• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

South Africa A vs British and Irish Lions

One thing to consider is that Watson has played great against poor opposition, where as Curry played great against what was essentially the Boks. I know that's not Watson's fault and you can only play what's in front of you, but at the same time you can't put as much weight on a performance when the opposition isn't good enough to pose a real challenge.

It's almost a shame Curry played the full 80 last night because I'd be very interested in seeing what a Curry/Watson flank partnership looks like, but the only opportunity to trial it is in three days

It's almost a shame Curry played the full 80 last night because I'd be very interested in seeing what a Curry/Watson flank partnership looks like, but the only opportunity to trial it is in three days
Considering the 8s picked I'm not sure how you could balance that pack. If only that picked someone like Stander then the Lions could mix up the back row balance a bit.......

The Simmonds pick was a bit left field, (i know it's still early) but the gamble has not really seemed to work out yet.

If their was another trail game I honestly wouldn't mind seeing something like
6. Henderson
7. Watson
8. Curry

I wouldn't want that for the test team but would be interesting.

Considering the 8s picked I'm not sure how you could balance that pack. If only that picked someone like Stander then the Lions could mix up the back row balance a bit.......

The Simmonds pick was a bit left field, (i know it's still early) but the gamble has not really seemed to work out yet.
Yeah, I agree it'd be unbalanced, I'd just like to see it :p

I think the backrow is going to be quite unbalanced no matter who we pick, to be honest - not taking Stander was a big mistake and will probably lead to Lawes starting at 6 for the (theoretical) heavy carrying

Curry and Faletau had a good game for the Lions last night. Those are the guys they need to be on top of their game to have a chance next week.

Curry and Faletau had a good game for the Lions last night. Those are the guys they need to be on top of their game to have a chance next week.
Faletau was a mixed bag for me - carried really well but didn't really get stuck in in the nitty gritty
Just think with the backrowers we've picked there's no one there to do the unfashionable kind of work - that's why I would've taken Stander

It's why I think Lawes is close to a start (even if I'd never pick him in the backrow, myself)

Faletau was a mixed bag for me - carried really well but didn't really get stuck in in the nitty gritty
Just think with the backrowers we've picked there's no one there to do the unfashionable kind of work - that's why I would've taken Stander

It's why I think Lawes is close to a start (even if I'd never pick him in the backrow, myself)

Yeah, the backrow might be a bit one-dimensional.

I think that's what Gatland wants though. The 8's job is to fill the wider channels and the 8s selected certainly suggest that. Farrell Sr also implied Doris is on standby which would further back it up. It's also partyly why he picks the lock he does. Their size is more important as they're doing so much close in work. (Not that anyone who's actually watched Ryan should consider that a weakness soft his).

I think that's what Gatland wants though. The 8's job is to fill the wider channels and the 8s selected certainly suggest that. Farrell Sr also implied Doris is on standby which would further back it up. It's also partyly why he picks the lock he does. Their size is more important as they're doing so much close in work. (Not that anyone who's actually watched Ryan should consider that a weakness soft his).
Exactly this, the back row hasn't been picked to take SA on in the nitty gritty. It's been picked to play with width out wide.

If you want width why not play Curry, Watson and Conan. That's a very loose trio that would certainly push the wide channels.

Exactly this, the back row hasn't been picked to take SA on in the nitty gritty. It's been picked to play with width out wide.
But then who does the nitty gritty?
It's a very mobile pack, from 1-8 - yesterday showed what happens when you don't respect the raw power that the Boks bring to the table in the tight

If you want width why not play Curry, Watson and Conan. That's a very loose trio that would certainly push the wide channels.

He does still care about size a lot and is clearly terrified of the SA maul. Beirne is also very comfortable in the wider channels. He's the only backrower I'd say is guaranteed a spot at the moment. And clearly for Gatland's money he very much is a backrow, he's been pretty clear about that.

The first thing to play out wide is being able to win fast ruck ball. No point setting your team to play wide if all your ball is slow.

But then who does the nitty gritty?
It's a very mobile pack, from 1-8 - yesterday showed what happens when you don't respect the raw power that the Boks bring to the table in the tight
It's the 2nd rows plus Beirne helping out playing 6, who I think is a nailed on starter. That allows for the 2 other back rows to play with width.

The first thing to play out wide is being able to win fast ruck ball. No point setting your team to play wide if all your ball is slow.
Gatland knows how slow Murray is, so he doesn't need forwards to clear the ruck area quickly.

Also I ******* love Rassie. Such a dude.
Just watched replay,how come SA a weren't down to 12 5 mins into 2nd half? Same infringements as 2nd sinbin in 1st. Also,never seen the lineout policed so liberally (mainly on the SA a side.. Showing my age here,but as a kid watching Abs v SA in the late 60's,early 70's ( in black and white ) I reflected on how nice it must be to have SA refs in SA.

Latest posts