliver, Keith Robinson, Carl Hayman, Jerry Collins, Nick Evans, Luke McAllister, Byron Kelleher, Rodney So'oialo, Chris Masoe, Chris Jack, Neemia Tialata, Leon MacDonald and Joe Rokocoko), and 2011 (Brad Thorn, Piri Weepu, Richard Kahui, Ali Williams, Adam Thomson and Steven Donald). Did it make any difference? Of course not. In fact, only two players who played in the 2007 QF survived to make the 2011 Final, McCaw & Woodcock (although Carter was prevented by injury), yet, we won the bloody thing with the fourth choice 1st 5/8 for most of the match.

New Zealand rugby is like a big tank of water. Remove a bucketful of water and throw it away, then pour a new bucket in. In a very short space of time, there is no noticeable difference; its like the bucket of water was never removed in the first place.

There is plenty of talent left to fill in the gaps at 10.... Richie Mo'unga, Otere Black, Ihaia West, Marty Banks, Damian McKenzie to name just a few..

I just don't get this "woe is me/gloom and doom" attitude I've been hearing from [strike]the flat earth society[/strike] talk back radio today. So Colin Slade is leaving for France, So what, and good on him for securing his future and that of his family. Its not as if we haven't faced an exodus of players ofter a world cup before; we lost players to Europe or retirement after 2007 (Anton Oliver, Keith Robinson, Carl Hayman, Jerry Collins, Nick Evans, Luke McAllister, Byron Kelleher, Rodney So'oialo, Chris Masoe, Chris Jack, Neemia Tialata, Leon MacDonald and Joe Rokocoko), and 2011 (Brad Thorn, Piri Weepu, Richard Kahui, Ali Williams, Adam Thomson and Steven Donald). Did it make any difference? Of course not. In fact, only two players who played in the 2007 QF survived to make the 2011 Final, McCaw & Woodcock (although Carter was prevented by injury), yet, we won the bloody thing with the fourth choice 1st 5/8 for most of the match.

New Zealand rugby is like a big tank of water. Remove a bucketful of water and throw it away, then pour a new bucket in. In a very short space of time, there is no noticeable difference; its like the bucket of water was never removed in the first place.

There is plenty of talent left to fill in the gaps at 10.... Richie Mo'unga, Otere Black, Ihaia West, Marty Banks, Damian McKenzie to name just a few..

If I felt like Nick Picking I'd point out that So'oialo, Tialata, Masoe and Kahui didn't sign directly after the RWC...

I'm not all doom and gloom, in fact I agree that after the exodus we will continue to be the best side in the world. But what is worrying is that it's the volume of players leaving, is now truly effecting the second choice players. You point to us losing Evans and McAlister - well in 2008-2009 we seriously suffered losing those players and had to rely on Donald and Delany (and McAlister when he immediately resigned). Neither of our replacement 10s were up to standard and the result was a loss to France and South Africa three times in 2009. The player factory we have only works when we have those quality NPC and Super Rugby players to back them up. Yes there are some exciting 10s, but we can't say for certain who is going to be All Black worthy next year. What we do know for sure is that we have Anscombe, Taylor, Slade, Carter lost to NZ, and only 2 fly halves who have any All Blacks experience.

Even this we can deal with - however it is that the trend of players leaving younger and younger will certainly not help, particularly as some of the best All Blacks only really start to make a serious case for contention in their mid to late 20s.

Exactly!!

If Timbuktu were to pay me the most out of any other club in the world, then I will go there. Slade saying he and his wife wants to travel, Great!! With being paid more money, they will be able to travel more, maybe even fly first class and not in a Malaysia Airlines or Germanwings plane...

so what you are saying is you would go and live in a Shi* hole for a minimum of at least 2 years for JUST MONEY you obviously need to get a life, you could offer me loads of money and I would refuse to leave where i live............. The South of France

so what you are saying is you would go and live in a Shi* hole for a minimum of at least 2 years for JUST MONEY you obviously need to get a life, you could offer me loads of money and I would refuse to leave where i live............. The South of France

Yes, yes I would. Hell, for the right price I'd go and live in Ukraine wearing a USSR shirt...

Man you're dumb. What employee would ever say the reason I want to play for a club is "all about the money"?. That makes them look callous and mercenary to fans and their new employers. There may be contributing factors, but the primary reason he is in France over anywhere in the world - is that he can earn more money.

You think Charles Piutau has always had a burning desire to live in Belfast and playing in the Pro 12? Or do you think it coincided with being the highest paid player?

You think the French players in the Qatar national handball team have always wanted to play for Qatar?

But keep your delusional argument going, you can remain the laughing stock of this forum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MAN YOUR DUMB WOW very intelligent that must have taken some thinking out......... go to the top of the class!!!!!!!!!!!!
no one ever said that money was not important, its a contributing factor along with many other factors, this is not delusional, your players have stated it not me get over your silly little trivialities!!!!!!!!! so according to yourself (the high and mighty) all Southern Hempishere players are callous and mercenery as they all come to Franceor other parts of Europe as far as your concerned is money money money, hope you never have to meet any of them they may have a few words to say to you, or will you be hiding behind the screen as usual!!!!!!!!!!!!!

To be honest Piatau i could not give a monkies about we are talking France not Ireland and PRO 12 which is not the greatest league in the world only the Irish teams have ever been successful in Europe. Handball i'm not inrested in and maybe we could have a look at the next tiddlewinks world cup there could be tranfers on the horizon there as well, but obviously only for mooooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnney !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, yes I would. Hell, for the right price I'd go and live in Ukraine wearing a USSR shirt...

are you poor or something !!!!!!!!!!!could be a great idea please find somewhere with no internet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Latest posts