• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Slade heading to Pau

MAN YOUR DUMB WOW very intelligent that must have taken some thinking out......... go to the top of the class!!!!!!!!!!!!
no one ever said that money was not important, its a contributing factor along with many other factors, this is not delusional, your players have stated it not me get over your silly little trivialities!!!!!!!!! so according to yourself (the high and mighty) all Southern Hempishere players are callous and mercenery as they all come to Franceor other parts of Europe as far as your concerned is money money money, hope you never have to meet any of them they may have a few words to say to you, or will you be hiding behind the screen as usual!!!!!!!!!!!!!

To be honest Piatau i could not give a monkies about we are talking France not Ireland and PRO 12 which is not the greatest league in the world only the Irish teams have ever been successful in Europe. Handball i'm not inrested in and maybe we could have a look at the next tiddlewinks world cup there could be tranfers on the horizon there as well, but obviously only for mooooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnney !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

are you poor or something !!!!!!!!!!!could be a great idea please find somewhere with no internet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What does the South of France have, that South Africa doesn't have? We have beaches, mountains, winelands, deserts, forests, rivers, dams, lakes, game reserves, etc... The only difference between France and South Africa is the Currency, and the language... And no South African will come with the reason, "I moved to France because I wanted to learn a new language"...

Guys, could we all agree that there is always a myriad of dimensions to the type of decision that sees someone move off to anywhere for an extended period of time and- most importantly- every case will have it's own merits and weightings and we as outsiders looking in couldn't possibly have the faintest clue how much of a priority each would be for every single person moving anywhere and so all this arguing is pretty pointless particularly since we are't going to sway anyone convinced otherwise to our own view on the subject?

I'm not saying don't discuss it but !!!please!!! try and keep it civil and maybe try to avoid speaking in absolutes either way.

Guys, could we all agree that there is always a myriad of dimensions to the type of decision that sees someone move off to anywhere for an extended period of time and- most importantly- every case will have it's own merits and weightings and we as outsiders looking in couldn't possibly have the faintest clue how much of a priority each would be for every single person moving anywhere and so all this arguing is pretty pointless particularly since we are't going to sway anyone convinced otherwise to our own view on the subject?

I'm not saying don't discuss it but !!!please!!! try and keep it civil and maybe try to avoid speaking in absolutes either way.

... Unless it's a Saffa, then it's definitely the money... Or the Quota system...

MAN YOUR DUMB WOW very intelligent that must have taken some thinking out......... go to the top of the class!!!!!!!!!!!!
no one ever said that money was not important, its a contributing factor along with many other factors, this is not delusional, your players have stated it not me get over your silly little trivialities!!!!!!!!! so according to yourself (the high and mighty) all Southern Hempishere players are callous and mercenery as they all come to Franceor other parts of Europe as far as your concerned is money money money, hope you never have to meet any of them they may have a few words to say to you, or will you be hiding behind the screen as usual!!!!!!!!!!!!!

To be honest Piatau i could not give a monkies about we are talking France not Ireland and PRO 12 which is not the greatest league in the world only the Irish teams have ever been successful in Europe. Handball i'm not inrested in and maybe we could have a look at the next tiddlewinks world cup there could be tranfers on the horizon there as well, but obviously only for mooooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnney !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

are you poor or something !!!!!!!!!!!could be a great idea please find somewhere with no internet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dumb was a nice way of saying what I really think of you.

The difference between Piutau going to Belfast and any player going to France, is only different in your conceited thick head.

I'd have no problem suggesting that the largest contributing factor for them going overseas was money to their faces, I'm sure outside of the media most would agree. I have talked to professional rugby players who have said the biggest factor was making money to set their families up while they could play professionally - many of whom have come back and taken up coaching roles in club rugby (where I have had the chance to be coached by many of them in the Wellington club scene). I'm sure instances which don't support your case are of no interest to you, as it's how the ignorant stay ignorant.

The irony of accusing someone of hiding behind a screen I'm sure will be lost on you.

Like heineken I'm sure I would go a lot of places if it meant I was financially secure for the rest of my life.

... Unless it's a Saffa, then it's definitely the money... Or the Quota system...

Well, more money is more money and my own view is that it'd probably be a huge factor if not the biggest in most cases but like you said, the quota system (both official and unofficial), crime, politics and weak Rand are pushing factors for white South Africans while I can certainly see myself pulled by the lure of travel if the circumstances are right- and there are worse places than the south of France. I could even see myself moving off for a bit with my income at par if it meant broadening my horizons though I'd always come back to SA as long as my friends and family are here. Without them.. I could see myself moving off permanently despite how beautiful SA is everything considered. Particularly looking at the education system as is and the fact that I have my young'uns' futures to keep in mind... unequal opportunites, a weak currency, a poor public education system and violent crime... I could very easily see myself push off despite the ties and love I have for SA. Why not rugby players? Unmarried and without kids- why not have a romp abroad while you're not attached. Married with children- might moving be a better choice for your family? It's a tough one and I can't fault anyone's decisions either way if the opportunity resented tself.

Last edited:
It would be interesting to see the value of the "other bids" that Colin spoke of in his interview. I wouldn't be surprised if he went with the highest bidder, I'm certainly not naive about such things. But it also must be an encouraging feeling to have a couple of Kiwis in your team around you. Money is money, but when the areas of communication and friendship are made a little easier, that has to count for something. You wouldn't feel so isolated that way.

