7-11 4th Test, The Oval

20 Twenty20 International, Riverside

22 1st ODI, Headingley (d/n)

26 2nd ODI, Trent Bridge (d/n)

29 3rd ODI, The Oval

31 4th ODI, Lord's

September

3 5th ODI, Cardiff (d/n)

England have gone with the same test squad that saw off New Zealand in the sereis earlier in the Summer so no Flintoff to face the Proteas although he has been named in a provisional squad for the champions trophy alongside Simon Jones.

As for the series ahead if it's anything as good as the last few series have been between these 2 sides then we should see plenty of decent cricket. It's definitely a step up in class for England but can they pull off a victory in this series???

cricky this week?

i am just glad we have this on sky over here, i do like to watch any game of cricket i can to annoy the flatmates :)

Three quick wickets for South Africa and all on the back of a poor decision on the first one with it pitching outside. Still though a quality delivery from that man Steyn to get rid of Vaughan. Time for Bell to step up to the mark, plenty of pressure on him given that Flintoff is hovering in the background as well.

England 117-3

Probably the best answer from KP considering all the controversy and hype about his on-off batting form and his relationship with South Africa. Annoyed that Bell has managed to effectively dodge the chop again. Even if he's out for a duck in the 2nd innings his place is now assured until 2010.

Someone has to make way for Flintoff though and its looking more and more like Paul Collingwood.

Probably the best answer from KP considering all the controversy and hype about his on-off batting form and his relationship with South Africa. Annoyed that Bell has managed to effectively dodge the chop again. Even if he's out for a duck in the 2nd innings his place is now assured until 2010.

Someone has to make way for Flintoff though and its looking more and more like Paul Collingwood.
[/b]

Well then here's hoping that Bell gets out cheaply and Collingwood goes on to make a century, that would certainly give the selectors a dilemma ahead of the next test or whenever Flintoff is really back in contention.

So Flintoff is back in the squad and will take his place in the side so who do reckon will make way if Sidebottom is fit, Collingwood or Bell. On form you'd go for Bell but I think Collingwood offers the side more with his bowling and fielding and he is too good a player not to score runs again.

Both Bell and Collingwood have been in poor form for a while now. Except for a couple of decent catches and a couple of hundreds, Bell hasn't really done much to warrant his selection since 2005. Collingwood however has been really really poor at both Test and One Day level.

The problem is that we have a very weak middle order. And its guys like Bell & Collingwood who have to carry the can for that. Period. End of story. Strauss and Cook do what they're meant to do: make somewhere between 30 and 70 runs and take the shine off of the ball. Its who comes in at 3, 4, 5 & 6 that matters and thats where our weakness always seems to lie.

Vaughn is a special case as its an established fact that nobody can be a test batsman AND England captain at the same time. Not in the last 20 years anyway.

Flintoff needs to come in for Collingwood. At least Bell is in some vague kind of form but if Petersen gets out cheaply, there is no strong arm batsman to act as the rock, the anchor. Flintoff needs to pair up well with Bell & Ambrose to perform just such a role.

So Collingwood is out as predicted, Flintoff back in, as predicted but where did Pattinson starting come from, I saw in the Pro 40 game against Essex and they were mentioning him as an England possibility but I still thought that was further in the future and certainly not this test match. Ballsy move but unfortunately for England they've lost the toss and it's cloudy at Headingly so obviously a bowl for South Africa.

They've got to bowl England out first, Mr Tarbh. And despite England's batting frailties, the level of South African preparation for these tests has been bordering on the criminal. All they've had for this test has been a session in the nets earlier this week. Nobody in South African Cricket seems to have thought of scheduling a few matches for them between tests.

I'm sure England will be glad again that they turned down the chance to use the referral system in this series, Billy Bowden strikes again with another poor decision, even the appeal seemed half hearted, not from Morkel though.

So very much South Africa's days with some controversy at Headingly on day 1 of this second test. De Villiers was just taking the **** claiming he took that catch, the call on Cook was a nonsense one again from Billy Bowden while Amla was fortunate to survive, still though if England can pick up some quick wickets in the morning we could have a more even test match than would have appeared to be the case once South Africa wrapped up the England innings. All depends on whether it's overcast in the morning.

Game over. 14:30 on day four and SA look to be set for a comfortable innings victory as England are currently 152 for 6. Flintoff and Ambrose are unlikely to put up much of a challange and Broad can only do so much. I have to say its kinda funny seeing this repeated collapse on what is a reasonably good surface.

Time for England to ring the changes. Cant see how Vaughan can be retained. Adding to that, why arent Harmison or Jones being picked? At least with those two and Flintoff you know your going to get some aggression from the bowlers, instead of the same ole medium paced rubbish being thrown in at the moment.

Pedestrian start at Edgbaston this morning, with far more excitement going on in the build-up to this test, Vaughan winning the toss for one was certainly a turn-up for the books, fitness test for Smith with Steyn already ruled out, the return of Nell and his mouth or should we call that Gunther or whatever he calls it himself and less exciting but some common sense from England in bringing Collingwood back, shifting Ambrose down to 8 and Sidebottom obviously returning.

By the way what's with the Wednesday start?

What a test match!Full of drama and everything,but in the end the Proteas won the match and the test series and thats all that matters :bana:

Finally for the first time since 1965 :huh: SA has won a test series in England :bravo: .And what a captain's innings by Greame Smith to lead his side to match and series win,154 not out with great support by AB de Villiers just to settle the innings after that top-order collapse and then Mark Boucher at the end just to steer SA to a win.

Can't wait for the ODI's to begin :cheers:

England's middle order leaving the bowlers too much to do (as usual). Superb stoicism by the South African batsmen however.

One interesting thing is that the match illustrated the tendency for both England and South Africa's bowling attacks to lose concentration for awfully long periods of time. At this moment in time, neither side has what it takes to give Australia a run for their money. However, both sides show promise with the likes or Anderson and Morkel impressing respectively.

If England don't start playing Simon Jones or Matthew Hoggard again in place of Ryan Sidebottom or Monty Panesar (sadly, you don't have to have a spinner for every game of cricket) then they're going to be in for some sustained pain next year..

I hope they try out a guy like Duminy in the next test. I think he's on the most talented batsman we've produced in ages and there's a reason he's the only saffa other than Kallis to average over 50 in FC cricket.
It's inevitable some batsman aren't going to perform in Aus. This is the ideal situation to blood a guy like Duminy and I don't think we'll lose any class in the middle order if he replaces someone. Only problem is who to rest...

Latest posts