• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

South Africa vs Argentina (Nelson Mandela 90th birthday tribute match)

Yes but Argentina have now lost 3 games in a row, two at home to Scotland and Italy. Of course the more competitive rugby they get the better but if they join the tri nations they will just be imbarassed like today. Best join the 6 nations if possible.

Yes but Argentina have now lost 3 games in a row, two at home to Scotland and Italy. Of course the more competitive rugby they get the better but if they join the tri nations they will just be imbarassed like today. Best join the 6 nations if possible.
[/b]
They lost to both Scotland and Italy at home. In their current state, what makes you think they'll beat them if they had an adopted home ground in, Spain say?

I never said they did, although with their best players back they should be about midtable in the 6 nations i feel.

FARK!!! I wrote this long review of the game and Eskom started its crap again. *sigh*

Anyway quick review. Players that impressed: Watson, James, Du Preez (his passing is miles better than Januaries), Jacobs and Nokwe.

In the 1st 30 mins we played the EXACT same game plan we used against NZ in the 1st Test and the 1st Oz Test. Only commiting 2 players to the ruck, we ran out of our 22 more than we kicked it and when we kick it we don't kick it out (it almost seems on purpose). It's obvious to me PdV is trying (but failing) to push this expansive game plan every game or so, but it always becomes this mush of 50-50 passes and poor support play.

In the 1st 30 mins I was sitting there wondering WTF is our game plan. Luckily somebody gave them a 'snotklap' whilst 0-9 down and they started playing structured rugby, and they put 63 unanswered points against the Argies (surprise surprise). PLEASE PdV give this helter skelter gameplan a rest, if it ain't gonna work against an average Argentina, it'll never work. It was nice seeing some quick hands BUT there really has to be a balance between structured play and running rugby

Nokwe was having a good debut before he got taken off (why I don't know, I can't predict PdV at all), his running is really slick, it's nice to have him in the setup.

I agree with Incredible Schalk about the Argies in the TN. Whilst most of their players play in Europe and there is no international season, it's a definite no go. The Boks could of put 80 points on them today.

I don't know about you guys, but today I saw some -brilliant- running rugby, exactly what PdV has been harping on about for ages, I'm sure what Pieter had been trying to do from the start was not take away any structure, but play more of an open attacking game instead of grinding over the line time and again, much like the All blacks do.

Today we didn't score a single try by bashing people to hell for 15 phases and finally dotting the ball down right on the line whilst being covered by 10 other bodies.

And don't get me wrong there's nothing wrong with that, I just think it's nice that we can score these brilliant team tries as well.

I'd also like to add that whilst I don't agree that this game showed us that they are not ready to join the Tri Nations, I -do- agree that they absolutely -have- to develop a professional rugby competition in their own country, it would instantly solve just about all of their problems, they'd have the same season as us and they would -finally- be able to play more than 6 tests per year (being part of the tri nations).

Argentina were ambushed to some extent, and they were missing a LOT of players from their RWC2007 campaign, through retirement, injury or non-release by their European clubs.

This result was not truly indicative of the releative strengths of the sides, but it does indicate the lack of depth in Argentina rugby once you get beyond the best 25 or so players. Depth comes with time in top level competition, something that Argentina just does not get. Put them into Tri-Nations at the earliest possible time, with guaranteed player availability, and it won't be long before they are competitive.

A thrashing does not mean that you team doesn't deserve to be in this competititon;

23.08.1997.... South Africa 61 - Australia 22 - two years later Australia wins RWC
15.06.2006.... Australia 49 - South Africa 0 - one year later South Africa wins RWC

Fatigue has more to do with this than non-release. Its now August, the clubs have absolutely no business telling players who they can and cannot play for at this time of the year as there is absolutely no rugby going on.

On the other hand, there is a reason for this: its meant to the the players rest season.

Obviously though, when they only play 12 games a season according to some recent figures I've read, they shouldn't whinge :p

Good to see Wayne Barnes is continuing his habit of stuffing up seemingly every test he is appointed to.

Shame Paddy hasn't appointed his love child for a test in New Zealand though.

Barnes!!

How many penalties were there??? I thought alot of those offences were supposed to be free kicks.

I only watched half of the match, once the contest was lost but it did not look like an ELV's rugby purely down to the way Barnes refs the game.

You would think none of the players had ever played a game of rugby with the way Barnes talks through the game telling them how to play. Geez you dont even need a commentator when he is reffing.

I know Im a Kiwi, so by birth right I have to hate him, but he is so farkin annoying as well!

Barnes!!

How many penalties were there??? I thought alot of those offences were supposed to be free kicks.

I only watched half of the match, once the contest was lost but it did not look like an ELV's rugby purely down to the way Barnes refs the game.

[/b]
The ELVs used in this Test are the Global ELVs that were implemented on the 1 August. The free kick sanction for infringements is not in this set, the NH had the final say and they did not want that ELV.

The ELVs used in this Test are the Global ELVs that were implemented on the 1 August. The free kick sanction for infringements is not in this set, the NH had the final say and they did not want that ELV.
[/b]

Gutless wankers!!!

Result is unfortunate for Arg.. seems like the 6 nations should be where Arg make their mark in the future...

Latest posts