• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Smart ball technology to be used at JWRC

Will help speed up some TMO decisions and ensure decisions are based on fact rather than judgement. What's not to like?

Who knows, we might even see passes having to go backwards, eradicating the direction of hands nonsense. Maybe even straight scrum feeds?

I'm a dinosaur on a lot of things, but I like this. Providing of course that the tech works and officials apply it properly.

Direction of hands is the law though. All I can see this doing making lineout placement more accurate and possibly groundings if they can differentiate between ball hitting a body and ball hitting ground.

Direction of hands is the law though. All I can see this doing making lineout placement more accurate and possibly groundings if they can differentiate between ball hitting a body and ball hitting ground.
Yeah so that won't work you have people yelling at the tech when the ball go forwards due to momentum before release.

You won't fix grounding most of the contentious calls aren't about whether the ball hit the ground or over the line but if a player actually had control.

Definitely won't fix straight scrum feeds.

I read the momentum of the player will be taken into account with the tech. Unless this is a future thing.

The some technology that can detect the ball being thrown can be used to detect the motion of being carried by the players.

Any acceleration forwards at the point of release is a forward pass, forward momentum of the player will cause no extra acceleration of the ball.

Anyone seen how well this has worked? I haven't watched any of the U20 tournament

Have you been surprised by what has ir hasn't been called a forward pass ?

Seems to work well in the pool stages; but for some reason didn't seem to be switched on in the 1 KO match I've watched so far (I intend to catch up over the course of the week)

Yeah the only time I remember seeing/hearing about it was for a not straight lineout in the one of the first games

Yeah the only time I remember seeing/hearing about it was for a not straight lineout in the one of the first games
There were a couple of lines-out, and a few forward passes in the first couple of rounds (and I think I remember one grounding); beyond that, we only know if the commentators tell us that the tech told the ref; rather than the officials spotting it for themselves. I remember at least one not-straight call where the commentators said that the tech had told the ref, but that he surely already knew.

In France England there was a fairly obvious forward pass off a line-out that the tech seemed to completely miss (and in real time, I assumed I must have been wrong, because of the tech) that the TMO called back on review.
Mind you, in that match, there seemed to be a couple of other tech issues as well, with stadium lights / TV cameras failing.