• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Smith Quits

I thought Lee Smith might do OK in union actually as a winger or a full back. I am very surprised he's only played 4 games though, that is what I call tail between legs. I heard about this last week, just in time to ease Leeds' injury crisis I see... I thought I'd seen the back of him as he continually scores tries against us but it's not meant to be.

Code switch fail. Maybe now clubs will realise a good league player won't always make a good union player.

It's the best solution for all concerned. Good on him for having the guts to try Union but if it's not working, why waste a few years of your career in a sport which doesn't suit you?

I remember there being a bit of a kickoff on facebook (groups and the such) saying how he was a traitor etc.
Wonder if the fans will welcome him back with open arms

If he's stuck it out a bit longer, who knows? Chris Ashton was considering a return to league last summer because he was struggling - look at him now.

That all being said, I doubt I'd stay in a job long if I had to look at Shaun Edwards ugly mug as my boss every day.

Chris Ashton was considering a return to league last summer because he was struggling - look at him now.
To me that says a lot about Ashton's character. He obviously likes Union and was pushing himself to succeed. Saints are now reapin the benefit of Ashton's determination.

Perhaps Smith just didn't like the sport. If that's the case, there's no point in Wasps holding onto him in the vain hope that he turns things around.

Officially confirmed he's returning to Leeds today. Would love to see their salary cap statement.

Did not realise the wage cap was £1,650,000, I presume if Leeds go over then they will take the fine which they will see as not being to bad for them.

Fine and points as well probably. As much as I'd like to assume they have broken the rules, I am sure they haven't in this instance.

There are all sorts of ways around it, but Leeds have never been fined or docked points for being over the cap so I don't see why that would change this time.

As fantastic as it is to watch, there's no money in RL. This is why you will very often see most players move from league to union and not the other way round. Simply put there is way more money around. One thing that makes sure it doesn't run away from normality though is the fact that you boys tend to have way, way bigger squads.

I always thought the wage cap in League was proportionate to the overall turnover of the clubs, something like 40-50%. Either way though there's not enough in Union either purely down to the caps/lack of money in the 1st place.... The rubbish that Wigan fans and that tosspot Brian Noble were harping about Chris Ashton switching codes for a 6 figure salary was utter cack. Farrell only earned so much because the RFU opened a loophole and paid most of his wages.

Only a select few of the French clubs with wealthy WEALTHY investors can afford these e500,000 a season salary's (or Toulouse who are worth more then most medium sized top flight soccer clubs).

To be fair to Toulouse though, they do produce a hell of alot of their own players and, unlike many of the clubsaround them, their squads are predominantly French in nationality.

Latest posts