So how fast is everyone

Discussion in 'General Rugby Union' started by wygy, Feb 27, 2007.

1. wygy

wygy Guest

thinking of getting back into playing, i've been out for a good 8 years and although i'm not that small 5'11, 80kgs the guys at the local club are all quite meaty, i think i got some speed on my side. I was running about 11sec flat for the 100m at high school, once i get some speed training in I dont eckon i'll be too far off that pace, how quick are the amatuers playing now?

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. PeeJay

PeeJay Guest

I can do the 100m in about 11.2 seconds. Could probably be faster with a bit of training, but I'm more focused on my defence at the minute. I couldn't tackle a tipsy toddler.

4. melon

melon Guest

11 flat is pretty fast.

I do it in mid to low 12s.

5. gjohn85

gjohn85 Guest

I don't think I can walk 100m, let alone run 100m.

I used to play prop, so speed was never my forte.

6. Rugby_Cymru

Rugby_Cymru Guest

When you talk about running 100m in 11s where are you running?
    On a track or on grass?
    Coz there's quite a difference between the two.

7. Gulli

Gulli Guest

I clocked 11.5 on grass in the summer, which is faster grass or track?

8. Rugby_Cymru

Rugby_Cymru Guest

Track.
    If you're 11.5 on grass i'd say you're a pretty quick lad.

9. loratadine

loratadine Guest

i clocked just over 12 last time we did time trials, that was on grass... but im prob a fair bit slower now as i havent played much rugby recently,and have been drinking a fair bit!!

10. I'll share that sentiment.

I'm probably a bit slower actually, I've been compared to Will Greenwood before - build for handling not raw speed.

Makes me sound like a German car.

11. Bullitt

Bullitt Guest

I proberbly couldn't even run 100m these days. Too much beer and pies.

12. getofmeland

getofmeland Guest

I just cant run at the mo :( Leg is well and truely f***ed...

Pretty fast when I get moving, but being a lock it was never really a required strength... although once I got going I could be quite destructive...

13. Rugby_Cymru

Rugby_Cymru Guest

I was timed 11s on track, but i'm weak as hell.
    I am the Welsh Shane Williams.
    Wait...bugger.
    I'm stuck on 110kg 1 rep max on the bench press and 160kg on squat.

My lack of strength annoys me sometimes.
    All the time, actually.

14. Prestwick

Prestwick Guest

I'm faster than Monty Panesar.

15. Gandalf

Gandalf Guest

Stopped playing due to injury about 2 yrs back, was champ of district at High School - clocked a 10.8sec for 100m on track, dunno what my speed on grass was though, but i could hold my own against most opponents.

One things for sure though, South Africa have a hell of alot of fast players!

Oh, before I forget, I am 1,79m tall, weighed 82kgs at my fastest.

16. wygy

wygy Guest

yeah i was running barefoot on grass, the ground in S.A is much harder than here in the UK so my time wouldn't be much faster on a track

someone mentioned earlier that they're not that strong with a 110kg bench and 140kg squat

those lifts are identical to mine, i'm 180cm (5'11) 78kgs

i reckon i need to get to 83/84 kgs to before i feel comfortable throwing myself in front of a 100kg prop

17. Gandalf

Gandalf Guest

Tackling's more about attitude anyway.

Nothing gives me more satisfaction than seeing a big prop's face when a tiny guy brings him down! :)

18. I'm erm.... 100m in 14ish secs... weighs 92kg 1.79m tall and nothing get past me... not yet...

19. Rugby_Cymru

Rugby_Cymru Guest

Given enough space I reckon I could get around you...just as long as you don't get a hand on me, i'm in the all-clear. :D

20. SecondRow04

SecondRow04 Guest

Well, i play second row im 6ft 3in and about 17 stone and i did 100 metres on grass in 20 seconds... i was quite pleased with myself :)

21. jake the mus

jake the mus Guest

last week i ran 11.2 on grass 10.98 on track last yaer. mid to low 11's are good for rugby players cause we have to carry all that beef

Enjoyed this thread? Register to post your reply - click here!