Sonny Bill Williams signs with Chiefs and NZRU for two years

nickdnz

International
TRF Legend
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
Hurricanes
Sonny Bill Williams has a place at the Rio de Janeiro Olympics in his sights after signing a two-year contract with New Zealand rugby.

The New Zealand Rugby Union announced Williams, 28, will play for the two-time defending Super Rugby champion Chiefs from 2015 and revealed the cross code star is also eyeing a sevens rugby berth at the 2016 Olympic Games.
Williams was a key part of the Chiefs' championship-winning side in 2012 but wasn't involved in this year's repeat after returning to rugby league.
Williams produced a standout 2013 season for the champion Sydney Roosters and in October confirmed he would play for them again in next year's NRL.
It was widely expected he would then return to New Zealand, where a place in the All Blacks' 2015 World Cup squad will be high on his priority list.
New Zealand Rugby Union chief executive Steve Tew says Williams has said during negotiations that he will pursue a place in New Zealand's sevens rugby campaign the following year, when the abbreviated sport makes its Olympic debut.
"We think it is great that he has made his aspirations clear and if he plays well enough to be considered for selection for those teams, then that is fantastic," Tew said.
Williams played 19 Tests for the All Blacks and was a member of their 2011 World Cup-winning squad.
He has played more than 30 Super Rugby matches for the Chiefs and Crusaders from 2010-2012, making an impact with his size, strength and trademark offloads at second five-eighth.
Chiefs coach Dave Rennie couldn't hide his delight at signing such an influential player both on and off the field.
"We're rapt. We made no secret that we were keen to get Sonny back in a Chiefs jersey," he said.

"He's not only a quality player but adds huge value to our environment off the field.

http://nz.sports.yahoo.com/rugby/ne...3946777-feb2f2f2-ba1c-4ecc-b9fc-17d2df01c5ca/

Yay, so SBW sticks around for a RWC year (which undoubtably he'll get a spot) and then gets to go for the NZ 7's team (despite playing for the Chiefs the same year and never playing 7's).

In other news, Sonny Bill Williams has officially announced the NZRU is his *****.

Nothing unexpected (which in itself is quite unexpected), I'm just glad he's put pen to paper. He'll be a great asset for the Chiefs, and if he's good enough then I see no reason why he shouldn't be selected for the All Blacks and the Sevens team (though I can't see him being a fit for the latter).

Increase your chances for RWC success and decrease your chances for an Olympic gold medal. That's a fair trade off by me.

The guys class, who cares if he's a media whore, good luck to him, he'll keep Nonu honest.

Good news for Union

I really can't see him playing 7's...

For me he can play 7's but
it would be wrong of New Zealand to present a inexperienced team in Rio must play players who play 7's all year.

Cheers

Last edited:

Latest posts