• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

South Africa threatens to quit Super 14

Cant wait to watch Sanyo Wild Knights vs The Crusaders or Yamaha Jubilo vs Brumbies dam those 100-0 pastings will push up the television ratings in OZ & NZ and secure a much larger broadcasting rights deal for the ARU & NZRU.

Yeah screw match ups against Stormers, Sharks or the Bulls according to you guys that seems a right old bore. If you boys look close at union in OZ and to a much lesser extent in NZ they are fighting a very long and hard battle against other sporting codes. Telling the Saffa's you don't need them is a bit strange or maybe it is just your dislike of Saffa's :D because it cant be based on a sound reason for union's future in your neck of the woods.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TheBokke @ Feb 18 2009, 04:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Cant wait to watch Sanyo Wild Knights vs The Crusaders or Yamaha Jubilo vs Brumbies dam those 100-0 pastings will push up the television ratings in OZ & NZ and secure a much larger broadcasting rights deal for the ARU & NZRU.

Yeah screw match ups against Stormers, Sharks or the Bulls according to you guys that seems a right old bore. If you boys look close at union in OZ and to a much lesser extent in NZ they are fighting a very long and hard battle against other sporting codes. Telling the Saffa's you don't need them is a bit strange or maybe it is just your dislike of Saffa's :D because it cant be based on a sound reason for union's future in your neck of the woods.[/b]

Let me address your comment point by point Bokke, because one again it is a post which skews my point of view into something different than what I've said.

"Cant wait to watch Sanyo Wild Knights vs The Crusaders or Yamaha Jubilo vs Brumbies dam those 100-0 pastings will push up the television ratings in OZ & NZ and secure a much larger broadcasting rights deal for the ARU & NZRU."

I never suggested a side like that at all. I would imagine for a start that the current rules for the Super 14 don't allow naming rights to a side's sponsor in the teams ***le. The Japanese national teams isn't called the Hyundai Japan team around the rest of the world are they?

Onto 100-0 pastings. That sounds like taking a point of view to it's extreme to prove a point, another popular arguing technique. I would imagine that a side with 8-10 locals in it and 5-7 purchases would be how things would start. If they were losing, it'd be more like the Western force in it's debut year, won one, drew 2 and lost 10. I'd imagine that they'd all improve, unless you believe that Japanese lack the ability to even improve?

"Yeah screw match ups against Stormers, Sharks or the Bulls according to you guys that seems a right old bore. If you boys look close at union in OZ and to a much lesser extent in NZ they are fighting a very long and hard battle against other sporting codes. Telling the Saffa's you don't need them is a bit strange or maybe it is just your dislike of Saffa's :D because it cant be based on a sound reason for union's future in your neck of the woods."

I never said that the matches against the South African sides are a bore at all. You made that up. Yes, Australia is fighting a battle against other sporting codes in it's backyard. South Africa is not doing anything much about that, neither is NZ, it's Australia's domestic problem. Also, in NZ we are not facing a player crisis any more than any other country. A greater number of sports is a problem world-wide.

Telling Saffa's we don't need them is a bit strange? It seems to me that this whole article is about South African officials secretly saying they don't need us. Still, Rugby was here before South Africa and it won't fall down without them. There'd be some short term hurt, yes, but once other teams that were brought in got better, the Super 10 would still maintain a strong viewership and offer less burnout for our players.

Also, saying that I can't have any sound reason which shows concern for unions future in my neck of the woods? All I have done, is make reference to the main article, which clearly shows travel to and from South Africa by all teams, takes $8 million dollars of an $11 million dollar travel budget and that South Africa are possibly trying to hold a financial gun to our heads anyway by demanding 45% of the overall profit. Especially since the nation in question has only been able to win one Super 12/14 ***le in thirteen years, how's that worth the lions share of finance? So yeah, mate, if thats how it is, I bloody well do have some sound reason.

Now this is where I have a real problem with your comment Bokke. "or maybe it is just your dislike of Saffa's :D ". Joking or not, please don't suggest that I have anything against either a race or nationality. If thats a way to try to mildly suggest anything like that, it's not on at all. I have nothing but respect for South Africans, I know one socially here too and he's a great guy, a Swanepoel. Helluva competitor too.

Did you or anyone else notice how much my viewpoint was twisted by yourself in that post? Look how long it's taken to respond to it all! I'm sure all I've said this time will also be twisted some other way next.

Allow me to interrupt...

http://www.keo.co.za/2009/02/17/saru-denies-s14-snub/

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Saru denies S14 snub

Andy Marinos has denied that South African rugby plans on leaving the Super 14 to join the Magners League in Europe.

