• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

South Africa vs British and Irish Lions - Test 3

Even captain issue. Price hasn't done much to get ahead of Murray and Murray hasn't done enough badly to be way behind Price. So if Murray was just behind Price or ahead why add captaincy in to mix of 9 battle.
Gatland is a clown and well I know people will say oh he could be unbeaten in 3 tours but equally he may only be a victor in 1 of 3 and that was against probably Australia's worst era and still even then he nearly made a balls of it.
I'm on paper as saying I hope Irish lads go well and get home safe. But feel more connected to South Africa and would like to see them win simply as Gatland destroyed meaning of Lions. Even worst than Sir Clive and that saying alot
Missed you Muff!

The game plans seems to be that they try the same as before and start getting pumped before handing the reigns to Russell and hoping he can have a couple moments of magic to bring it back. There is zero attacking ambition in the starting back line.

Even captain issue. Price hasn't done much to get ahead of Murray and Murray hasn't done enough badly to be way behind Price. So if Murray was just behind Price or ahead why add captaincy in to mix of 9 battle.
Gatland is a clown and well I know people will say oh he could be unbeaten in 3 tours but equally he may only be a victor in 1 of 3 and that was against probably Australia's worst era and still even then he nearly made a balls of it.
I'm on paper as saying I hope Irish lads go well and get home safe. But feel more connected to South Africa and would like to see them win simply as Gatland destroyed meaning of Lions. Even worst than Sir Clive and that saying alot
I think that Murray is/was way behind Price. He, this series, has brought a new meaning to slow. I am not the biggest fan of Price but he is miles ahead on this tour. I think the captaincy hasn't helped but it is now the only reason he is on the bench, coupled with a **** poor 3rd choice SH.

I hope this ill-tempered bore-a-thon ends in a 9-9 all draw and they all leave the worst Lions tour in living memory with blue balls.
But they would have ejaculated three times each with that score line

I think that Murray is/was way behind Price. He, this series, has brought a new meaning to slow. I am not the biggest fan of Price but he is miles ahead on this tour. I think the captaincy hasn't helped but it is now the only reason he is on the bench, coupled with a **** poor 3rd choice SH.

Agreed. I couldn't believe how slow Murray was to arrive at rucks in the last test. I'd have had Tomos Williams in the squad instead of Davies who at least would be more compatible with the likes of Russell and Simmonds. I guess Gatland likes Davies.

The game plans seems to be that they try the same as before and start getting pumped before handing the reigns to Russell and hoping he can have a couple moments of magic to bring it back. There is zero attacking ambition in the starting back line.

I think Gatland has convinced himself that they can somehow get a carbon copy of the first test.

Murray's decision making has always left loads to be desired and he gets slower as a result. He gets/got away with it at club level because the game is slower and excelled with Ireland because he was with Sexton who runs the show almost completely from 10.

Put him in a tour after a season of up and down form with a very uncreative 10 who often waits for the game to come to him, which Biggar definitely is regardless of gameplan, and Murray as a result looks like a guy learning the sport. I would have Price starting and probably have Davies on the bench because there are few things worse for a team than Murray in his current form.

There was a lot of talk of bringing in Care and/or Cooney pre-tour which I laughed at but it would have been a fairly inspired call because the 9s are so bad you'd take SA's three ahead of them.

Not picking him for the tests isn't a mistake from Gatland but picking him as captain was absolutely nuts.

If Itoje, Curry, Aki, Henshaw and Williams have good games were in for a chance.

I also think we have to get into Rienach, put loads of pressure on him, i think the SA contingent are playing down how big of a loss Faf De Klerk is, he sets the tempo for this SA side in attack and defence, his kicking game has been second to none over both tests. Huge loss for the Springboks IMO.

Last edited:
just to add things into the mix, Lions getting battered by SA at half time on saturday, russell comes on and says we are playing my way not gat's way like in 2019 CC and turns thing around.
then Scotland thrash south Africa in the autumn showing gatland how he should have played!

I might have missed it but is there a reason De Klerk wasn't selected? From a Lions POV i'm glad Vermuelen isn't playing but I do like him as a player.

Hoping for a bit more of a free flowing game than last week.

just to add things into the mix, Lions getting battered by SA at half time on saturday, russell comes on and says we are playing my way not gat's way like in 2019 CC and turns thing around.
then Scotland thrash south Africa in the autumn showing gatland how he should have played!

This ^^

Although on current evidence this is only going to be possible if Price stays on, hoping Townsend wrestles control from Gatland and cuts loose.

I think you answered my point though. I'm not saying Murray has been good or deserving of a start more Price is awful too as is Davies.
Price has looked better as he has been playing in games against teams about 5 standards below what Murray has been playing against but more worryingly none have been good.

And all this on Russell turning game etc/. The man is only back off injury and well Scots don't exactly strike fear in to the South Africans. The only W these current Scots know against the Boks is when seeing it in a players name.

If Itoje, Curry, Aki, Henderson and Williams have good games were in for a chance.

I also think we have to get into Rienach, put loads of pressure on him, i think the SA contingent are playing down how big of a loss Faf De Klerk is, he sets the tempo for this SA side in attack and defence, his kicking game has been second to none over both tests. Huge loss for the Springboks IMO.
Youre right about henderson; id bet my bottom dollar that if he has a good game the lions will win. Heck, i reckon even if he has an average game.

Latest posts