• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Slater to union?

Q

QLD

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Slater now on rugby radar

By Brent Read
November 19, 2008

JUST a day after being crowned the world's best player, Australia full-back Billy Slater has become a target for rugby union clubs across the country.

Queensland high-performance manager Ben Whitaker confirmed the Reds were keen to speak to Slater if the Storm custodian had a genuine interest in switching codes.

Slater has a Mark Gasnier-type clause in his contract which allows him to leave Melbourne at the end of next season should he receive a lucrative offer from English Super League or rugby.

Given his form for club and country over the past year, union officials have had their ears pricked by the existence of the clause.

"I wouldn't be doing my job if I didn't," Whitaker said when asked if he would investigate Slater's interest in a switch of codes. "I think he's one of those players that any code would definitely explore or have a look at having on board."

News of union's interest is the last thing Melbourne need given their salary cap position. The club are fighting to retain captain Cameron Smith following a lucrative offer from the Gold Coast.

The Storm have put talks with all players on hold until Smith's future is finalised.

The club have already indicated a desire to renegotiate Slater's deal, which he signed in 2007 when he was on the periphery of representative football.

Since then, he has produced one of the greatest seasons by a full-back in premiership history.

On Monday night, Slater was named international rugby league player of the year, beating a high-class field which also included Storm teammates Smith and Greg Inglis.

As a result of his performances for Melbourne, Queensland and Australia this year, Slater would rightly expect to become one of the highest earners in the game.

"He would be fantastic," Whitaker said.

"But they have to have a genuine desire to play the game. You do know playing our game can result in great financial rewards.

"We would definitely want to gauge pretty early whether he has an interest in playing the game. If it's just about upping his salary, we don't need that."

Rugby union's interest in Slater could yet affect Kangaroos team-mate Karmichael Hunt. Less than four months ago it was revealed the ARU and the provincial Super 14 side had expressed an interest in the Brisbane full-back.

Hunt, who has a background in rugby and is off contract at the end of next year, recently indicated he would prefer to remain in rugby league.

While he has never publicly expressed an interest in rugby, and has spoken of his contentment in Melbourne, Slater's head could be turned should the ARU put in a significant sweetener.

"He's a great player and I love watching him," dual international Michael O'Connor said. "To say he's automatically going to be a great rugby union player - I wouldn't say that."[/b]

I know you see about 100 articles on a player could switch codes and its usually garbage but imagine if Slater did.. how would he go as a fullback, would he be the fullback the Wallabies are after? Victoria are expected a Super franchise in a few years time so he could come in with them when they start.

Its doubtful he will switch, this year hes finally cracked back into the Origin team and the Kangaroos and would love to keep playing for Queensland and Australia.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (QLD @ Nov 18 2008, 08:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
Slater now on rugby radar

By Brent Read
November 19, 2008

JUST a day after being crowned the world's best player, Australia full-back Billy Slater has become a target for rugby union clubs across the country.

Queensland high-performance manager Ben Whitaker confirmed the Reds were keen to speak to Slater if the Storm custodian had a genuine interest in switching codes.

Slater has a Mark Gasnier-type clause in his contract which allows him to leave Melbourne at the end of next season should he receive a lucrative offer from English Super League or rugby.

Given his form for club and country over the past year, union officials have had their ears pricked by the existence of the clause.

"I wouldn't be doing my job if I didn't," Whitaker said when asked if he would investigate Slater's interest in a switch of codes. "I think he's one of those players that any code would definitely explore or have a look at having on board."

News of union's interest is the last thing Melbourne need given their salary cap position. The club are fighting to retain captain Cameron Smith following a lucrative offer from the Gold Coast.

The Storm have put talks with all players on hold until Smith's future is finalised.

The club have already indicated a desire to renegotiate Slater's deal, which he signed in 2007 when he was on the periphery of representative football.

Since then, he has produced one of the greatest seasons by a full-back in premiership history.

On Monday night, Slater was named international rugby league player of the year, beating a high-class field which also included Storm teammates Smith and Greg Inglis.

As a result of his performances for Melbourne, Queensland and Australia this year, Slater would rightly expect to become one of the highest earners in the game.

"He would be fantastic," Whitaker said.

"But they have to have a genuine desire to play the game. You do know playing our game can result in great financial rewards.

"We would definitely want to gauge pretty early whether he has an interest in playing the game. If it's just about upping his salary, we don't need that."

Rugby union's interest in Slater could yet affect Kangaroos team-mate Karmichael Hunt. Less than four months ago it was revealed the ARU and the provincial Super 14 side had expressed an interest in the Brisbane full-back.

Hunt, who has a background in rugby and is off contract at the end of next year, recently indicated he would prefer to remain in rugby league.

While he has never publicly expressed an interest in rugby, and has spoken of his contentment in Melbourne, Slater's head could be turned should the ARU put in a significant sweetener.

