• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Soccer (football) boots vs. American Football cleats

I presume Nike soccer boots are fairly easy to get hold of?
I know a fair few people who play in those, but with the studs switched to metal ones, forwards and backs.
The Tiempos could be a good shout, and Bullitt will like you because they're black and they aren't blades:
http://www.worldsoccershop.com/162218.html
(I presume they do a cheaper model of the same as well)

Last edited:
The laws say your studs have to bed fully metal, so remember that too.

Sorry Bullit, or is that you mite? anyway, The law does not say that studs have to be fully metal.

Law 4.3 (b) Moulded rubber multi-studded soles are acceptable provided they have no sharp edges or
ridges.

I wasn't talking about moulded boots, I said STUDS. If he bought roundball boots, they'd either be fully plastic or with metal tips, both of which are illegal.

Try reading what I said before pedantically correcting me next time. It won't make you end up looking silly.

Last edited:
Settle Chris. Go do a dance of some sort. And film it. ;)

Also. Explain these then!

adidas-shoes-019980-left.jpg

They're not studs, they're blades. Also, they're more less half metal,
The rule is to stop the plastic shattering and you running around with little knives sticking out of your feet, which would be a tad uncomfortable for anyone that might get trodden on

I wasn't talking about moulded boots, I said STUDS. If he bought roundball boots, they'd either be fully plastic or with metal tips, both of which are illegal.

Try reading what I said before pedantically correcting me next time. It won't make you end up looking silly.

Sorry my man, but this is actually the first time I've heard that a mixture of these materials for a stud can deem the boots illegal. Can you enlighten me on how you come to this statement? Coz I can't find anything on the law book or regulations that states this - but then maybe I wasn't looking hard enough.

Regulations goes on and on about the different tests that studs have to pass (basically - the stud has to withstand being smashed with a hammer from various angles) - i think it's just taken as a given that football studs don't stand up to this (as the emphasis on football studs is lightness rather than strenght)

It's simple. Composite studs and blades are illegal.

Advice on Studs & Blades
From Bob Rogers, Chairman Governance Committee & Ken Bracewell, RFU Referee Manager

BOOTS (including ‘Blades’) - LAW 4

LAW 4 deals with players̢۪ clothing - which includes footwear.

LAW 4(3) deals with studs as follows:
(a) Studs of players̢۪ boots must conform with the IRB Specification set out in IRB Regulation 12.
(b) Moulded rubber multi-studded soles are acceptable provided they have no sharp edges or ridges.

LAW 4(4) deals with BANNED ITEMS OF CLOTHING and this includes:
(b) A player must not wear any item that is sharp or abrasive.
(h) A player must not wear any item that is normally permitted by Law, but in the referee̢۪s opinion that is liable to cause injury to a player.
(i) A player must not wear a single stud at the toe of the boot.

LAW 4(5) deals with INSPECTION OF PLAYERS̢۪ CLOTHING and this includes:
The referee or the touch judges appointed by or under the authority of the match organiser inspect the players̢۪ clothing and studs for conformity to this Law.
The referee has power to decide at any time, before or during the match, that part of a player̢۪s clothing is dangerous or illegal. If the referee decides that clothing is dangerous or illegal the referee must order the player to remove it. The player must not take part in the match until the items of clothing are removed.

COMMENT
All studs worn must comply with Law 4.
The IRB has contacted all known manufacturers of boots (irrespective of whether or not they are specifically made for rugby use) and this includes manufacturers of ‘blades’. These manufacturers are required by the IRB to self certify that their studs comply with Law 4.
‘Blades’ include Adidas Exchangeable Traxion Studs.
Referees and touch judges will inspect boots only to check that they are safe to play in. They will check that there are no sharp edges or burring etc.
Referees and touch judges will not be looking for kite marks or similar approval markings or manufacturers details.

ADVICE
Players must always:
Check that their studs are safe to play in
Reject any boots that have sharp edges or burring etc.
Ask their retailer for confirmation that the manufacturer complies with IRB Specifications
The final responsibility is with the players to ensure that they play in safe boots.

Plastic studs with metal tips break. They always break; Especially if any rucking were to occur. Therefore they have sharp and abrasive edges, or even worse the tip of the stud/blade would break off and become lodged beneath an opponents skin. So if Sir sees them when he does the studs inspection, he will politely tell you to "get the **** off my pitch". Metal studs however don't snap and they don't wear down to become a soleful chiv.

If you're really having trouble sleeping one evening, Read through IRB regulation 12 http://www.irb.com/mm/document/lawsregs/0/060924gfirbregulation12_879.pdf (Page 25 onwards refers to boots).

Rule of thumb: Heavy boots with metal studs to protect you and the opposition. Moulded lightweight things if you're a bit of a [strike]Cipriani[/strike] batty boy fly half. Poncy Nike "90"s if you want to play a girls sport as that's all they'll allow you to do.

