Solomons fired by Edinburgh

Bruce_ma gooshvili

International
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Scotland
Club or Nation
Georgia
http://www.scotsman.com/sport/rugby...inburgh-as-alan-solomons-steps-down-1-4243144

Happy with that as I think Solomons has been all over the place and unconvincing this season. Good to see decisive action rather than frittering about as the club regresses further. Hodge is not the answer and as much I'd like one Scot manager of one franchise at any one time, I think there may be a need to go overseas again. It is a pretty desperate situation for Edinburgh and the SRU that a club playing in a stadium regularly filled with almost 70,000 fans can barely attract 4,000 fans because the fare on offer is so unappealling (and the lack of an appropriate stadium).

The SRU are making increasing noises about selling both franchises again today and you have to wonder after presumably breaking the bank for Rennie at Glasgow, if there is anything left to get a decent coach at Edinburgh. If they did go external I'd have no idea who'd they'd get. Presumably the timing with White at Montpellier is pure coincidence, but perhaps not.

Rennie and White would be quite a double coup if the latter happens.

Montpellier sitting pretty in the Top14 table at the moment.

I'm not overly surprised as they are probably the most negative teams I've seen live in the last two or so years. The big question for Edinburgh is who they'll get in to replace him in the longer term. I can't see anyone high profile wanting to take on that challenge at the moment. It's an important decision and I hope they find the right person.

Was Solomons fired or did he quit? Because there is a difference...

Fair point. I and most in Scotland are making an assumption based on Edinburghs consistently poor and dull performance and the fact we are only four games into the season. He also got a contract extension in the middle of last season (a bizarre decision) so if he has resigned rather than been fired then he'd be walking away from a large pay settlement, so I think it unlikely. The SRU are too diplomatic to say "we made a mistake so we have fired him for poor performance", much nicer to give the guy some dignity and say he has stepped down.

If he is announced soon in a new club or international role then that would be a sign he has resigned after being head hunted. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that he doesn't end up with the Boks!

Fair point. I and most in Scotland are making an assumption based on Edinburghs consistently poor and dull performance and the fact we are only four games into the season. He also got a contract extension in the middle of last season (a bizarre decision) so if he has resigned rather than been fired then he'd be walking away from a large pay settlement, so I think it unlikely. The SRU are too diplomatic to say "we made a mistake so we have fired him for poor performance", much nicer to give the guy some dignity and say he has stepped down.

If he is announced soon in a new club or international role then that would be a sign he has resigned after being head hunted. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that he doesn't end up with the Boks!

Well the SA newspapers are saying he quit...

So it is an interesting scenario. Especially that both he and Jake White have basically lost their current job in the same week... It just seems to me, that something big is happening...

The fact Cotter is very quickly named as replacement for White makes me think that White will be coming to Edinburgh and that this is a coordinated set of manouvers instigated by the SRU. But I have absolutely zero information to that effect and White's name isn't even being mentioned in the media here. The only thing being mentioned here is that there is no sign of anyone coming to Edinburgh for the rest of this season (which again would fit in with White if he is staying on in France until the end of the season).

If it turns out Solomons has walked away and has no job lined up, because he feels he has not made the grade, then I salute him as a man of great character. Media here talking of him having "paid the price" for his performance but it would seem incredibly odd to sack a man just 10-15 games after you had extended his contract. I fear we'll never know.

Last edited:
I can assure you Jake White will be in France till June but if you can get him it would be a great asset for your club, but i'm pretty sure he has bigger fish to fry of course no disrespect to Glasgow.,

Cockerill confirmed at Edinburgh. I guess Hodge was judged not to have taken his chance. I'm totally underwhelmed by this appointment given his recent dismissal from Leicester and was hoping either Hodge got longer or the South African Jake White got the gig. What sort of play style does Cokerill aim for?

Latest posts