• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

South Africa vs British and Irish Lions - Test 3

Planet Rugby's Lions team for third Test:

15 Liam Williams, 14 Anthony Watson, 13 Robbie Henshaw, 12 Bundee Aki, 11 Josh Adams, 10 Dan Biggar, 9 Conor Murray, 8 Jack Conan, 7 Tom Curry, 6 Courtney Lawes, 5 Alun Wyn Jones (c), 4 Maro Itoje, 3 Tadhg Furlong, 2 Luke Cowan-Dickie, 1 Mako Vunipola
Replacements: 16 Jamie George, 17 Wyn Jones, 18 Kyle Sinckler/Zander Fagerson, 19 Iain Henderson, 20 Taulupe Faletau, 21 Ali Price, 22 Finn Russell, 23 Elliot Daly

Planet Rugby's Lions team for third Test:

15 Liam Williams, 14 Anthony Watson, 13 Robbie Henshaw, 12 Bundee Aki, 11 Josh Adams, 10 Dan Biggar, 9 Conor Murray, 8 Jack Conan, 7 Tom Curry, 6 Courtney Lawes, 5 Alun Wyn Jones (c), 4 Maro Itoje, 3 Tadhg Furlong, 2 Luke Cowan-Dickie, 1 Mako Vunipola
Replacements: 16 Jamie George, 17 Wyn Jones, 18 Kyle Sinckler/Zander Fagerson, 19 Iain Henderson, 20 Taulupe Faletau, 21 Ali Price, 22 Finn Russell, 23 Elliot Daly
Their preference or a prediction?

I'd go:

1. Wyn Jones (Mako if not fit)
2. George
3. Furlong
4. Itoje
5. Henderson
6. Beirne
7. Curry
8. Conan
9. Price
10. Biggar
11. Adams
12. Henshaw
13. Harris
14. Watson (tempted by an Adams/LRZ wing, though)
15. Williams

16. LCD
17. Mako (Sutherland)
18. Fagerson
19. Lawes
20. Watson
21. Davies
22. Russell
23. Hogg

Would lose handsomely but might put up a bit more of a fight

Also make them all wear their club kits in training and captains run and warmups to try and make them play like they do for their clubs and not like they have for the duration of this tour (apart from Mako, tattoo that shirt on him)

I'd go with a total horses for courses selection of….

1. Jones (Mako)
2. LCD
3. Furlong
4. Henderson
5. AWJ (let's face reality, he's playing).
6.5 Lawes
6.5 Itoje
8 Faletau
9. Price
10. Biggar, with strict instructions to pass occasionally
11. Adams
12. Farrell
13. Henshaw
14. Watson
15. Williams

16. George
17. Mako (Sutherland)
18. Sinckler
19. Beirne
20. Curry
21. Davies
22. Russell
23. Daly

Bit pre 2020 Eddie Jones on the lock front, but we have to meet fire with fire in the pack and assuming it will be more of the same I think we can sacrifice a pure open side. And while Curry's worked hard he hasn't had the real impact any of us would have hoped.

Farrell seems a v odd call yet without him all the playmaking (such as it is) falls on Biggar. We also know that he won't shirk the physical although you could probably book a couple of TMO slots for him now.

I'd try and come flying out the blocks and try and build up a lead while our forwards are still in the battle and then bring the steady Eddies on in the second half. Bringing flair backs on in the second half when the pack is going backwards and the lineout isn't functioning won't make any difference - too little too late.

1. Wyn Jones
2. George
3. Furlong
4. Beirne
5. Itoje
6. Lawes
7. Watson
8. Conan
9. Price
10. Russell
11. Adams
12. Henshaw
13. Harris
14. LRZ
15. Williams

16. Mako
17. LCD
18. Sinckler (if banned - Fagerson)
19. Henderson
20. Curry
21. Davies
22. Farrell
23. Daly

I'd go with a total horses for courses selection of….

1. Jones (Mako)
2. LCD
3. Furlong
4. Henderson
5. AWJ (let's face reality, he's playing).
6.5 Lawes
6.5 Itoje
8 Faletau
9. Price
10. Biggar, with strict instructions to pass occasionally
11. Adams
12. Farrell
13. Henshaw
14. Watson
15. Williams

16. George
17. Mako (Sutherland)
18. Sinckler
19. Beirne
20. Curry
21. Davies
22. Russell
23. Daly

Bit pre 2020 Eddie Jones on the lock front, but we have to meet fire with fire in the pack and assuming it will be more of the same I think we can sacrifice a pure open side. And while Curry's worked hard he hasn't had the real impact any of us would have hoped.

