• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Smoking ban arrives

Why should I have to go outside in the first place? So some fat old tart can steal my seat? [/b]

Simple dear boy...it's 'cause your hobby is harmful and unpleasant to the majority of people around you.

Surely your mates can save your seat...it's really just the same as going to the toilet. Taking a seat is a breach of pub etiquette.

Why not move to Stoke if you are that desperate....they seem to have botched the implementation and left themselves powerless to enforce the ban. Although the fact you'd have to live in Stoke-on-Trent would make it a Phyrric victory at best.

<div class='quotemain'> Why should I have to go outside in the first place? So some fat old tart can steal my seat? [/b]

Simple dear boy...it's 'cause your hobby is harmful and unpleasant to the majority of people around you.
[/b][/quote]

Every single one of those around me also have to get up and go outside now for a smoke, and not one single one of them ever complained about it being wither "harmful or unpleasent", including the staff (who all smoke themselves).

It's only the part time football season pub goers, such as yourself, that ever complain. Which they never do.

Every single one of those around me also have to get up and go outside now for a smoke, and not one single one of them ever complained about it being wither "harmful or unpleasent", including the staff (who all smoke themselves).

It's only the part time football season pub goers, such as yourself, that ever complain. Which they never do. [/b]

They shouldn't have to complain....and now they don't. It's not such a big deal. Stop being such a drama queen.

And as for me being a pub part-timer......I am due to be godfather to my pub landlady's ickle baby so let's not accuse me of being remiss on my pubbly duties.

If smoking is so dangerous, why haven't governments banned it outright? Because, at least in the States, cigarette taxes generate a great deal of tax revenue. I don't have a problem walking outside to light up - I don't even smoke in my house, but I do resent the government acting as a surrogate parent to adults.

I don't even smoke in my house, but I do resent the government acting as a surrogate parent to adults. [/b]

But they have to 'cause people are stupid....you wouldn't think the government would have to enforce the drink driving laws. You'd think that people would have the common sense not to drive while inebriated.....you'd think.

The problem for governments is that they become addicted to the income that they derive in the form of these "sin" taxes. Long-term, smoking costs the government more money then they would ever take from taxes but short-term they are reliant on that money to pay for health and other services.

Therefore on one hand the government is trying to increase the revenue that they gain and on the other hand they are trying to reduce the amount of the "sinful" activity to save money long-term.

A classic example in Melbourne is with Pokey-Machines. The state government loves the revenue that they take but they know that it causes huge problems for the community.

Addicted to the money and because they are short-term thinking organisations no-one is able to go cold-turkey and stop the "habit".

Banning smoking in pubs is one way for the government to "prove" that they are doing something to "stop" smoking (okay maybe reduce the amount of smoking) without taking the steps that they should do in outlawing smoking totally.

They don't want to ban smoking because they are addicted to the cash that it brings in.

Thus they give an easy argument for the pro-smoking lobby - but if they want to control how we smoke they should just ban it rather than limiting where they can smoke.

The only reason that I believe that smoking should be banned in pub (other than it being proven to help reduce the amount of people that smoke) is because it negatively affects other people.

I like to drive really fast - and I mean really, really fast. The only reason that I do not drive really fast all of the time is because I realise that I would place my life, and more importantly, other people's lives in danger. I do not feel that this is fair and thus I govern my speed.

When I want to go really fast - I go to a race track where I am in a controlled and relatively safe environment. I know that I face a risk but because it is just me I can accept that. If I knew that my actions would place other people at high risk I would not engage in that activity.

It is obvious that smoking should be banned. I would also say that alcohol should also be banned (just go to any A&E ward on a Friday or Saturday night and see the damage that it causes) but realise that prohibition simply does not work and causes just as many problems as it would cause if not more.

But smoking - well smoking can be banned easily.

In my opinion smokers are the most inconsiderate people and as such do not deserve any special rights.

Holy ****, it appears after what I just heard on the radio, I'm worse for society then football hooligans or Al Queda.

The world needs a sense of perspective.

In my opinion smokers are the most inconsiderate people and as such do not deserve any special rights.[/b]

How draconian of you.

Did you know I will insist on smoking right in front of you while you're eating, blowing my smoke all over your food, and I will also make sure your children inhale the smoke when you bring them into a bar.