"He's a great player and I love watching him," dual international Michael O'Connor said. "To say he's automatically going to be a great rugby union player - I wouldn't say that."[/b]

I know you see about 100 articles on a player could switch codes and its usually garbage but imagine if Slater did.. how would he go as a fullback, would he be the fullback the Wallabies are after? Victoria are expected a Super franchise in a few years time so he could come in with them when they start.

Its doubtful he will switch, this year hes finally cracked back into the Origin team and the Kangaroos and would love to keep playing for Queensland and Australia.
[/b][/quote]

If I were a pro Rugger, I'd go to whichever code gave me the best offer. I especially say that after seeing this amazing RLWC.

He would go just fine in Rugby - It tends to be the forwards that struggle in the transition. The NRL is really starting to reap the benefits of the club driven selfishness. If it isn't Rugby it is SL - One day we will simply run out of players

When money is not an issue (rugby money would be bigger)...and he has achieved all their is to achieve (this Saturday he will have won the only thing left to win) the only thing left is....greater fame.

Rugby would give Slater the bigger stage...the stage with more variety and more fans.  It is tempting he like many other NRL players knows he is better than some of the ARU players around...if not better than all of them.

There are some players in the NRL who would seriously school some of the Wallabies.  Inglis for example would make Mortlock look so yesterday and in fact I believe Inglis would be THE best centre in the world as a rugby player.  Lockyer would have been a Christian Cullen type fullback in his early days and now in his later years he is good enough to be a brilliant first five.  Willie Mason would have done the damage as a number eight and also as a third jumping option in the lineout.  These players could have made a bigger splash in the bigger rugby world if they had switched.

Funny thing is there are loads of incredible Aussie athletes playing in the ARL...but we will be quiet about that goldmine and let them stay there where no one except Aussie Rules fams know who they are. 

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gay-Guy @ Nov 19 2008, 05:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
When money is not an issue (rugby money would be bigger)...and he has achieved all their is to achieve (this Saturday he will have won the only thing left to win) the only thing left is....greater fame.

Rugby would give Slater the bigger stage...the stage with more variety and more fans. It is tempting he like many other NRL players knows he is better than some of the ARU players around...if not better than all of them.

There are some players in the NRL who would seriously school some of the Wallabies. Inglis for example would make Mortlock look so yesterday and in fact I believe Inglis would be THE best centre in the world as a rugby player. Lockyer would have been a Christian Cullen type fullback in his early days and now in his later years he is good enough to be a brilliant first five. Willie Mason would have done the damage as a number eight and also as a third jumping option in the lineout. These players could have made a bigger splash in the bigger rugby world if they had switched.

Funny thing is there are loads of incredible Aussie athletes playing in the ARL...but we will be quiet about that goldmine and let them stay there where no one except Aussie Rules fams know who they are.[/b]

You think so? I reckon Mason would be rubbish at union. He's too much of a leaguie, runs too much like one, not agile/quick enough for breakdowns if you know what I mean.

Petero Civoniceva or Dane Carlaw would have done well.

Agreed about Inglis though - he'd make Mortlock look second rate.. how good would it be to see him in a Wallabies jumper? Or Israel Folau.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (QLD @ Nov 19 2008, 09:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Agreed about Inglis though - he'd make Mortlock look second rate.. how good would it be to see him in a Wallabies jumper? Or Israel Folau.[/b]
Hopefully we will never know haha!

Seriously though....Inglis is the best rugby union centre of the modern era.  He would even be an amazing winger in the mould of the big NZ winger factory.  Luckily the ARU have no idea eh ha!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (QLD @ Nov 19 2008, 07:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
You think so? I reckon Mason would be rubbish at union. He's too much of a leaguie, runs too much like one, not agile/quick enough for breakdowns if you know what I mean.

Petero Civoniceva or Dane Carlaw would have done well.[/b]

Civoniceva is nowhere near as fast as Mason,

So true, Wallabies backs are too small these days, and dont have the creative flair the Horans/Campeses had, and the Mulianas/Sivivatus have now, which is why we cant match them and they run circles around the Wallabies, or any team for that matter.

If Gasnier comes back to S14 how do you reckon he will go in the Wallabies?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bennyfishel @ Nov 19 2008, 06:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (QLD @ Nov 19 2008, 07:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

So? At least he's not a talk it up useless hack like Mason. Peteros one of the best props, if not the best prop in RL in the 2000's era. One of the toughest blokes in league. He's probably the only forward in league that would switch succesfully, second row/no.8 I reckon. Would be Palu except good.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (QLD @ Nov 19 2008, 09:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
So true, Wallabies backs are too small these days, and dont have the creative flair the Horans/Campeses had, and the Mulianas/Sivivatus have now, which is why we cant match them and they run circles around the Wallabies, or any team for that matter.

If Gasnier comes back to S14 how do you reckon he will go in the Wallabies?[/b]
Gasnier is good but he would only be good at second five and he would have to learn to kick.  Howeve he is a good enough player....not sure if he is really fast enough with acceleration to be that effective.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (QLD @ Nov 19 2008, 09:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bennyfishel @ Nov 19 2008, 06:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (QLD @ Nov 19 2008, 07:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

So? At least he's not a talk it up useless hack like Mason. Peteros one of the best props, if not the best prop in RL in the 2000's era. One of the toughest blokes in league. He's probably the only forward in league that would switch succesfully, second row/no.8 I reckon. Would be Palu except good.
[/b][/quote]
Civoniceva had some serious speed for a prop...not as fast as Mason but still quiye fast for a prop.