Farrell seems a v odd call yet without him all the playmaking (such as it is) falls on Biggar. We also know that he won't shirk the physical although you could probably book a couple of TMO slots for him now.
With Farrell outside maybe Biggar could get above 5 passes

Happy for the script to go entirely (it won't), just grab a solid pack and then all the electric kids in the backs: Price, Smith, (a winger), Simmonds (why not), Henshaw, Adams, Williams

With Farrell outside maybe Biggar could get above 5 passes

Happy for the script to go entirely (it won't), just grab a solid pack and then all the electric kids in the backs: Price, Smith, (a winger), Simmonds (why not), Henshaw, Adams, Williams
Doesn't help if those additional passes are to Farrell who will also then just hoof it though. Contrary to the claim, Farrell really isn't a playmaker, he's a kicker. Playmakers should read a game and pick the best option from a variety of options and we have seen numerous times Farrell does this very rarely. The number of gigantic overlaps he has butchered because it didn't even occur to him to look means he is not a playmaker in my books.

Oh sure, not advocating for him at all. I don't personally think he is international standard; but we don't produce 12s. Why he's with the Lions when Biggar is there already is beyond me.

Doesn't help if those additional passes are to Farrell who will also then just hoof it though. Contrary to the claim, Farrell really isn't a playmaker, he's a kicker. Playmakers should read a game and pick the best option from a variety of options and we have seen numerous times Farrell does this very rarely. The number of gigantic overlaps he has butchered because it didn't even occur to him to look means he is not a playmaker in my books.
Think you've got a bit sucked into the anti-hype there. He's decent international standard, especially at 12 where he has a bit more time and slightly less decision making.

Think you've got a bit sucked into the anti-hype there. He's decent international standard, especially at 12 where he has a bit more time and slightly less decision making.
Have you watched Farrell play for England at all since last Autumn?

Not sure I agree, he's a decent international player but not really creative enough to be a 12 IMO, it's just another person who can kick other than the 10. Ball in hand attack isn't really a big feature of his game for the 12 position I don't think.

Yeah, he's out of form and/or rusty from the Championship, and I wouldn't pick him. I don't agree that his only function at 12 is to aimlessly punt though, nor that kicking is a waste of time vs SA. Their defence is very strong, so kicking to keep turning their giant pack is a pretty sensible call.

He's only at 13 to help little baby boy Ford have another option as Ford isn't an international FH. England have suffered by having two half players.

Let's not ruin the lions with out of form Farrell at 12. He's not a Henshaw, nor is he an Aki. He's an ok passer of the ball but he won't see space 9/10 times.

SOUTH AFRICA v THE BRITISH & IRISH LIONS
15. Liam Williams (Scarlets, Wales) #833
14. Josh Adams (Cardiff Rugby, Wales) #836
13. Robbie Henshaw (Leinster Rugby, Ireland) #824
12. Bundee Aki (Connacht Rugby, Ireland) #837
11. Duhan van der Merwe (Worcester Warriors, Scotland) #841
10. Dan Biggar (Northampton Saints, Wales) #821
9. Ali Price (Glasgow Warriors, Scotland) #843
1. Wyn Jones (Scarlets, Wales) #842
2. Ken Owens (Scarlets, Wales) #829
3. Tadhg Furlong (Leinster Rugby, Ireland) #818
4. Maro Itoje (Saracens, England) #825
5. Alun Wyn Jones – captain (Ospreys, Wales) #761
6. Courtney Lawes (Northampton Saints, England) #826
7. Tom Curry (Sale Sharks, England) #853
8. Jack Conan (Leinster Rugby, Ireland) #839

Replacements:
16. Luke Cowan-Dickie (Exeter Chiefs, England) #851
17. Mako Vunipola (Saracens, England) #787
18. *Kyle Sinckler (Bristol Bears, England) #814 – subject to outcome of disciplinary hearing.
19. Adam Beard (Ospreys, Wales) #852
20. Sam Simmonds (Exeter Chiefs, England) #849
21. Conor Murray (Munster Rugby, Ireland) #790
22. Finn Russell (Racing 92, Scotland) #835
23. Elliot Daly (Saracens, England) #822

I really don't get Gatland at all
Simmonds and Russell really big attack focused players.
But guess who links them up Murray

Latest posts