• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

South Africa vs British and Irish Lions - Test 2

I'm worried that Beirne is covering 4 positions. Any early or late injury between 4-7 would put pressure on the Lions pack.
I think the pressure is eased a bit by the fact that Faletau is also very capable of covering 6 (it's where he's played pretty much the entirety of his season at Bath) which means that if Beirne has to come on at lock there is still ample 6 cover (it also frees up Lawes to cover lock in the unlikely situation that both Itoje and AWJ go down). The lack of any real 7 cover is a concern though.

Happy with that SA team. I prefer Kitshoff and Malherbe starting. Not that Nche and Nyakane did anything wrong, quite the opposite. Its just that those two are the more dynamic props and offer more off the bench than Malherbe in particular... it just looks better on paper you know and it is more in line with how those players have been used to date (and where we actually got results).

Smith dropping for Wiese I like.

6/2 split I like as it'd mean that Kolisi can come off no worries. H Jantjies and Willemse the correct call on the bench for me as well. In and of themselves they cover the entire backline.

Actually, Everything I was hoping for in that announcement apart from the one where I was wondering if it might not be a bad shout to call on Fassi. Happy I am. Now if we could only get the actual result..

Daly got knocked backwards loads in the tackle, and missed his once chance with the boot. Not sure why you would keep him there. Most people thought he would get replaced. Price was ineffective also. Watson should have been binned and maybe he just doesn't want a liability. Don't always need to hop on the anti Gats bandwagon because it's coo
Daly did struggle physically and conceded 2 pens one of which I think was actually a pretty good turn over, what frustrates me slightly is that Henshaw was sat down miles behind the gainline on at-least one occasion maybe more, made a pretty solid line break which he later butchered and the offload actually looked to be on, add to this Williams dropped more high balls than successfully took from what I could see, I do think the extra physicality of Harris is a welcome one, just disagree with highlighting a players every mistake yet missing others out completely, Bigger missed a far easier kick than Daly's, yet seen little mention of that here.

I think the pressure is eased a bit by the fact that Faletau is also very capable of covering 6 (it's where he's played pretty much the entirety of his season at Bath) which means that if Beirne has to come on at lock there is still ample 6 cover (it also frees up Lawes to cover lock in the unlikely situation that both Itoje and AWJ go down). The lack of any real 7 cover is a concern though.
Faletau can cover 7 at a push, But looks like Gotland plans to play Curry for the full 80.

Daly did struggle physically and conceded 2 pens one of which I think was actually a pretty good turn over, what frustrates me slightly is that Henshaw was sat down miles behind the gainline on at-least one occasion maybe more, made a pretty solid line break which he later butchered and the offload actually looked to be on, add to this Williams dropped more high balls than successfully took from what I could see, I do think the extra physicality of Harris is a welcome one, just disagree with highlighting a players every mistake yet missing others out completely, Bigger missed a far easier kick than Daly's, yet seen little mention of that here.
Well there isn't really much point debating Williams performance when he hasn't made the 23?

With Daly covering I'm praying that our back 3 stay fit.

If Hogg goes down, who gets the FB gig, Watson or Daly? I'd much prefer Watson but that means Daly to the wing where he's arguably worse than FB.

Then again if one of the centres go down we've got the hopelessly out of touch Farrell or the dropped from last week as it didn't work Daly.

Can Price play anywhere except 9?

I don't get worrying about positional cover from the bench - you're never going to cover every position to truely international standard there

You can say we don't have 7 cover if Curry goes down injured, but last week we didn't have 8 if Conan went down,

Price/Farrell/Daly is as good as you'll get in terms of covering the backline - even if Farrell/Daly aren't the best options available as starters, as bench options they've got enough experience to be viable options anywhere.

You can say Daly was poor in the centre last week, but then who is on the bench instead of him? Aki?
Then when if Watson tears his achilles after 5 mins - Harris to the wing and Aki at 13?

Maybe Smith would be better coming off the bench at 10, but then if Henshaw gets injured, then what? Biggar to 12?

Unless you have a 15 man bench there's always going to be compromises

I don't get worrying about positional cover from the bench - you're never going to cover every position to truely international standard there

You can say we don't have 7 cover if Curry goes down injured, but last week we didn't have 8 if Conan went down,

Price/Farrell/Daly is as good as you'll get in terms of covering the backline - even if Farrell/Daly aren't the best options available as starters, as bench options they've got enough experience to be viable options anywhere.

You can say Daly was poor in the centre last week, but then who is on the bench instead of him? Aki?
Then when if Watson tears his achilles after 5 mins - Harris to the wing and Aki at 13?

Maybe Smith would be better coming off the bench at 10, but then if Henshaw gets injured, then what? Biggar to 12?

Unless you have a 15 man bench there's always going to be compromises
Of course you're right, but Daly anywhere near the back 3 gives me chronic heebie jeebies at the best of times. And with Hogg also prone to the flaky, Williams might have felt more sensible, even if that cuts down the centre options.

I normally wouldn't complain (too much) about Farrell covering 10/12 except that he's so far out of form that it's not funny.

Yeah, that's fair

FWIW I'd have had Williams or Adams in the 23 shirt as well

I suppose the interesting question now is, what happens if Biggar isn't cleared to play on Thursday.

Farrell to 10 and Russell or Smith to the bench? Or Russell / Smith to start?

9300d8406d3659bd72dde3f380d1c794f43505ede564d827cca2036f7ae9de53.gif

I suppose the interesting question now is, what happens if Biggar isn't cleared to play on Thursday.

Farrell to 10 and Russell or Smith to the bench? Or Russell / Smith to start?

If Biggar doesn't make it I would expect Gatland to go with Farrell at 10 and Russell on the bench. Gatland seems to be going for beef/credit in the bank picks in this test and so I doubt he'd start Russell. It almost seems like Farrell and Daly will be in the 23 no matter how they perform.

Last edited:
I reckon Russell is injured,

Think it'd be Farrell/Henshaw midfield otherwise

Tandy confirmed yesterday he was back in full training.

I think Biggar still has the shirt if he's fit and Gatland wants Farrell on the bench to cover 10/12 and potentially be available for any late kicks at goal.

True, but like some others I don't think he's in the best form. Bath struggled in the premiership, and while that is not all Faletau, I don't think he was setting the world alight at 6. This tour he certainly hasn't looked great. Especially when you have the likes of Henderson, Navidi and Watson who have all played better imo.

Tandy confirmed yesterday he was back in full training.
Didn't they say he was back in training and they'd assess if he was fit for selection then?
I don't think they'd have bigged up his return so much if they weren't going to have him in the 23

Still can't understand that Marcell is not even in the squad......
How has he been lately? Havn't followed the Currie Cup and he looked tired and/or disinterested in his 1st game for the Bulls from what I remember. Wasn't it hoeka in that loss vs Benetton where the entire Bulls team didn't look like they wanted to be anywhere near the game? Captain nogal if I'm not mistaken.

Latest posts