• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

South Africa vs Argentina (Nelson Mandela 90th birthday tribute match)

S

Steve-o

http://www.sarugby.com/news/News/article/sid=9717.html

SPRINGBOK XV:

15. Conrad Jantjes

14. JP Pietersen

13. Adrian Jacobs

12. Jean de Villiers

11. Jongi Nokwe

10. Butch James

9. Enrico Januarie

8. Pierre Spies

7. Juan Smith

6. Luke Watson

5. Victor Matfield (captain)

4. Bakkies Botha

3. CJ van der Linde

2. Bismarck du Plessis

1. Tendai Mtawarira

RESERVES:

16. Adriaan Strauss

17. Brian Mujati

18. Andries Bekker

19. Joe van Niekerk

20. Fourie du Preez

21. Jaque Fourie

22. Percy Montgomery

DEBUT FOR NOKWE:

Vodacom Free State Cheetahs wing Jongi Nokwe will make his debut for the Springboks on Saturday against Argentina in the Mandela Challenge match at Coca-Cola Park in Johannesburg.

The Cheetahs speedster was today named in the Springbok starting line-up for the much anticipated clash against the Pumas. Centre Jaque Fourie and scrumhalf Fourie du Preez were included as replacements for the rematch of October’s Rugby World Cup semi-final. Both joined the Springbok squad again after lengthy lay-offs due to injury.

Also included on the bench are the number eight Joe van Niekerk and veteran fullback Percy Montgomery. Van Niekerk will earn his 50th Test cap if used as a substitute while Montgomery will feature in his 99th Test for South Africa should he also enter the action from the bench.

Bryan Habana and Schalk Burger - who have been under an injury cloud since Perth - are both omitted from the squad. Luke Watson will start on the flank in place of Burger. [/b]

Nokwe was in extended 46 man squad in the beginning of the SH International season, but was excluded when it got cut down to 30. He really has used that motivation to carry his S14 form into the CC and get a deserved Bok call up imo. He is also definitely one of quickest players and best finishers in SA, no doubt. HOWEVER (isn't there always one of those) his defence is pretty suspect, although I think it's better than Chavhanga's defence, just. His got a big boot on him and has a physical presence about him (183cm & 85kg). I'm pretty excited to see him get a run at International level, our winger stocks are not looking good (as always) so I think giving more wingers like Nokwe a chance is well worth it. He was the top SA try scorer in the S14 this year so he has shown he's got what it takes at a high level.

Also great to see Du Preez & Fourie back in the fold!

Post all news concerning both teams here..

Hey, Mr. former terrorist/President/Savior/Hero/Pensioner what would you like for your 90th? (The new 21) Oh gee, i dunno, um, how about an honorary rugby match between South Africa and someone else? <_<

Politics aside, we should win pretty comfortably, and i hope Nokwe does well. Seeing as Chavhanga is always hurt or ignored, we need another solid winger. :angry:

Nokwe is definitely a better call up then JP or Ndungane at this point, some people fold under the pressure of test match rugby though, but would like to see him go out there and perform.

I would have used this time to maybe test Chavanga out again, but I'm not sure if he's still injured or not.

Surely we should win this one though, we're basically giving all our top players a rest (either because they need it or because they're all bloody injured) but even so I think we should take it. I notice the Argies are sending a very strong side with about 9 or so players from the world cup left, which is impressive.

Considering Argentina have had trouble putting away Scotland and Italy of all sides, my money would be on the World Champs to notch up another win against Los Pumas.

B team or no B team.

South Africa should win easily but I'd like to see Argentina put up a good fight. Wonder how many Puma's players are going to be realised from pre-season training, or want to play if they are on holiday.

