• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

So what's the haps in this place?

Ripper

Academy Player
Country Flag
New Zealand
Haven't logged in for about 5 years, who's running the joint? anyone still around from the ancient dark days when this place was run by Kiwis and Aussies?

Big Ewis runs this place. He's supposedly French, from Qatar, but he 'sounds' like an American. We have no idea where he's really from...mebbe Mars...or Canada.

das

Last edited:
Big Ewis runs this place. He's supposedly French, from Qatar, but he 'sounds' like an American. We have no idea where he's really from...mebbe Mars...or Canada.

das

haha, you Americans. When you're not too sure what somebody is and he's a bit weird, he's just automatically Canadian. Reminds me...there's this scene in "The life and times of Tim" where Tim has to report to his boss because he started eating somebody's birthday cake before that person. Boss goes like "so why did you do it ?" Tim's like "well I mean it wasn't my idea, I don't even like cake" boss says: "wh...what ? you don't like cake ?? wth is wrong with you ?!...you Canadian ?" - so fkn random :p

And I reiterate, I do speak with an American accent in English. Born and raised in Qatar, somehow, Americanized me because it's really a huge pool of globalization. The local culture is largely dimmed and quite hidden. So it's all the exported stuff. Namely American. Yes the ppl I met besides the French were Indian, Arabic or Filipino, with the occasional Westerner expat (Aus, Can, US, Eur..) but I guess through video games, TV, music, movies... my bro and I became Americanized Frenchies. And other kids around us, some Palestinian Americans or Canadians, or other regular Arabs, were/are very West-influenced. And plus with the internet around 1995-96, just imagine the influence.
One of my best friends for a while was like me, born in Qatar but a total 'American kid' with his own culture (Paki mom Jordanian dad) and he has zero American in him or even Western, but he speaks much better English than Urdu or Arabic, reads English only, and all his references and tastes are Western: bands, series, movies...
I mean it's even comical and ironic some times because you'll see some arab muslim go like "So I was like, Geeez man !" like, hey, dude, Jesus is OUR guy ! (for the record yes Jesus is mentioned a lot in the Quran and is a prophet, but you get the drift).

haha, you Americans. When you're not too sure what somebody is and he's a bit weird, he's just automatically Canadian. Reminds me...there's this scene in "The life and times of Tim" where Tim has to report to his boss because he started eating somebody's birthday cake before that person. Boss goes like "so why did you do it ?" Tim's like "well I mean it wasn't my idea, I don't even like cake" boss says: "wh...what ? you don't like cake ?? wth is wrong with you ?!...you Canadian ?" - so fkn random :p

And I reiterate, I do speak with an American accent in English. Born and raised in Qatar, somehow, Americanized me because it's really a huge pool of globalization. The local culture is largely dimmed and quite hidden. So it's all the exported stuff. Namely American. Yes the ppl I met besides the French were Indian, Arabic or Filipino, with the occasional Westerner expat (Aus, Can, US, Eur..) but I guess through video games, TV, music, movies... my bro and I became Americanized Frenchies. And other kids around us, some Palestinian Americans or Canadians, or other regular Arabs, were/are very West-influenced. And plus with the internet around 1995-96, just imagine the influence.
One of my best friends for a while was like me, born in Qatar but a total 'American kid' with his own culture (Paki mom Jordanian dad) and he has zero American in him or even Western, but he speaks much better English than Urdu or Arabic, reads English only, and all his references and tastes are Western: bands, series, movies...
I mean it's even comical and ironic some times because you'll see some arab muslim go like "So I was like, Geeez man !" like, hey, dude, Jesus is OUR guy ! (for the record yes Jesus is mentioned a lot in the Quran and is a prophet, but you get the drift).

So, what is your ethnic background? I'm just curious. For the record I'm 1/4 German, 1/4 Danish (I like mine with butter), about 1/4 Scottish (mebbe a tad more), and the remaining 1/4ish is primarily Anglo-Saxon (English, Irish, French - who knows!), with a pinch of African. Born and raised in the US of A (A sometimes stands for arsseholes :p ), but not your typical 'American' in that I find other cultures far more interesting than my own. It amazes me that so many people around the world want to be like Americans...lolololol!...if they only knew!!! We really aren't like what you see in the movies (that's just Hollywood), we're really more like the suspects you see on any given episode of COPS. Or here: http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/

It's a shame, really.

das

my mom's Egyptian (Coptic, Christian community there), my dad's French/German. French side is from the Toulouse area, "Gascon" area, near the Spanish border.
Man, you Americans and your ethnic background enumerations ! You're AMERICAN, that's it ! It's like all those Americans who claim they're Irish. I was making fun of Ireland with some cheap one once, and some """"Irish"""" American got ****** off, and I apologized and asked what he knew about Ireland, I'd been 3 times and knew some areas, towns...he had absolutely no clue. It's fkn pathetic, sorry but, it is.