"...How draconian of you..." Teh Mite.

What!? Because I don't think smokers should have special rights?

Go to any place in the world where smokers hang out and you will find piles of discarded butts. And it won't matter if there is a bin nearby - smokers, as some of the most inconsiderate people on this earth (that is what I should have said in my earlier post as clearly there are some more inconsiderate people out there) think that it is fine to simply drop their garbage anywhere they want.

As far as I am concerned they have lost the right to complain that they are being disadvantaged.

Go to any place in the world where smokers hang out and you will find piles of discarded butts. And it won't matter if there is a bin nearby - smokers, as some of the most inconsiderate people on this earth (that is what I should have said in my earlier post as clearly there are some more inconsiderate people out there) think that it is fine to simply drop their garbage anywhere they want.

As far as I am concerned they have lost the right to complain that they are being disadvantaged.

[/b]

Have you noticed that it's become absolutely acceptable to throw your cigarette butts out of your car window nowadays.

"...How draconian of you..." Teh Mite.

What!? Because I don't think smokers should have special rights?

[/b]

No, because you're calling us the most inconsiderate people. You appear to think(making comments like that) we won't move a cigarette away from you if asked, like it's some conspiracy against non smokers, or we will light up in a resteraunt just because we can, or we will be sure to blow smoke in the face of an asthmatic or kid.

It's the attitudes like that from these up their own arse, "moral", discriminating non-smokers that annoy the f*** out of me.

Staying on topic but not picking up on what is being said.
Because of smoking ban, Cosmo had an article on how to quit :p
To be honest, I find that very amusing, that because a smoke ban arrives,magazines start publishing '9 easy steps to help you quit' or something like that.

Staying on topic but not picking up on what is being said.
Because of smoking ban, Cosmo had an article on how to quit :p
To be honest, I find that very amusing, that because a smoke ban arrives,magazines start publishing '9 easy steps to help you quit' or something like that. [/b]
lol, I bet next months issue will have 'Read {insert celebrity name} guide to stop smoking in 5 easy steps'

Not sure, think that would be below standard for Cosmo. Sounsd weird in some way, to say that.

lol, I bet next months issue will have 'Read {insert celebrity name} guide to stop smoking in 5 easy steps' [/b]

Or even worse:

Kerry Katona - "My hostage hell."

:ranting:

Not getting that last one, at all :(

That's the downside of it, don't know all the celebrities, although I'm guessing that's not a bad thing at times :p

All you need to know is Kerry Katona has a big pair on her...

*Matt questions what ever happened to the female personality ever since he hit puberty.*

Not getting that last one, at all :(

That's the downside of it, don't know all the celebrities, although I'm guessing that's not a bad thing at times :p [/b]
Well Kerry & he husband where held by knifepoint by a burglar. Here's the link to the story.

Or even worse:

Kerry Katona - "My hostage hell."[/b]
or:

Kerry Katona - "How my hostage hell helped me to stop smoking". :p

or:
[/b]

She's the classic bad penny 'celebrity'. She just keeps on popping up......you know why? Max Clifford.

He is like the Emporer in Star Wars...a sinister dark presence pulling the strings.

<div class='quotemain'>

or:
[/b]

She's the classic bad penny 'celebrity'. She just keeps on popping up......you know why? Max Clifford.

He is like the Emporer in Star Wars...a sinister dark presence pulling the strings.
[/b][/quote] She's got a nice rack though.

back on topic *****es

as you know i smoke and whilst i respect the clean air space that dont - i dont smoke near kids nor food, and i am conscious of my surroundings.

i cant help but wonder where all the whinges that got this ban are

was at an empty pub friday, saturday and sunday.....well there were 3-4 old diggers that fought for australia freedom, braving the cold outside smoking.

meanwhile, the non-smokers dont go to the pubs n clubs...its empty

i'll give them time to turn up, but if my local (est in 1943) closes down for bad numbers..........this new law wont sit well me many historians

they winge they get the new law - they better turn up to soak the clean air in.

meanwhile the public roads are full of pollution from cars - are they next?

electrical car people?? - i mean we are running out of oil...seems like the time is right.

f***ing govts and there contradictive agendas - f*** OFF

Latest posts