• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Soul Calibur 4

B

Bullitt

What do you all think you're playing at? Go purchase this superb <strike>advert for Star Wars: Force Unleashed</strike> 'game' before I come round your house and stamp on all your toys.

I do fancy it, shame I haven't got the cash for it...might invest in COD4 again as I traded it for GTA4 and that was a great big waste of time.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Goth Power @ Aug 7 2008, 08:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I do fancy it, shame I haven't got the cash for it...might invest in COD4 again as I traded it for GTA4 and that was a great big waste of time.[/b]
Gee I could have told you that GTA4 was all hype......well I went on trademe.co.nz and already there are people wanting to get rid of it after a couple of hours play...I mean what the hell!
The online play is very tempting so maybe I will find out for myself if it is a good game.

I haven't played GTA4 for a couple months I think the novelty has definately worn off but when I did all I did was play the online midnight club style races, was fun as!. Not sure I'll ever play it again now with Spore and LittleBigPlanet coming soon.

Still enjoy playing COD4 every now and then, it just doesn't get old, it's that good. Definately a keeper.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Goth Power @ Aug 7 2008, 08:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I do fancy it, shame I haven't got the cash for it...might invest in COD4 again as I traded it for GTA4 and that was a great big waste of time.[/b]

Ain't that the truth. I played the first 5 or so missions and got sick of chauffeuring people around so then I spent a week mindlessly lurking the streets Liberty City killing people. Just don't get what all the hype was about.

Anyway, traded GTA4 in for Beijing 2008. Now THAT is fun, could play hours on end sifting through from the archery green to the women's gymnastic floor routine to the 100m dash... it's all there.

Soul Caliber 4 looks pretty good, but Ninja Gaiden 2 intrigues me more at this stage so will probably get that next.

Well just hired this game due to the fact that Fifa 09 was out and......well...could have been a good game...great graphics etc....BUT

The blocking system in this game is heavily flawed which detroys the game.

It is too slow. The animation take ages to get out. By the time you press the guard button BEFORE the strike hits you it is too late. Herein brings the seond problem with blocking and definitely the biggest problem....guard is a button and not a direction, whilst parry is a direction and guard together...the problem here is that if you are moving around and then you see a strike coming you HAVE to press guard to block it...but because you are moving in a direction when you pushed guard your character will do a parry instead of guarding which 90% of the time ends up in your missing the parry and instead getting hit. You therefore cannot be moving at all as soon as the strike comes if you want to block. The only problem with that we are back with the first problem in that the animation comes out so slow changing from moving to standing still to blocking.

What they should have done was taken the DOA system where moving back was blocking and if pushing a button while moving back activated the parry (reversal)....Soul Calibur has it all back to front.

Another thing I do not like about the game is the amount of power they invest in the weaponry. You can't do a comeback if your health is too low because even blocking will not save you as the damage meter still goes down when a weapon is punding on your weapon.

The combos are not thought out properly as button mashing can bring out some unbelievable combos while precision playing seems a bit unresponsive. It should be the other way around like the Fight Night series. A precision strike should be made quick and easy while the combos should be complicated.

After playing this karate game on Commodore 64 in the early 80's I still have not found a Beta em Up that is the perfect game.

Well said, I agree with all the above. Yoda being broken dosent help either. For this kind of game to have lasting appeal the fighting really needs to be flawless, coz theres not much else to do.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CeeJay @ Oct 11 2008, 02:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
For this kind of game to have lasting appeal the fighting really needs to be flawless, coz theres not much else to do.[/b]
Yep the fighting is one big mess which is a shame as this franchise had huge potential when it started out as Soul Blade on PS1.

Latest posts