And I know Americans, don't worry, I'm not one of those big fans of America who just see the good side with the big cars, Hollywood blockbuster explosions and yay 'Friends' and the Simpsons and rock n roll yeaahhh...I do know both the pros and cons fairly well...but even in light of the cons, thank God you guys exist. Europe alone may be history sooner than we think...

Same shiit here btw: everybody thinks France is "aaah so beautiful, ah so refined ooh the food, the cafés...etc..." but although French people's qualities are considerable, their flaws are just as big.

Hey, what the shiit is this thread for again ?? Oh yeah...I'd seriously totally forgotten...that Aussie from TRF prehistory. Uhmm...well I think we just shat all over this again, didn't we ?! :lol:

Oh and btw you forgot an 'i' in there, in the middle of the word "runs":

Big Ewis runs this place.

Please be careful with this in the future...

Charlie, Dan and Chris were owners when I joined back in 07. Chris had a falling out with the others over the running of the place a few years back and the two boys bought him out between them (I believe.) Since then Charlie has had a lot going on in his life outside of the forum meaning he had to step back while Dan's interest understandably dwindled as the place became more and more union focused. They recently sold the place to some new guy whose name escapes me (I'm going to guess Geoff) who after doing a lot of good stuff early on has de facto disappeared, which is causing serious problems for the staff and the general running of the place.

Not too many older posters left I'm afraid. The place's user base is about what it always was, but people come and go all the time.

Last edited:
Charlie, Dan and Chris were owners when I joined back in 07. Chris had a falling out with the others over the running of the place a few years back and the two boys bought him out between them (I believe.) Since then Charlie has had a lot going on in his life outside of the forum meaning he had to step back while Dan's interest understandably dwindled as the place became more and more union focused. They recently sold the place to some new guy whose name escapes me (I'm going to guess Geoff) who after doing a lot of good stuff early on has de facto disappeared, which is causing serious problems for the staff and the general running of the place.

Not too many older posters left I'm afraid. The place's user base is about what it always was, but people come and go all the time.

Chris being Teh_Mite?

Didn't even know he stepped up to becoming an owner, must've been around the time I stopped being a regular. Captainamerica still pop by from time to time?

Yep, Chris is Teh_Mite. Very recently got married too.

I haven't seen Captainamerica in yonks bruv. His legendary hedges thread pops up from time to time, and is still the undisputed greatest thread in the history of the forum.

Chris being Teh_Mite?

Didn't even know he stepped up to becoming an owner, must've been around the time I stopped being a regular. Captainamerica still pop by from time to time?

Mite was an owner as far as I am aware when Charlie and Dan bought the forum. But only bought a small share. Nah Captainamerica ain't been seen here for a while.

I haven't seen Captainamerica since I joined the forum. Prestwick pops by for breif visits from time to time, Bull, Melon, Canadian Rugger are very occasional posters from way back in the day that drop by sometimes. Sanzar returned after a lengthy absense and is a regular again.

Last edited:
Haven't logged in for about 5 years, who's running the joint? anyone still around from the ancient dark days when this place was run by Kiwis and Aussies?

I know that the Kiwis won the World Cup before the All Blacks did since the last time we spoke!

Good to see you back Ripper.

Last edited:
my mom's Egyptian (Coptic, Christian community there), my dad's French/German. French side is from the Toulouse area, "Gascon" area, near the Spanish border.
Man, you Americans and your ethnic background enumerations ! You're AMERICAN, that's it ! It's like all those Americans who claim they're Irish. I was making fun of Ireland with some cheap one once, and some """"Irish"""" American got ****** off, and I apologized and asked what he knew about Ireland, I'd been 3 times and knew some areas, towns...he had absolutely no clue. It's fkn pathetic, sorry but, it is.

And I know Americans, don't worry, I'm not one of those big fans of America who just see the good side with the big cars, Hollywood blockbuster explosions and yay 'Friends' and the Simpsons and rock n roll yeaahhh...I do know both the pros and cons fairly well...but even in light of the cons, thank God you guys exist. Europe alone may be history sooner than we think...

Same shiit here btw: everybody thinks France is "aaah so beautiful, ah so refined ooh the food, the cafés...etc..." but although French people's qualities are considerable, their flaws are just as big.