The Sanzar broadcast agreement ends in 2010 and The Australian reported that Saru was looking at other options.

Marinos, acting MD of Saru, has firmly denied this.

"There is not a jot of truth in this speculation and we wouldn't normally even bother responding to such a story," said Marinos. "But as it has now grown via the internet from speculation from one source in Australasia to a real possibility in websites across Europe we thought rugby supporters would like the record put straight.

"So let me put it quite plainly: we have had no informal or formal discussions with the Magners League – or any European-based leagues for that matter – about deserting our Sanzar partners and playing in a northern hemisphere-based tournament. And nor do we have any plans to hold such discussions," he said.

Logistically the move would be impossible as the northern and southern hemisphere seasons don't overlap, while Marinos stressed it would also be a drop in the standard of rugby.

"We remain committed to Sanzar and are taking a full part in discussions looking at the possible expansion of the tournament – a desire we share with our Australian and New Zealand partners. Sanzar's tournaments are vibrant, hugely popular with our supporters of the very highest rugby quality and remain central to our forward planning."[/b]

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Steve-o @ Feb 18 2009, 09:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Allow me to interrupt...

http://www.keo.co.za/2009/02/17/saru-denies-s14-snub/

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
Saru denies S14 snub

Andy Marinos has denied that South African rugby plans on leaving the Super 14 to join the Magners League in Europe.

The Sanzar broadcast agreement ends in 2010 and The Australian reported that Saru was looking at other options.

Marinos, acting MD of Saru, has firmly denied this.

“There is not a jot of truth in this speculation and we wouldn’t normally even bother responding to such a story,†said Marinos. “But as it has now grown via the internet from speculation from one source in Australasia to a real possibility in websites across Europe we thought rugby supporters would like the record put straight.

“So let me put it quite plainly: we have had no informal or formal discussions with the Magners League â€" or any European-based leagues for that matter â€" about deserting our Sanzar partners and playing in a northern hemisphere-based tournament. And nor do we have any plans to hold such discussions,†he said.

Logistically the move would be impossible as the northern and southern hemisphere seasons don’t overlap, while Marinos stressed it would also be a drop in the standard of rugby.

“We remain committed to Sanzar and are taking a full part in discussions looking at the possible expansion of the tournament â€" a desire we share with our Australian and New Zealand partners. Sanzar’s tournaments are vibrant, hugely popular with our supporters of the very highest rugby quality and remain central to our forward planning.â€[/b]
[/b][/quote]

Good point, lol. The original post stated this as a rumour, but I think (well I hope) most of us were going down the "what if" route with this one.

My ultimate take on this is that South Africa need us as much as we need them really. :)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (C A Iversen @ Feb 18 2009, 12:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
My ultimate take on this is that South Africa need us as much as we need them really. :)[/b]

Well South African rugby is pretty secure at the moment. We're looking at possibly opening another franchise (The Spears) down in the Eastern Cape and the Currie Cup just about always sell out during the play offs. Local games sell more tickets than games against our Australasian brethren as well.

So we doing OK.

SARU is very happy with the S14 and TN so there is no need for this stirring of relations between us SANZAR guys. SARU is very lucky that SA rugby is the 3rd highest demanded brand of rugby in the world and as the stats show, provide the most revenue out of the SANZAR unions. So they can swing their weight around if need be. We can play that card if we need to, and as a business (they're a Pty Ltd registered company after all) that is benefitcial and a position to be envied.
SA is also situated well geographical so our rugby "product" is easily assessble. As they say in business: Location, location, LOCATION.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Steve-o @ Feb 18 2009, 12:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (C A Iversen @ Feb 18 2009, 12:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My ultimate take on this is that South Africa need us as much as we need them really. :)[/b]

Well South African rugby is pretty secure at the moment. We're looking at possibly opening another franchise (The Spears) down in the Eastern Cape and the Currie Cup just about always sell out during the play offs. Local games sell more tickets than games against our Australasian brethren as well.

So we doing OK.

SARU is very happy with the S14 and TN so there is no need for this stirring of relations between us SANZAR guys. SARU is very lucky that SA rugby is the 3rd highest demanded brand of rugby in the world and as the stats show, provide the most revenue out of the SANZAR unions. So they can swing their weight around if need be. We can play that card if we need to, and as a business (they're a Pty Ltd registered company after all) that is benefitcial and a position to be envied.
SA is also situated well geographical so our rugby "product" is easily assessble. As they say in business: Location, location, LOCATION.
[/b][/quote]

Yeah, New Zealand, South Africa and Australia are all equally very important.

