TRF_stormer2010

TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
Stormers
Springbok squad:

Props:
Thomas du Toit (Cell C Sharks), Steven Kitshoff (DHL Stormers), Vincent Koch (Saracens), Frans Malherbe (DHL Stormers), Ntuthuko Mchunu (Cell C Sharks) *, Ox Nche (Cell C Sharks), Trevor Nyakane (Racing 92).

Hookers: Joseph Dweba (Bordeaux), Malcolm Marx (Kubota Spears), Bongi Mbonambi (Cell C Sharks).

Locks: Lood de Jager (Sale Sharks), Eben Etzebeth (Toulon), Salmaan Moerat (DHL Stormers) *, Ruan Nortje (Vodacom Bulls) *, Marvin Orie (DHL Stormers).

Loose forwards: Pieter-Steph du Toit (Toyota Verblitz), Marcell Coetzee (Vodacom Bulls), Siya Kolisi (Cell C Sharks), Elrigh Louw (Vodacom Bulls) *, Evan Roos (DHL Stormers) *, Kwagga Smith (Yamaha Júbilo), Jasper Wiese (Leicester Tigers).

Utility forwards: Rynhardt Elstadt (Toulouse), Deon Fourie (DHL Stormers) *, Franco Mostert (Honda Heat).

Scrumhalves: Faf de Klerk (Sale Sharks), Jaden Hendrikse (Cell C Sharks), Herschel Jantjies (DHL Stormers), Cobus Reinach (Montpellier), Grant Williams (Cell C Sharks) *.

Flyhalves: Elton Jantjies (NTT Docomo Red Hurricanes), Handre Pollard (Montpellier).

Centres: Lukhanyo Am (Cell C Sharks), Damian de Allende (Munster), Andre Esterhuizen (Harlequins), Jesse Kriel (Canon Eagles).

Outside Backs: Aphelele Fassi (Cell C Sharks), Warrick Gelant (DHL Stormers), Cheslin Kolbe (Toulon), Willie le Roux (Toyota Verblitz), Makazole Mapimpi (Cell C Sharks).

Utility Backs: Kurt-Lee Arendse (Vodacom Bulls) *, Damian Willemse (DHL Stormers).

With the Stormers and Bulls still to play an URC final this has taken a bit of a back seat but at least ITO the Roos v Louw debate that final has bearing on this dicussion. What are people hoping to see. I am glad for some new faces. Perfect opportunity to get some new blood.. blooded. We have been hyper conservative and have placed too much impetus on the B&I series and maintaining the WR#1 ranking IMO and that might come back to haunt us next year if we don't grab this chance.

My hopes for a 1st test matchday 23:
1 Nche
2 Marx
3 Nyakane (if fit and if only to get him back to his best)
4 Etzebeth
5 Nortje (form lock)
6 PSDT
7 Coetzee
8 Roos
9 Hendrickse
10 Pollard (even if only just to see what he has at this stage- not sure who we have that would make part of a discussion around best in position in the world ATM apart from him and then barely so)
11 Fassi (for the exposure)
12 De Allende (very tempted to go with Willemse here particularly as I can imagine that him here and Gelant at 15 could compensate for Pollard at 10 ITO attack on transitional play- she should expect ball from turn overs and line out steals IMO)
13 Am
14 Kolbe
15 Gelant

Kitshoff, Malherbe, Dweba (give Mbonambi a rest), De Jager, Louw, Kolisi, Williams, Willemse

So pleased for Roos - he deserves it. When talking 8 for the long-term, I guess it'll also come down to who can marshall the defensive line more effectively as Duane has been so good at doing over the years.

Love Gelant to start but I've seen no real indication that Nienaber's hyper-conservative attitude is going to relax and expect to see Willie. I think the only way we'll see a decent blooding rather than a cursory 10 mins will be comprehensive victories in the first two tests. I hope I'm wrong and it is good to see some variety on the sheet.

I expect to see all the usual suspects including De Jager (regardless of form) and maybe even Wiese or Kwagga at 8 just because they've been around the set-up for longer. Wouldn't be surprised - just dismayed.

Latest posts