Regulations goes on and on about the different tests that studs have to pass (basically - the stud has to withstand being smashed with a hammer from various angles) - i think it's just taken as a given that football studs don't stand up to this (as the emphasis on football studs is lightness rather than strenght)

Yea, I can accept that, as long as the stud in question has the ability to change shape in a way that pose danger of some sort then it is dangerous and should be illegal. Just that who knows there might be a plastic strong enough or a mix that can withstand that pressure. Just saying.

http://www.buyandwalk.com/department/men/adidas-predator-powerswerve-trx-fg-MFCD-048517-DP-2.html

"The Predator POWERSWERVE TRX FG soccer cleats from adidas are yet another example of adidas' commitment to soccer shoe perfection"

Stupid Australian
]

"The Adidas Predator PowerSwerve is worn by Dan Carter of the New Zealand All Blacks, Brian Habana of South Africa, Jonny Wilkinson of England, Charlie Hodgson of England, James Hook of Wales, Ronan O'Gara of Ireland and Chris Paterson of Scotland"

Whinging Pom.

Ok Chris, TRF's come to a conclusion for your birthday present this year!

pds002009185.jpg

Hope you enjoy.

Hi guys, I'm new to rugby but I've found that as the time goes on It's becoming more and more addicting. For the past few months I've been playing more often and my playing needs now exceed the capabilities of regular athletic shoes. Being in America the selection of rugby boots is naturally low (I've never even seen a pair, even on rugby players).

I've been reading that soccer boots are all right as long as I swap out the studs, but I like the ankle support from American football cleats better. I played American football my whole childhood up until I turned 18 so I'm far more comfortable with cleats, but the toes aren't designed for kicking. I threw on my old worn out pair and I had less control than usual. Soccer boots are designed for kicking obviously but I'm worried that the lack of ankle support could injure me in the long run. I play pretty much all positions, as there aren't really a lot of people to play with, so we switch it up a lot. I did a search but didn't find an answer. Any Americans or Canadians out there have experience with this?
Hi. I'm American, and think I can help you out. Only wear the mid/high stuff if you play in the forward pack. Your coaches should be sorting out who plays where soon, they need to do so if not. I'm a forward who played American Football all the way through college level. I ditched the high boots for low ones for mobility, of which you need more of in rugby. However, if you insist on getting high top or mid top cleats here is the easiest way to do it: http://www.worldrugbyshop.com/departments-footwear-soft-ground-rugby-boots.html
There are several pairs that will suit your needs on there, and this is an USofA distributer.
Personally, I think you should say F*** it and get these:
watermarked_thumbnail.aspx

Thanks for the input guys. I found some American Football cleats that I like well enough. I was going to keep them in mind until I noticed the 60% off sign, and promptly purchased them. I decided to try them out today by running around the local park and they work great. The only problem is that the last pair they had in my size were a horrible color.
7daa8755bfc861bdd470fe1056575f6f.jpg

They should look fine once I dirty them up a bit.

"The Adidas Predator PowerSwerve is worn by Dan Carter of the New Zealand All Blacks, Brian Habana of South Africa, Jonny Wilkinson of England, Charlie Hodgson of England, James Hook of Wales, Ronan O'Gara of Ireland and Chris Paterson of Scotland"
Whinging Pom.

So 7 players, who are contracted to Adidas and therefore have given permission for their names and likeness to be used in advertising, are mentioned and you're basing your entire argument around that.

Bloody Moaning Australians...

To be fair, you're both right and wrong.
The boots posted above ARE the football (soccer) ones, but Adidas do make rugby versions of the Predators (which thicker material/protection, and a different sole etc., they also have rugby written on the toe, just in case you forget what you're playing) - i've got a pair of each in my kitchen :p

As do I ;) The ones I posted up are actually Adidas Powerswerve's SG variant as opposed to Mite's link to a FG variant.

Although apparently one has "liquid traxion (TM!) on the inner boot to increase ball spin and grip"... Marketing ploy? I think so!

Thanks for the input guys. I found some American Football cleats that I like well enough. I was going to keep them in mind until I noticed the 60% off sign, and promptly purchased them. I decided to try them out today by running around the local park and they work great. The only problem is that the last pair they had in my size were a horrible color.
7daa8755bfc861bdd470fe1056575f6f.jpg

They should look fine once I dirty them up a bit.
Dear Cooper35,

[BLINK]American Football boots are not allowed in Rugby![/BLINK] The toe cleat (the one in the front middle) is banned. They do cleat checks before every match and the ref will tell you to change them. I really hope you didn't waste the money on these after we all gave you recomendations and even provided websites with affordable options. I've seen many a rookie not allowed to play in a match because he was wearing Gridiron cleats. Don't let this be you.

Under Armour do make rugby boots as well, if you want that brand, but as O'Rothlain said, it specifies in the rules you aren't allowed a single toe cleat so those ones are out i'm afraid

These ones are fine (UA Create and UA Dominate - these are the firm ground ones, but they do studded ones as well, though they come with football studs so you'd need to switch them out):
06128901_white.jpg

underarmourcreatepro.jpg

Latest posts