Though he would die as a rugby prop....not sure where he would play.

How does this affect the next generation of players seeing thier heroes constantly looking to move over to Rugby Union? I mean, rugby union survived the league raids because of the fact it was amateur and they were a group of small supporters. Whereas now both codes are professional and the need to marketable players in the code is essential to their survival to make money and gain more players. Interesting.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gay-Guy @ Nov 19 2008, 02:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (QLD @ Nov 19 2008, 09:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If Gasnier comes back to S14 how do you reckon he will go in the Wallabies?[/b]
Gasnier is good but he would only be good at second five and he would have to learn to kick.  Howeve he is a good enough player....not sure if he is really fast enough with acceleration to be that effective.
[/b][/quote]

I have to say I think he is one of the most over rated players I have seen. Does have flashes of brilliance and does have talent - I just got bored with seeing either only a couple of times a season. Also very injury proned and has noooooo kicking game

well after his world cup final performance they can have him. The shot over the head was way too cocky and, i think, one of the turning points in the game.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gho @ Nov 22 2008, 09:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
well after his world cup final performance they can have him. The shot over the head was way too cocky and, i think, one of the turning points in the game.[/b]

Gee doesn't take long for the knives to come out. The guy makes a mistake once a season, last night just happened to be the night. Yes it was a turning point, but how the hell did Australia find itself in that situation to begin with :(

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wizard From Oz @ Nov 23 2008, 05:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gho @ Nov 22 2008, 09:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
well after his world cup final performance they can have him. The shot over the head was way too cocky and, i think, one of the turning points in the game.[/b]

Gee doesn't take long for the knives to come out. The guy makes a mistake once a season, last night just happened to be the night. Yes it was a turning point, but how the hell did Australia find itself in that situation to begin with :(
[/b][/quote]
Slater is quite a brilliant player...sure he gave away that try...but he also created one in the first half with his break through a kiwi defence that had held firm until then.

If you actually watch what Slater does before his EPIC FAIL you will see touches of brilliance.  For starters the kick from Hohaia was perfect and was heading into the in-goal...Slater would have picked it up and then had to deal with the kiwi chasers...but instead his speed gets him to the ball to catch it on the full before it gest to the line....brilliant!  Then he sees a small chance down the sideline....he realises if he gets through it is a straight 70 metre dash to the tryline.

However someone forgot to tell him he wasn't playing PNG or Fiji and that the freedom he had running circles around those teams do not apply...Manu pushes him out...he tries more of his brilliance to chuck the ball back in when he is going out...but it goes to no one but Marshall who is only in that position because he was not good enough to stop Slater in the first place 5 metres from the line.

He had a decent game to be fair, but for the EPIC FAIL it has to rank in the top five moments of rugby league stupidity for me, and I have seen someone offload the ball over their own line to put the opposition back into a cup final. It really, really was dumb.

It's not like there were two minutes to go, there was plenty of time on the clock. But his EPIC FAIL isn't in vain, there will be a series of BILLY SLATER EPIC FAIL t-shirts hopefully available for sale from TRF in the coming week.

epic_fail.jpg

There was another EPIC FAIL when the Kangaroos right winger (the guy who thought he was so hot when he dashed away for their second try) ALSO tried to run down that side of the field (why this preoccuaption with attacking Manu's wing?).  Anyway...he got hammered and ushered over the sideline (same place where Slater was going out) and his head slammed into the turf for what would be called by boxing officials as a TKO.  He took ages to recover.

Thurston should also be given an EPIC FAIL notice for losing the ball in the tackle when on attack ten metres out.

Anyway...wasn't the NZ/England semicloser in score???  I can't remember if it was more or less than 14 points.

If it is any consolation to Billy his defeat was only by 14 and not by 24.

EPIC FAIL!!!!!

St. Helens call us Australians arrogant, now look at the crap he's dishing out.

Why are the Poms gloating about the Kiwi's win last night? I thought England's overall performance at this world cup was even funnier and more of an epic fail, given most English users on this forum thought they had a chance of winning the world cup. Kiwi supporters are being completely reasonable about the win. This was a great win for NZ and great for the game. And they know it and are grateful that this will have a huge impact on the game in NZ. It says a lot that about the English supporters, despite their teams pisspoor performance in this world cup that they're hanging **** over Australia for losing. Every nation except England and possibly France took big strides forward during this tournament. Even Australia will be the better for this loss - International Football will get a big boost out of this.

Still I had no idea why Billy decided to run blindside again Manu - he knew he had no chance. Australia forgot to go back to the basics last night - in keeping the ball in hand, getting possession, completing the sets, kicking in goal in hope of getting a line drop out etc.

Latest posts