• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

South Africa vs British and Irish Lions - Test 3

Classic Gatland hedging his bets by going for half back pairings that don't compliment each other. The Boks will be loving that Biggar is starting again - let's see if he can surpass his three passes from the last game.

Guess he's unwilling to throw LRZ in there and so it was a toss up between VDM and Watson with Gatland getting hard from Duhan's extra kg's. No idea what Owens is still doing there. Harsh on Beirne and Mish. Russell and Simmonds will come on after it's too late and so Gatland can still claim he tried a Plan B. Boks by 9.

Last edited:
Springbok team to face the British & Irish Lions:
15 – Willie le Roux (Toyota Verblitz) – 64 caps, 60 pts (12t)
14 – Cheslin Kolbe (Toulouse) – 16 caps, 40 pts (8t)
13 – Lukhanyo Am (Cell C Sharks) – 17 caps, 20 pts (4t)
12 – Damian de Allende (Munster) – 49 caps, 30 pts (6t)
11 – Makazole Mapimpi (Cell C Sharks) – 16 caps, 75 pts (15t)
10 – Handré Pollard (vice-captain, Montpellier) – 51 caps, 494 pts (6t, 79c, 98p, 4d)
9 – Cobus Reinach (Montpellier) – 15 caps, 35pts (7t)
8 – Jasper Wiese (Leicester Tigers) – 2 caps, 0 pts
7 – Franco Mostert (Honda Heat) – 42 caps, 5pts (1t)
6 – Siya Kolisi (captain, Cell C Sharks) – 53 caps, 30 pts (6t)
5 – Lood de Jager (Sale Sharks) – 47 caps, 25 pts (5t)
4 – Eben Etzebeth (Toulon) – 88 caps, 15 pts (3t)
3 – Frans Malherbe (DHL Stormers) – 41 caps, 5pts (1t)
2 – Bongi Mbonambi (DHL Stormers) – 39 caps, 40 pts (8t)
1 – Steven Kitshoff (DHL Stormers) – 50 caps, 5pts (1t)

Replacements:
16 – Malcolm Marx (Kubota Spears) – 36 caps, 30 pts (6t)
17 – Trevor Nyakane (Vodacom Bulls) – 45 caps, 5 pts (1t)
18 – Vincent Koch (Saracens) – 22 caps, 0 pts
19 – Marco van Staden (Vodacom Bulls) – 4 caps, 0 pts
20 – Kwagga Smith (Yamaha Júbilo) – 9 caps, 5 pts (1t)
21 – Herschel Jantjies (DHL Stormers) – 13 caps, 25 pts (5t)
22 – Morné Steyn (Vodacom Bulls) – 66 caps, 736 points (8t, 102c, 154p, 10d)
23 – Damian Willemse (DHL Stormers) – 9 caps, 5pts (1t)

The fact Beirne won't have started a test is really sad. The man is immense and would have been one of my first names on the sheet. He can literally do it all.

And conversely the fact that Daly has been in all three test 23's and Farrell in two of them is an absolute travesty. Gatland was talking out of his arse when he said all players will get opportunity to impress in the warm up games because he has totally disregarded Beirne's performances.

Springbok team to face the British & Irish Lions:
15 – Willie le Roux (Toyota Verblitz) – 64 caps, 60 pts (12t)
14 – Cheslin Kolbe (Toulouse) – 16 caps, 40 pts (8t)
13 – Lukhanyo Am (Cell C Sharks) – 17 caps, 20 pts (4t)
12 – Damian de Allende (Munster) – 49 caps, 30 pts (6t)
11 – Makazole Mapimpi (Cell C Sharks) – 16 caps, 75 pts (15t)
10 – Handré Pollard (vice-captain, Montpellier) – 51 caps, 494 pts (6t, 79c, 98p, 4d)
9 – Cobus Reinach (Montpellier) – 15 caps, 35pts (7t)
8 – Jasper Wiese (Leicester Tigers) – 2 caps, 0 pts
7 – Franco Mostert (Honda Heat) – 42 caps, 5pts (1t)
6 – Siya Kolisi (captain, Cell C Sharks) – 53 caps, 30 pts (6t)
5 – Lood de Jager (Sale Sharks) – 47 caps, 25 pts (5t)
4 – Eben Etzebeth (Toulon) – 88 caps, 15 pts (3t)
3 – Frans Malherbe (DHL Stormers) – 41 caps, 5pts (1t)
2 – Bongi Mbonambi (DHL Stormers) – 39 caps, 40 pts (8t)
1 – Steven Kitshoff (DHL Stormers) – 50 caps, 5pts (1t)

Replacements:
16 – Malcolm Marx (Kubota Spears) – 36 caps, 30 pts (6t)
17 – Trevor Nyakane (Vodacom Bulls) – 45 caps, 5 pts (1t)
18 – Vincent Koch (Saracens) – 22 caps, 0 pts
19 – Marco van Staden (Vodacom Bulls) – 4 caps, 0 pts
20 – Kwagga Smith (Yamaha Júbilo) – 9 caps, 5 pts (1t)
21 – Herschel Jantjies (DHL Stormers) – 13 caps, 25 pts (5t)
22 – Morné Steyn (Vodacom Bulls) – 66 caps, 736 points (8t, 102c, 154p, 10d)
23 – Damian Willemse (DHL Stormers) – 9 caps, 5pts (1t)

No Faf or Duane is big.