Hey, what the shiit is this thread for again ?? Oh yeah...I'd seriously totally forgotten...that Aussie from TRF prehistory. Uhmm...well I think we just shat all over this again, didn't we ?! :lol:

Oh and btw you forgot an 'i' in there, in the middle of the word "runs":

Please be careful with this in the future...

I will be...I will be. ;)

As far as the whole "ethnic background enumerations" thing goes, I think it's because many (not all) Americans feel 'American' in a patriotic sense, but not so in an ethnic sense. The only true 'Americans' are those with Native American ancestry. For many of us our family lines only go back one, maybe two, generations here in this country, so even if they've never been to the 'homeland' they still feel a connection to said homeland. And many people - even after generations here in the States - just don't let go of their traditional ways, especially in the cities where there are still strong pockets of ethnic cultures, such as 'Little Italys' or 'Chinatowns'. That being the case, there are places in the States where you can get good Japanese food (west coast), good Italian food (northeast), Portuguese food (coastal New England), German food (Pennsylvania), and so on and so forth.

Okay - gotta get back to work! Blargh. :p

das

I'll just go ahead and add I think the Italian subculture thing is a real one in America. Those guys have their own accent, eat their own food, have their own places, mentality, their own physique...it's the others that I deplore. I may be wrong, but from what I've seen consistently the Irish thing is total B.S. Those guys aren't any different from any other American, they eat burgers, drink beer, talk chicks and baseball/football, think like others...etc...
Some apparently even go as far as to following an ideological pattern in regards to their "roots". They'll go out of their way to forge an identity and have their life artificially resemble that which they consider to be "authentic", but it's all intellectual misleading. Like, dude, you're just American, you're not "Irish" or "Scottish", I don't give a shhiit what your grandparents' grandparents did.

But yeah, American identity in a post-developmental contemporary setting (I'm pretty sure, quite positive..) has NOTHING to do with who's still on TRF from the old days so I'm....just going to quietly start walking this way.........:rolleyes:

I'll just go ahead and add I think the Italian subculture thing is a real one in America. Those guys have their own accent, eat their own food, have their own places, mentality, their own physique...it's the others that I deplore.

I would say that the Asian cultures, especially the Chinese culture, are even stronger than the Italian culture here in the States. The Asian subcultures here are very close-knit, and remain as such even after several generations.

I may be wrong, but from what I've seen consistently the Irish thing is total B.S. Those guys aren't any different from any other American, they eat burgers, drink beer, talk chicks and baseball/football, think like others...etc...

Uh...did you just describe an Irishman, or an Irish American? ;) ;) ;)

Some apparently even go as far as to following an ideological pattern in regards to their "roots". They'll go out of their way to forge an identity and have their life artificially resemble that which they consider to be "authentic", but it's all intellectual misleading. Like, dude, you're just American, you're not "Irish" or "Scottish", I don't give a shhiit what your grandparents' grandparents did.

Back a hundred years ago or so the Irish were hated in this country, and faced a lot of persecution (almost like blacks did before the civil rights movement). I think in a way that just made those of Irish descent even more proud of their heritage. So, fastforward about 80 years (give or take) to the late '80s, early '90s, when the US of A was taken by the New Age-y Irish sounds of Enya, and then the whole Riverdance phenom. Then EVERYone wanted to be Irish, even the Italians. ;)

But yeah, American identity in a post-developmental contemporary setting (I'm pretty sure, quite positive..) has NOTHING to do with who's still on TRF from the old days so I'm....just going to quietly start walking this way.........:rolleyes:

It has EVERYthing to do with TRF!

Why? Well, along with globalization (the influx of a variety of cultures into lands once mono-cultured), comes an interest in such things as sports - and rugby - into countries once oblivious to such games. I'm guessing 5 years ago there wasn't a regular poster from the USA - and a woman, at that - but there is now! See? I managed to keep things semi-on-topic, albeit barely. ;)

das

Riverdance, started by an Irish-American.

That all I'm saying off-topic as once an Irish person starts about Irish-American's we rarely stop.

Why? Well, along with globalization (the influx of a variety of cultures into lands once mono-cultured), comes an interest in such things as sports - and rugby - into countries once oblivious to such games. I'm guessing 5 years ago there wasn't a regular poster from the USA - and a woman, at that - but there is now! See? I managed to keep things semi-on-topic, albeit barely. ;)

das

yes...and we're all - VERY impressed...

Sorry man, we scrapped the TRFie for comeback of the year ;)

I'm still here, though back in the day I was Chiefs Fan.

Latest posts