• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

South Africa side for Lions tour

I

Incredible Schalk

As we have a thread for the Lions team thought i would make on for South Afirca's possible side. With Matfield likely to still be available along with Jon Smit the team may not be so different to the world champion side was in 2007.

1-
2-Smit
3-Van der Linde
4-Botha
5-Matfield
6-Burger ..Roussouw for the Cheetahs i reckon could be a Bok in coming years..
7-Smith
8-Spies
9-Pienaar ...Du Preez
10-Grant
11-Habana
12-Murray ..De Villiers,
13-Fourie
14-Chavanga ..Pietersen,
15-Steyn ..Jantjes, this guys a class act

Pretty conservative i know :unsure:

Thoughts?

Do you mean Heinrich Brussouw (for the Cheetahs)? Duane Vermeulen is going to be a star too. SA is a loose-forward factory at present. Watching some of the Varsity cup games on TV and even at that level the guys at 6,7 and 8 are phenomenal talents.

The loosehead will be one of BJ Botha, Guthro Steenkamp or Heinke van der Merwe.

Wah! Look at the depth of that possible Bok backline. Very exciting players pushing for the No. 12 & 13 jersey.

Fly half is worrying position though. Don't get me wrong, Grant is a good S14 flyhalf, he's not Bok quality yet. But what's more worrying is that he's the strongest contender next to Michalak in the SA teams. Potgieter has been showing some promise but I can't see him controlling the game at international level. Plus he's just too new, he needs more high pressure games at no. 10.

I wanna live in a world where I can see BJ Botha being subbed after a good day at the office, and Van Der Merwe (not you Nick :p) comes off the bent for him. And it could even be the other way around soon, but at the mo BJ Botha has proven himself more at international level.

Do you guys reckon Botes and Daniel (not as much) of the Sharks even have been considered as possible Boks in our size crazy country?
Another small loosie, in Luke Watson, has been pushing for a position as well.

Schalk Brits, Ryan Kankowski and Keegan Daniels Should get a chance. . .

Especially Schalk Brits!!!!!!!!

Do you mean Heinrich Brussouw (for the Cheetahs)? Duane Vermeulen is going to be a star too. SA is a loose-forward factory at present. Watching some of the Varsity cup games on TV and even at that level the guys at 6,7 and 8 are phenomenal talents.

The loosehead will be one of BJ Botha, Guthro Steenkamp or Heinke van der Merwe.
[/b]

Sorry yes Brussouw, he has been excellent for the Cheetahs every time ive watched them.

As Steve mentioned i dont understand why Luke Watson gets so much stick, hes a great no.8. Good in contact, turnover ball and has really good ball skills. I forgot about Kankowski although he will have a tough time getting the no.8 shirt with Spies fit again.

One of the main reasons why Watson doesn't get considered/picked as a Bok is, imo, that he doesn't add much impact in set pieces.

He is great in open play, has great anticipation and excellent position, in that facet of the game.

But in the scrum and line outs, he tends to get muscled out. Which makes him a one dimensional flanker in the minds of alot of Saffas, as history shows we like to use our flankers in line outs.

At 8th man we have excellent ball carriers in Kankowski and Spies, to name a few, who are tall as well. I can't see Watson breaking 4 or 5 English players' tackles like Spies did in 2007.

Things aren't looking good for the Watson fan club.

BTW I'm not a Luke Watson fan :p

But in the scrum and line outs, he tends to get muscled out. Which makes him a one dimensional flanker in the minds of alot of Saffas, as history shows we like to use our flankers in line outs.

At 8th man we have excellent ball carriers in Kankowski and Spies, to name a few, who are tall as well. I can't see Watson breaking 4 or 5 English players' tackles like Spies did in 2007.

BTW I'm not a Luke Watson fan :p [/b]

The ting is (I think) having lightweight/small loose forwards , you have to adapt your game plan. I think a regular SA team has enough beef to have ONE light guy in the pack if they wanted :lol:
. And actually that would also add variety in the SA game. Guys like Olivier Magne or Serge Betsen (amongst others) were not monsters but were very instrumental in a lot of French tries and defensive plays. Now I'm not saying L Watson compares to those :D
. Keegan Daniel looked ok though.

