• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

So O'Connell's The Lions Captain Then?

J

Jockstap

I've just been to the TimesOnline site and they reckon O'Connell's got the job in the bag. Personally I hope they're right he's a Colossus up front and history has though us one of the ingredients to a succesful Lions tour in South africa is a Captain in the pack.

I just went onto that website and my hate for Stephen Jones (the sports journalist) rocketed.

What a gicantic duuuuch.

Other rumours are that Cipriani looks to be travelling, as is Borthwick.

Ryan Jones is set to miss the trip entirely!

Speculation in the Irish times ..... nothing but unconfirmed rumours but passes the day.

Borthwick? That's a sick joke right? O'Connell, O'Callaghan, Alun Wyn Jones, Shaw, Kennedy, Hines are all a country mile better than him. Not to mention Gogh and Kellock. I think I've named every starting lock in the home nations now... Yeah, I'd rather have Donnocha Ryan from thw wonderfull world of the Munster bench than Borthwick.

Cipriani I can live with because you know what...he might come in handy! But what's Borthwick for? They gonha cheer people up with him?

"I know your face got focked up by Schalke Burger....but at least you don't look like that" *points at Borthwick*. That's about the only use for him!

And you could use Leo Cullen for the purpose and he's probably a better lock than him aswell.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Logorrhea @ Apr 20 2009, 10:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
...as is Borthwick.[/b]

I'm gonna stick my neck out and suggest that whoever indicated this was taking the Michael. If not they should never be allowed to communicate with another human ever again.

my contempt for Jones has already been stated previously but he really brings his profession into disrepute imo. It's a 50/50 guess and he's reporting it as if it's fact basing it on speculation and his own incite into what the coaching setup have said on previous occasions. No doubt he'll be taking the credit for his predictions in future editions even though he previously stated he's not the man to take on Matfield, this coming after Ireland had won the grand slam.

Last time we didnt have a chance to speculate as Woodward brought every man and his dog (took the fun out of it) but before then then media has a lot track record of getting a lot of this stuff wrong.

And **** it, the tabloids have been doing this for years. Write what you like, pass it off as "informed" and who cares if its right or wrong, it sells papers.

Its not a massive shock really. We all knew that Geech likes forwards being the captain and POC just fits the bill perfectly.

Im quite happy with that.

And wasn't it nice of them to name their source! Fockbags. anyway, the fact that it doesn't beat around the bush or use ambigious language or show the slightest hint of doubt at any stage suggests it's true though.

Great Choice of Captain, superb player and a good role model.

Good Luck in South Africa to the Big Fella!

it's not even on the Lions website, straight out of the Stephen Jones book of journalism that one. Wrong decision but I'll be gladly proved wrong.

It was going to be close but POC is a great choice and a phenomenal leader.

Definitely looking forward to him leading out the Lions in June!

Ive seen this "POC is captain" statement in about 5 or 6 articles now this morning, not one of them with a source or with an official quote or statement from any of the Lions management team or from POC himself.

they say that the captain is the only one who is told in advance of the announcement, therefore assuming that POC has been told even though they give no proof to confirm that.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Apr 20 2009, 06:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
they say that the captain is the only one who is told in advance of the announcement, therefore assuming that POC has been told even though they give no proof to confirm that.[/b]

They fail at page one paragraph one of journalism dammit.

Just to chime in, I've been looking for sources and can't find any either. Still not on the Lions site.
However, POC is a good choice. I'd personally hoped for BOD to get another shot as I feel he didn't really get to do the job he was given last go'round. However, I can't think of anyone better than POC if BOD isn't the choice. McGeechan does like his forwards, and I think what you see O'Connell do at Munster is the same sort of intensity we'll see him bring with the Lions Tour. It will be exciting.
Also, I'm glad to see that they aren't taking 5 plane loads of people over this time. McGeechan is setting up a much more intimate side. Hopefully the result is the team will gel together, and it will translate to victory on the pitch. I can't wait for this tour to start. Good Luck to POC.

If he is the captain then good luck to him! Always respected the guy's manner on the pitch.

No official announcement until 1:30pm BST tomorrow.

No players have been told if they are going or if they are captain. Players find out same time as we do.

Latest posts