Add to that the architecture, the impressive fashion, the artistic scene, the rich culture and history that is a little exotic compared to NZ's connection to 'just' the UK, the beautiful beaches in Southern France that the All Blacks holidayed on in 2007, then it's a pretty good package? Sure it doesn't buy you stuff, but it's a life time experience for a young family! And who knows what additional goodies were provided outside of just the money. Maybe a fancy accommodation arrangement, transport, vacations, something they could extend to his partner, etc.

The age argument is perfectly valid imo. It is concerning how they are getting younger. I also feel as though in 2011 we didn't have such an exodus of experience as we did in 2007? I haven't done the facts and figures on that, so somebody might prove me wrong. I know Weepu and Ali Williams had a lot of caps between them. But Regardless of what their form is like, McCaw, Mealamu, Conrad Smith, Carter are huge losses to have just in terms of the leadership, ideas and that veteran factor. It places further pressure on guys like Read. I imagine a new 'leadership group' will have to be established. Not that those kind of names can be helped .. they're getting old. But when you have Piutau and Slade heading off it compounds things; they've been collecting caps and could have fitted in to such a group in time. Especially Slade.

Last edited:
Agree with the above post, and reiterate what I have said before. There are many reasons to travel. I myself am leaving the first job I truly enjoy, to travel Europe with no offers of income because I want the experience.

But if my dream job was to be an All Black, it would take more than just a new experience to make me leave it. If I had a young family my priority would be securing their future, and it would take a very good offer to uproot my famoly. For that reason I would look for the best deal in terms of setting me up, and generally that has been cash injected French clubs. The fact they have nice wine, cheese and beaches comes after the fact. Hypothetically if Germany or Spain had a domestic league with the same profile and resources to spend on foreign players, I would expect a similar number of kiwis going there to play. As it is France is generally the highest bidder. When other leagues, be it Japan, Aviva Prem, Rabo Pro 12, have put forward financially better offers than what is going in France - we see players having no hesitation playing there.

Last edited:
i give up with you guys!!!!!!!!!!! i agree money is an important factor, said it a thousand times but there are so many others things that come into the equation what you're saying is, if Iceland, Russia Afganistan etc etc were paying the most money and they had a good leaugue you would go, or the players would go. Cant wait for it to happen just to prove me wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So there would be an awful lot of single or divorced rugby players on their own as their wives would certainly put their foot down on that. in comparison how many SH players are in the Premiership or Rabo not that many for obvious reasons besides money. You only have to look at the supporters who follow the European games to France they come in their thousand, they love the place, whether it be Paris or the South. France is the most visited country in the world and tha's not me saying that, but then as i defend France on my own AND ONLY LIVE THERE WHAT WOULD I KNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Agree with the above post, and reiterate what I have said before. There are many reasons to travel. I myself am leaving the first job I truly enjoy, to travel Europe with no offers of income because I want the experience.

Apologies for the tangent, but lets get Nick wasted and take photos of him with a midget hooker.

what does the south of france have, that south africa doesn't have? We have beaches, mountains, winelands, deserts, forests, rivers, dams, lakes, game reserves, better looking women etc... The only difference between france and south africa is the currency, and the language... And no south african will come with the reason, "i moved to france because i wanted to learn a new language"...

ftfy

I'd have no problem suggesting that the largest contributing factor for them going overseas was money to their faces, I'm sure outside of the media most would agree. I have talked to professional rugby players who have said the biggest factor was making money to set their families up while they could play professionally - many of whom have come back and taken up coaching roles in club rugby (where I have had the chance to be coached by many of them in the Wellington club scene). I'm sure instances which don't support your case are of no interest to you, as it's how the ignorant stay ignorant.

Like heineken I'm sure I would go a lot of places if it meant I was financially secure for the rest of my life.

This!!!

With the possible exception of Golf and Bowls, a professional sportsman in any code (particularly ones that require speed, fitness, co-ordination and athleticism) only has a limited amount of time in their lives to earn a living by playing that code. Slade made his debut in first class rugby at the age of 20; he will be 28 by the time he takes up his contract with Pau, and will turn 29 within the first few rounds - half his professional rugby career will be over by then. Why would a guy like Slade not want take the opportunity to set up he and his family's future.

Gaston does tend to inflame arguments with his language at time but having spent a number of years in France and being exposed, to a far lesser degree than Gaston, to SH players and UK players arriving to play in France......he is so right in saying money is an important part but not the be all and end all!!

I have spend years trying to persuade my reasonably successful children to come and live in France whilst their children are young. The reasons are not money but family time, respect that is prevalent in France but absent in UK, life style and peace of mind!!

None of them have done it but can see why they should and will, I believe, regret it in years to come!

Incidentally, for all its allure, I have no interest whatsoever in traveling to SA for all the reasons espoused on this thread but love New Zealand, Australia, Europe and the Far East but do not believe I am missing on not going to SA as, in any case, can see the wild life on Telly!!!!!!!!

I love South Africa.

Go to Cape Town when I can beautiful city.

Helps I dated a Blonde Afrikaans girl for a bit, so will look through it in rose tinted glasses I guess.

Although Japan and South East Asia are prob my most favourite travel spots.

apologies for the tangent, but lets get nick wasted and take photos of him with a midget hooker.

My girlfriend said if that happened one more time she'd leave me.

#yolo

Latest posts