Actually, I think Watson has had some excellent games lately, hell in the Blues game he made what, something like 103 meters gained ?

With every break he made, he gained atleast 10 to 15 meters.

I'm not saying he's brilliant, but he's playing good rugby, I think he needs to get more credit, he had a bad season last year but players tend to do that, even the best of the best. I'd still have Spies or Kankowski over him at 8, and I think we've got better flankers at the moment as well.

I've never seen Steyn in at 10 starting a match, not to say that he never has, I'd just like to see how he fair at 10.
I think having him at 10 would create 3 strong midfield players, like having 3 centers almost but one who can put tactical kicks and drop goals from 50 meters in.

<div class='quotemain'> But what's more worrying is that he's the strongest contender next to Michalak in the SA teams.
[/b]

What do you mean ? :huh:
[/b][/quote]

It's worrying that the only other stand-out flyhalf in SA is French

i dunno what all this talk is about michalak being the in form flyhalf... in my opinion a certain flyhalf at the stormers is putting in an excellent show this season... yes, peter grant. give him a run... how will he mature on the highest level if he doesn't get a chance to play? i have a feeling that peter de villiers will go with grant for the welsh and take it from there.

i dunno what all this talk is about michalak being the in form flyhalf... in my opinion a certain flyhalf at the stormers is putting in an excellent show this season... yes, peter grant. give him a run... how will he mature on the highest level if he doesn't get a chance to play? i have a feeling that peter de villiers will go with grant for the welsh and take it from there. [/b]

At the time of writing the Stormers (and Grant) were non-existent, as was most of the other SA franchises.

My 30-man squad for the Lions tour(If the players will be fit to play)

1.CJ van der Linde 16.Schalk Brits
2.John Smit(captain) 17.Jannie du Plessis
3.BJ Botha 18.Johann Muller
4.Bakkies Botha 19.Ryan Kankowski
5.Victor Matfield 20.Ruan Pienaar
6.Schalk Burger 21.Peter Grant
7.Juan Smith 22.JP Pietersen
8.Pierre Spies 23.Bismarck du Plessis
9.Fourie du Preez 24.Beast Mtawarira/Brian Mujati
10.Butch James 25.Andries Bekker
11.Bryan Babana 26.Luke Watson/Dannie Rossouw
12.Jean de Villiers 27.Ricky Januarie
13.Jacques Fourie 28.Andre Pretorius
14.Tonderi Chavanga 29.Wynand Olivier
15.Frans Steyn 30.Conrad Jantjes

I think this is a great 30-man Squad and starting Line-up!

Good starting lineup ross, except I would have Kankowski at 8 and Percy at 15

No way Steyn gets #15 ahead of Jantjies...
I'd have Kanko at 8, Ricky Januarie at 9 unless it's for a wet pitch.

My 30-man squad for the Lions tour(If the players will be fit to play)

1.CJ van der Linde 16.Schalk Brits
2.John Smit(captain) 17.Jannie du Plessis
3.BJ Botha 18.Johann Muller
4.Bakkies Botha 19.Ryan Kankowski
5.Victor Matfield 20.Ruan Pienaar
6.Schalk Burger 21.Peter Grant
7.Juan Smith 22.JP Pietersen
8.Pierre Spies 23.Bismarck du Plessis
9.Fourie du Preez 24.Beast Mtawarira/Brian Mujati
10.Butch James 25.Andries Bekker
11.Bryan Babana 26.Luke Watson/Dannie Rossouw
12.Jean de Villiers 27.Ricky Januarie
13.Jacques Fourie 28.Andre Pretorius
14.Tonderi Chavanga 29.Wynand Olivier
15.Frans Steyn 30.Conrad Jantjes

I think this is a great 30-man Squad and starting Line-up!
[/b]

Would have to say I 100% agree.

Latest posts