:D <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (C A Iversen @ Feb 18 2009, 07:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TheBokke @ Feb 18 2009, 04:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah screw match ups against Stormers, Sharks or the Bulls according to you guys that seems a right old bore. If you boys look close at union in OZ and to a much lesser extent in NZ they are fighting a very long and hard battle against other sporting codes. Telling the Saffa's you don't need them is a bit strange or maybe it is just your dislike of Saffa's :D because it cant be based on a sound reason for union's future in your neck of the woods.[/b]

Let me address your comment point by point Bokke, because one again it is a post which skews my point of view into something different than what I've said.

"Cant wait to watch Sanyo Wild Knights vs The Crusaders or Yamaha Jubilo vs Brumbies dam those 100-0 pastings will push up the television ratings in OZ & NZ and secure a much larger broadcasting rights deal for the ARU & NZRU."

I never suggested a side like that at all. I would imagine for a start that the current rules for the Super 14 don't allow naming rights to a side's sponsor in the teams ***le. The Japanese national teams isn't called the Hyundai Japan team around the rest of the world are they?

Onto 100-0 pastings. That sounds like taking a point of view to it's extreme to prove a point, another popular arguing technique. I would imagine that a side with 8-10 locals in it and 5-7 purchases would be how things would start. If they were losing, it'd be more like the Western force in it's debut year, won one, drew 2 and lost 10. I'd imagine that they'd all improve, unless you believe that Japanese lack the ability to even improve?

"Yeah screw match ups against Stormers, Sharks or the Bulls according to you guys that seems a right old bore. If you boys look close at union in OZ and to a much lesser extent in NZ they are fighting a very long and hard battle against other sporting codes. Telling the Saffa's you don't need them is a bit strange or maybe it is just your dislike of Saffa's :D because it cant be based on a sound reason for union's future in your neck of the woods."

I never said that the matches against the South African sides are a bore at all. You made that up. Yes, Australia is fighting a battle against other sporting codes in it's backyard. South Africa is not doing anything much about that, neither is NZ, it's Australia's domestic problem. Also, in NZ we are not facing a player crisis any more than any other country. A greater number of sports is a problem world-wide.

Telling Saffa's we don't need them is a bit strange? It seems to me that this whole article is about South African officials secretly saying they don't need us. Still, Rugby was here before South Africa and it won't fall down without them. There'd be some short term hurt, yes, but once other teams that were brought in got better, the Super 10 would still maintain a strong viewership and offer less burnout for our players.

Also, saying that I can't have any sound reason which shows concern for unions future in my neck of the woods? All I have done, is make reference to the main article, which clearly shows travel to and from South Africa by all teams, takes $8 million dollars of an $11 million dollar travel budget and that South Africa are possibly trying to hold a financial gun to our heads anyway by demanding 45% of the overall profit. Especially since the nation in question has only been able to win one Super 12/14 ***le in thirteen years, how's that worth the lions share of finance? So yeah, mate, if thats how it is, I bloody well do have some sound reason.

Now this is where I have a real problem with your comment Bokke. "or maybe it is just your dislike of Saffa's :D ". Joking or not, please don't suggest that I have anything against either a race or nationality. If thats a way to try to mildly suggest anything like that, it's not on at all. I have nothing but respect for South Africans, I know one socially here too and he's a great guy, a Swanepoel. Helluva competitor too.

Did you or anyone else notice how much my viewpoint was twisted by yourself in that post? Look how long it's taken to respond to it all! I'm sure all I've said this time will also be twisted some other way next.
[/b][/quote]

Chill out big guy you are taking this far to personally :lol: the dislike of Saffas was just fishing and I am loving the fish today bites everywhere.

You mind if I enter some of your pieces Pulitzer prize :lol:

It's an interesting story but I think it's just being used by the SARU as a way of strengthening their hand before the Super 14 TV deals come up for renewel.

However, assuming for a minute that there's some truth to this, I doubt it would work. There'd be far too many teams in the revamped ML and money spinning local derbies would be halved. For example, would Leinster want to give up a home game against Munster every other season? If the SARU want to align themselves with the European season, there may be another way to do it though. That would be for the Heineken Cup is expanded to a 32 team, 8 group competition with the 5 SA Super 14 franchises joining the slightly modified tournament which also has extra English and French representation. Such a plan wouldn't scupper Italian efforts to join the Magners League.

Latest posts