• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

South Africa A vs British and Irish Lions

I thought Daly played very well, I really rate him as a player and a person.

Was worried about Curry there for a minute looked like a serious injury, he brings a lot to the Lions in terms of locker room atmosphere.

The Springboks showed the same intensity as the Lions did against the Sharks. Physicality was as expected. Defended well especially with 13 at one point. Sharks lost one player to red card and the Lions quickly inflated the score, good to see the Bok players could keep up intensity even when down.

Hope PSdT is not concussed.

Missed the second half also because @Gronde van der Hogg and I were showing eachother what would happen if De Allende and Henshaw met in the bedroom but based on the first half and what I've read if SA are fit enough the Lions will be in trouble.

9 and centre are huge areas of concern, Price has looked the best 9 so far and he's a limited player. Henshaw will come in but likely having not played any rugby since Japan, not ideal at all, the next best option is limited or shockingly out of form whoever you choose. Gatland has further handicapped his team by leaving the best 10 at home and he likely will by bringing in AWJ after a four week break, recovery from injury and likely on some sort of painkiller. The series is SA's to lose.

So last thing to say is, Rassie, I don't like you and you don't like me but get this done for both of us.

Despite the loss, did they score anything that wasn't from a sloppy Lions move? Farrell's chased down kick was a try and the other was Daly's brain fart kick. Take out those two errors and the Bokks never even looked like scoring

Despite the loss, did they score anything that wasn't from a sloppy Lions move? Farrell's chased down kick was a try and the other was Daly's brain fart kick. Take out those two errors and the Bokks never even looked like scoring
Maybe, but can you really be 'error' free? Ever since i first watched the boks in 1993 they have successfully relied on opposition mistakes, focused on forcing them. Its not all theyve got, but its often enough.

Maybe, but can you really be 'error' free? Ever since i first watched the boks in 1993 they have successfully relied on opposition mistakes, focused on forcing them. Its not all theyve got, but its often enough.

When it comes to kicking, yes. Farrell didn't need to go for a chip over the top, there was an overlap. Daly didn't need to rush his kick and he could have ran to the line and gone through a few phases. Errors like poor passes, knock ons and bad discipline I accept will happen. Multiple brain farts, no. Cut out brain farts by being boring instead of being the hero all the time

When it comes to kicking, yes. Farrell didn't need to go for a chip over the top, there was an overlap. Daly didn't need to rush his kick and he could have ran to the line and gone through a few phases. Errors like poor passes, knock ons and bad discipline I accept will happen. Multiple brain farts, no. Cut out brain farts by being boring instead of being the hero all the time
Nah farrel doesnt do dumb kicks unless eddie forces him to.

The analysis paralysis started, always find it intriguing
The BI Lions misery has started, officially

I'm still trying wrap my head around why van Staden was carded. That was a perfectly legal steal. One of the worst cards I have seen since Bismark tackled Carter. The mauls were also very iffy. Need neutral refs for these games that's for damn sure. Also want Elstadt to bugger off he is just terrible.

Also look how good the Lions bench was vs ours. 6 2 split seems like it's the one.

Last edited:
I've got to admit I don't think Tom Curry has played to the standards he has set this year.... until last night where he was really good.
Not too fussed about the loss to be honest, it was good for the lions to experience the physical force that is SA, they were a bit taken aback in the first half really loosing that breakdown contest, They did improve later on though.
I did find it funny that the lions refused to show any moves in the SA 22, saving it all for the test matches.

With a Murray/Farrell/Aki 9/10/12 are they even capable of any moves?
Murray was a bit ponderous at times but I will defend Farrell a bit. He's not the most creative of 10s and when they have clearly been told they aren't allowed to run any backs moves he is always going to struggle to break down the defence.
Russel or even Smith would have been perfect fit, told to just got out have fun and try a few mad things.

Murray was a bit ponderous at times but I will defend Farrell a bit. He's not the most creative of 10s and when they have clearly been told they aren't allowed to run any backs moves he is always going to struggle to break down the defence.
Russel or even Smith would have been perfect fit, told to just got out have fun and try a few mad things.
Two coaches EJ & now Gatland have tried the "were holding him back line" in the past year and a half. I'm still going for the woefully out of form.

Two coaches EJ & now Gatland have tried the "were holding him back line" in the past year and a half. I'm still going for the woefully out of form.
An inform Farrell would have struggled with the game yesterday.
He's not the 10 to go jinking past defenders or throwing the miracle pass .
I must admit though some of his kick passes weren't great, I think that's why Biggar was starting originally as that's one of his strengths.

Latest posts