He's only at 13 to help little baby boy Ford have another option as Ford isn't an international FH. England have suffered by having two half players.

Let's not ruin the lions with out of form Farrell at 12. He's not a Henshaw, nor is he an Aki. He's an ok passer of the ball but he won't see space 9/10 times.

I'm no fan of Farrell's and I more or less agree with your second paragraph but the first is pure :rolleyes:.

Still not as bad as the looting comment mind you …

I think the SA team gives the lions a bit of a boost. I think alot thought Duane would be back, and no FAF is certainly helpful.

The fact Beirne won't have started a test is really sad. The man is immense and would have been one of my first names on the sheet. He can literally do it all.
Very much agree with this.

TBH, I very much doubt this tour will be remembered fondly and sadly, I'm not expecting much of an improvement in the third test, so it might not actually be bad thing.

I think the SA team gives the lions a bit of a boost. I think alot thought Duane would be back, and no FAF is certainly helpful.
Reinach would start for most other countries though so not much of a drop off.

Quite a different style of 9 though so the Boks might be looking at a different game plan?

Been loyal to the captain and it will cost them the series. Love AWJ to bits but he just isn't effective against South Africa.

100% should have gone Henderson, Itoje second row and we should have gone more dynamic in the back row- clearing rucks to enable phase continuation is crucial if we are to try and move this SA side around and attack them more, and I just don't see us doing that with Lawes at 6, as good as he is defensively and

Lawes on the bench as a second row- he'd be an absolute nightmare fresh in second half.

It won't excite people but the midfield of Ake and Henshaw at least are a known partnership/axis and I feel we've missed that key area in both tests- Daly poor in the first and Henshaw/Harris just not gelling in the second.

I thought Daly might have come into the back 3 as an extra boot- there's a lot riding on Biggar in this selection. Williams, Adam's and Daly would probably have been my 3. Van Der Merwe will need a mighty game to justify his start but it does indicate we're on the kick and contest tactic again.

Price deserved to start at 9- Murray will be vital in the second half if we are still in it.

I really like the front row bench (if Sinckler is cleared) and that can really bring some agility in the second half. Simmonds will bring speed into the back row too which could be massive if we have hung in there.

It seems to me that Gats has asked this XV to give him every last ounce for 50 minutes and then see if they can add the dynamism and agility to edge ahead late on. The risk is if the starting 15 are exposed, it will be a long night.

Lots to ponder- but come on the Lions

Lood Mostert and Etsabeth. Looks like lineouts are a clear target. Reinach needs a big game. Happy with the rest, except I would still always everyday rather start Malcolm Marx. He would walk into almost any international team but he just cant start for us. Nothing against Bongi he is decent but meh Marx is Marx.

Also not convinced at all by Wiese. He has been drop dead average in every game so far for us. Really hoped Duane would play but clearly cant.

Lood Mostert and Etsabeth. Looks like lineouts are a clear target. Reinach needs a big game. Happy with the rest, except I would still always everyday rather start Malcolm Marx. He would walk into almost any international team but he just cant start for us. Nothing against Bongi he is decent but meh Marx is Marx.
Yeah the Springbok line out, as it always seems to be, is absolutely immense. The Lions will have to be very smart with their calls to sustain parity. It changed the game on its head last week when Lood came on.

As a Bok, if you had to put a Lions hat on for a second and ask yourself what the most effective things the Lions could do to upset the Boks, what would you say?

Yeah the Springbok line out, as it always seems to be, is absolutely immense. The Lions will have to be very smart with their calls to sustain parity. It changed the game on its head last week when Lood came on.

As a Bok, if you had to put a Lions hat on for a second and ask yourself what the most effective things the Lions could do to upset the Boks, what would you say?
Lol, Gatland is that you? Asking for forum help?

I'm no fan of Farrell's and I more or less agree with your second paragraph but the first is pure :rolleyes:.

Still not as bad as the looting comment mind you …
I thought that was a fair joke to be honest. Not sure why they reacted so badly. Same joke the other way round and I'd laugh my head off. It went down a storm with the SA friends at work as well but I guess not everyone has the same sense of humour.

NB. I know the Ford/ Farrell comment is over the top but the truth is neither are complete FHs which is a real shame.

Hendy must wonder what the hell is going on... Im so confused by this, though Beard has looked a decent tight lock, but still, Hendy is another level atm

I don't get most of this.
From row. Furlong deserves spot but rest have been poor.
AWJ has not been effective and well this is costing Lions. Itoje suffers slightly then too as he has bigger burden. He's been excellent and that is remarkable.
Backrow. Well Lawes is type. Excellemt in 1st test declined 2nd test and will again 3rd as is expected. Lack of brain power in coaches to see this.
Don't get all this Price has been excellent at 9 and deserves it. His warm up games were against **** poor opposition. If he wasn't good in them then he shouldn't be on tour. Now I'm not saying Murray should start but more highlighting they have all been god damn awful.

Christ rest of backs bar Henshaw I don't even know where to start.

I'm happy with the team. Faf and Duane hurts, but Reinach is on form and plays with Handre at Montpelier....I'm EXTREMELY happy with Morne on the bench. He deserves this.I would replace Kwagga with another lock, otherwise all good.

Latest posts