Argentina team for SA:
Team: 15-Bernardo Stortoni, 14-Jose Maria Nunez Piossek, 13-Federico Martin Aramburu, 12-Miguel Avramovic, 11-Horacio Agulla, 10-Felipe Contepomi (captain), 9-Nicolas Vergallo, 8-Juan Manuel Leguizamon, 7-Juan Martin Fernandez Lobbe, 6-Martin Durand, 5-Patricio Albacete, 4-Rimas Alvarez, 3-Pedro Ledesma, 2-Mario Ledesma, 1-Rodrigo Roncero

Replacements: 16-Alberto Vernet Basualdo, 17-Marcos Ayerza, 18-Esteban Lozada, 19-Alvaro Galindo, 20-Alfredo Lalanne, 21-Benjamin Urdapilleta, 22-Rafael Carballo.

fairly strong team all things considered will be interested to see how vergallo does at 9 as pichots replacement. it should be very tight in the pack any if contepomi sparks it could go either way..you never know

SA by 12

With that front row I'm sure Argentina will give us good game. Don't know much about the backline though, after Contepomi of course. Is there anybody we should keep our eye on?

well Stortoni is glasgow's fullback nothing special really
Piossek is argentina's leading try scorer, but nine of those were against paraguay ..hah
Avramovic is at mountbaton in the T14
Aramburu is with Perpignan atm but used to play for biarritz
and agulla has just turned pro signing with US Dax
so they can play anyways they wont be as good as hernandez or corleto but they will be formidable

Stortoni is a pretty useful player i'd say, flawless under the high ball and makes quite a few breaks. A very attacking minded player whilst playing for Glasgow anyway.

A game to show just how far away Argentina are from the side that won the 3rd place play-off in Paris...

Well they have a kick to go 9-0 in front, Botha acting like a thug as usual and to many 50-50 passes. The Pumas are playing very well..

Whats the picture quality like of those who are watching it in Britain? mines is shocking..jumpy :(

I haven't really been watching it, but the picture is perfect right now...

SA 0 - 9 ARG...well, they're certainly proving me wrong! Go go Los Pumas! :cheers:

14-9 at half time, two superb tries. One individual effort by Nokwe and a superb Jean De Villiers break set up Jacobs for his second test try. That was more like it in the final 10 minutes. The Boks are absoloutely owning the scrum, they are wheeling the Pumas virtually every scrum and edging forward on their own.

28 - 9 now. I guess I was right about them....sadly.
Uh, as I post that, Fourie Du Preez scores.. 35 - 9.

Van Niekerk scores his second try and du Plessis scores one now aswell that brings up the Boks 50.
Score is now 56 - 9

Shame the Pumas collapsed after that first SA try, we had a decent game for 30 mins.

Sadly i think thats the end of the Pumas chances of getting into the tri nations for the moment. Its so competitive so there isnt much point in bringing in whipping boys.

Some absoloutely beutiful moves by the Boks, first time i can really say they attacked like the All Blacks. I think PDV should keep Bekker instead of Botha, he was superb when he came on.

Nokwe had a really nice debut scoring a "flashy" try,sad to see Jaque Fourie leaving the field with a fractured cheek bone.

The Boks played well(but only after 30min!),they are really going to have to lift their game for next week's test against the All Blacks.

Maybe with Habana and Burger returning they be up to it to beat New Zealand

Sadly i think thats the end of the Pumas chances of getting into the tri nations for the moment. Its so competitive so there isnt much point in bringing in whipping boys. [/b]

I certainly don't think so.

Sure we thumped them by the largest scoreline ever against an Argentine team, but they are rebuilding at the moment, this was also their first ELV game. It's not that long ago that the Springboks lost to Australia 49-0, we've gone on to win the world cup after that.

Anyway, on to the game.

The first 30 minutes I was absolutely confused as to why we were playing so loose, a lot of weird kicks and silly mistakes all over the park, but after that first try they started getting it all together and finally had a game with the sort of running rugby De Villiers was talking about for so long now.

I still can't believe we won 63 - 9 after not even being on the scoreboard 30 minutes in.

Oh yes I have one more thing to add.

WHY JAQUE FOURIE ?

WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY !?

:(

<div class='quotemain'> Sadly i think thats the end of the Pumas chances of getting into the tri nations for the moment. Its so competitive so there isnt much point in bringing in whipping boys. [/b]

I certainly don't think so.

Sure we thumped them by the largest scoreline ever against an Argentine team, but they are rebuilding at the moment, this was also their first ELV game. It's not that long ago that the Springboks lost to Australia 49-0, we've gone on to win the world cup after that. [/b][/quote]

I agree, keep in mind that this is the end of what has been an exhausting and bruising season for Argentina. To acheive so much with such little downtime is absolutely incredible for these guys. Any inclusion in the Tri-Nations must go hand in hand with a deal with the French & English clubs.

Latest posts