• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Soooooo... Todd Carney

Larksea

First XV
TRF Legend
Country Flag
New Zealand
maybe the last we see of him in the NRL.

Sounds like he would have no trouble getting a job in another industry considering his talents outside the game.

/discuss

if there is anythign to discuss, anyone actually seriously think getting his contract torn up is too harsh?

Last edited:
Well he did apparently pee into his OWN mouth LOL......this gets close to topping Gower's charity golf drunkathon.

Shame as the guy can play when he wants to and isn't in trouble with the booze.

Maybe a desperate Super League team will give him a shot.

attachment.php

I feel bad for him he clearly has a problem but I cant see him getting out of this one he has been sacked from 3 clubs, I think he has ran out of chances. Joel Monaghan did not get sacked but was in similar position to Carney and he left for the super league.

Carney can't get a working visa for the UK due to his drink driving convictions.

Would be happy to see him at Catalans though....

I don't think the picture by itself is enough to get fired for, but coupled with everything else on his record then it's a no brainer

thought it was very harsh to sack him, he was stupid but hardly criminal

He went to the Sharks on a good packet (about $700k/season) but with a lot of strings attached. Basically they only agreed to offer him one on the proviso that he stopped being such a dumb f### up off the pitch and not bring the club or the game into disrepute.

With that and his record in mind I don't think it's harsh... I mean seriously how f###ing dumb and thick do you have to be to get into the amount of trouble he has AND still keep going out and getting smashed? The bloke is 28 and this sh## has been happening for 10 years now.

But it's also a pragmatic commercial decision too - Cronulla can't even land a sponsor right now and what company in their right mind would want to associate themselves with them while this walking f###-up is around?

I'm with sanzar.

I don't agree that rugby players should necessary be viewed as role models and I get a little sick of athletes being criticized for enjoying a typical night out. But typical behavior for a 28 year old isn't ******* into your mouth. I'm skeptical he didn't know the photo was taken. My favourite part of the interview is this excuse: "It was just a prank, the boys have seen me doing it before"...so this isn't even a one off! I mean, if you're going to keep ******* in your own mouth...total munter.

https://nz.sports.yahoo.com/league/news/article/-/24349301/carney-hits-out-at-sharks-sacking/

I don't think it's harsh. Clubs needs sponsors, and sponsors don't want to be associated with that. And he's 28 and earning $650,000. I don't think he deserves any sympathy.

he doesn't get my sympathy, just think its a bit ridiculous that someone loses their job over a silly pic that would be deemed as entertainment on a sacha baron cohen film, a all black bashes his wife and gets name suppression while a league player loses his job for peeing in his own mouth, wasn't there some big black netballer who had naked pics of herself spread online? I hope she didn't lose her job

Agree with you on the 'bashing wife and gets suspended' bit - needs to be dealt with way more harshly. But ultimately this wasn't a one-off Squirrel - it was the end of a loooong line of F### ups. At the end of the day this guy isn't just a footy player, he's a brand ambassador, and he's blown it.

he doesn't get my sympathy, just think its a bit ridiculous that someone loses their job over a silly pic that would be deemed as entertainment on a sacha baron cohen film, a all black bashes his wife and gets name suppression while a league player loses his job for peeing in his own mouth, wasn't there some big black netballer who had naked pics of herself spread online? I hope she didn't lose her job

Squirrel, let me put this into some perspective for you

Had Carney been a 28 year old and with a totally clean sheet, this might be seen as an aberration, however, this is a "last straw" situation for him.

His indiscretions include

► Charged with drink driving and dangerous driving and convicted. Banned from driving for five years.

► The following year (driving a friend's car while still disqualified) refusing to stop for Police who were chasing him (with sirens and lights) through a residential suburb at high speeds. When he was forced to stop, he fled the scene on foot. He was subsequently charged with DWD & failing to stop and convicted. Banned from driving for another five years.

► A spate of incidents of alcohol abuse, and ignoring direct instructions that he was not to drink alcohol, the last of which led to the Canberra Raiders sacking him, and the NRL de-registering him

► A vandalism spree in a NSW rural town. He was charged and convicted. Given a 12 month suspended jail sentence.

► Injuring a person by setting fire to his clothes

► Despite being on an alcohol ban from his new club, the Sydney Roosters, he was charged with another drink-drive offence and convicted, narrowly avoiding jail time.

► Caught drinking with team-mates (who ought to have known better). After a third alcohol related indiscretion, NRL management stood him down indefinitely. He was effectively fired from the Roosters.

This is not an exhaustive list, and now this latest indiscretion has seen him sacked from his third club in seven years. He has received numerous counselling sessions, but they don't seem to have had much effect. He's kept getting away with his behaviour, and has had more second chances than he deserves (really, he should have gone to jail for the last driving offence.) He is a recidivist who is not making the necessary changes to deal with his problems, and is not accepting the help given him. He's banned from the UK due to his convictions, so he cannot get a work permit to play for the UK SuperLeague club.

In short, he has stuffed his own career up and is entirely the engineer of the situation he finds himself in now.

Last edited:
Carney is the definition of a grub. He was infamous in Canberra for getting blind drunk, fighting randoms and inappropriate behavior towards women. The Sharks gave him a lifeline and as an above poster pointed out, attached a tonne of behavior based caveats to his contract. This latest incident is hardly criminal behavior and were it most players, just a very embarrassing headache, but for Carney it is the last straw. From all reports he is done in the NRL.

The thing about this guy is he is crazy talented so my money is on a Super League team picking him up cheap next year.

yeah though apparently he would never get a working Visa for the UK because of his history.

he must have known that any type of off field stuff up would risk his whole carrier. Yet he allowed someone to take this picture... Which will in the end cost millions of dollars in lost income.

Seems such a simple thing but you have to be some kind of idiot to **** in your own mouth, let alone get photographed doing it. Really just proves what he is.

Makes you wonder what hes been up to that has not been accidentally/intentionally uploaded to the internet for all to see...

thought it was very harsh to sack him, he was stupid but hardly criminal

Have you actually seen what this guy has done? Read up a bit on him, H\have a look at his record mate, he is a criminal! Thats not to mention all the unofficial stuff he is alleged to have done as well.... Good riddance I reckon, he didnt even deserve his chance with the Sharks IMO.\

Ah... Smart cocky, well done, that is a pretty good summary of the stuff that is on record... Exactly what I was talking about....

I've never liked Todd carney, and I agree with cooky that he should have went to prison over his drink driving offences but having a photo taken of ******* in your own mouth his hardly news worthy and not worth losing your job and the public losing a good player in the nrl
The guy is a meathead like most footy players, but I wouldn't describe him as a criminal as ABs2011 does, the real crooks are on wall street

If photos of the CEO of a Fortune 500 leaked, of them doing the same action, I'd be surprised if they would keep the job. If your a public figure of a company, then your actions represent the company. Part of his $650,000 a year salary is being a bran ambassador for the Sharks. If they didn't fire him I'd be pretty disappointed.

French rugby beckons - the French public isn't really aware of the goings on in the NRL, and the TOP14 is quite a big pond.

If he can't get a work Visa for the UK, does that stop him playing at all here? As in, if he signed for Catalans (or a Top 14 side) would he be able to play away games here?

If he can't get a work Visa for the UK, does that stop him playing at all here? As in, if he signed for Catalans (or a Top 14 side) would he be able to play away games here?

I don't think he's allowed in the country full stop.

Latest posts