• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

South Africa vs British & Irish Lions - Test 1

He could pick him on the bench like he did last time with Warburton. But would be very surprised if he did this time round.

Thoughts on this? It did feel like he was very uncompetitive in the line out especially when Itoje come on and was far more athletic. Navidi was on at the time too who isn't a jumper either

Felt like Faletau has been off the pace most of the tour tbh, Conan really deserves to be ahead of him.
For me, it has to be

4: Itoje
5: Henderson
6: Beirne
7: Watson
8: Conan

But I think he'll go AWJ & Faletau over Henderson and Conan.

He's not the best lineout forward, can do a job as the 3rd jumper. Neither are any of the other selected 8s to be honest, so shouldn't really make too much of a difference.
You don't pick him from how he has played the rest of his game not just a few lineouts.

Thoughts on this? It did feel like he was very uncompetitive in the line out especially when Itoje come on and was far more athletic. Navidi was on at the time too who isn't a jumper either

Felt like Faletau has been off the pace most of the tour tbh, Conan really deserves to be ahead of him.
For me, it has to be

4: Itoje
5: Henderson
6: Beirne
7: Watson
8: Conan

But I think he'll go AWJ & Faletau over Henderson and Conan.

Strengthens my prediction of Lawes at 6

Despite how any of selected 8s have actually played. Baring injury I think Gatland had Faletau pencilled in and was always going to start him

i reckon It's going to be Beirne and I think we are going to see a 6-2 split with Lawes, Hill and Curry/Watson on the bench.
Aye, I'd prefer Beirne (and do think we'll go 6:2) - Lawes has a way of sneaking his way into sides, though

Team I'd be least ****** off with
1. Sutherland (I don't hate Wyn Jones here either)
2. George (I just think he's extremely all round solid. Again I would be fine with LCD and Owens at a push though.)
3. Furlong
4. Itoje
5. Henderson (against all logic by which one picks a team AWJ will walk into this spot and captain. Think it will be Henderson and not Itoje who drops )
6. Beirne (I pray)
7. Curry (I can understand catching flak for this as Watson has been really good, but I just think Curry at his best is a complete test match animal and pretty unplayable. Watson here is fine though, I couldn't argue)
8. Conan (Has only really done right this tour in my opinion. I think Faletau will probably start, but Conan has not had a bad game for a long while now.)
9. Murray (Again, I'd really argue how much tempo Price brings. He's physically quick and will get on the end of scores well, but his ruck speed doesn't convince me and I just don't think he's very effective. Fully respect people preferring Price though, but I think Murray will get the nod)
10. Biggar
11. Adams
12. Henshaw
13. Daly (Not massively enthused by this, but the Lions can field a good back three and Daly probably has the best chance of making sure they get the ball)
14. Watson (I think he's too exciting to leave out)
15. Hogg (Again, has had his bad moments but too good to leave out, but I do rate Liam Williams so highly as well)

If we're talking nailed on players I think Furlong, Itoje, Biggar, Adams and Henshaw are certain. I'd be shocked if AWJ doesn't start and Murray I think is 80/20. Bench will be 6:2 split I'd agree.

Still feel we should have the advantage going into game 1 but not sure how much to read into the SA 'A' game. We are expecting some personel changes as well and both teams probably weren't going full tilt but I feel the Lions have the higher ceiling and if one of two calls went the Lions' way it was them winning. By the same token I felt the Van Staaden binning was harsh. Looked a legit pilfer to my eyes.

Sure, we have had less of a run up than the Lions and the home advantage is largely a moot point without any crowds but TBH, are we really expecting a team looking that much different than the RWC winning team that knew each other inside out? Probably not. Rust and fitness and Covid+ exclusions much more likely to be factors. But I'm still sticking to SA taking game 1 and 2 with 3 going to the Lions.

Hoping for:

1 Kitshoff 17 Nyakane
2 Marx 16 Mbonambi
3 Malherbe 18 Koch
4 Etzebeth
5 Mostert 19 De Jager
6 Du Toit
7 Van Staaden 23 Smith (assuming 6/2 forwards/backs split on the bench because of Willemse's versatility though it might be Frans Steyn or even Jesse Kriel)
8 Wiese 20 Du Preez (expecting both Kolisi and Vermeulen to be out of contention)
9 De Klerk 21 Jantjies
10 Pollard 22 Willemse
11 Fassi
12 De Allende
13 Am
14 Kolbe
15 Le Roux

Not expecting Kolisi, Vermeulen, Snyman or Mapimpi to be ready.

Still feel we should have the advantage going into game 1 but not sure how much to read into the SA 'A' game. We are expecting some personel changes as well and both teams probably weren't going full tilt but I feel the Lions have the higher ceiling and if one of two calls went the Lions' way it was them winning. By the same token I felt the Van Staaden binning was harsh. Looked a legit pilfer to my eyes.

Sure, we have had less of a run up than the Lions and the home advantage is largely a moot point without any crowds but TBH, are we really expecting a team looking that much different than the RWC winning team that knew each other inside out? Probably not. Rust and fitness and Covid+ exclusions much more likely to be factors. But I'm still sticking to SA taking game 1 and 2 with 3 going to the Lions.

Hoping for:

1 Kitshoff 17 Nyakane
2 Marx 16 Mbonambi
3 Malherbe 18 Koch
4 Etzebeth
5 Mostert 19 De Jager
6 Du Toit
7 Van Staaden 23 Smith (assuming 6/2 forwards/backs split on the bench because of Willemse's versatility though it might be Frans Steyn or even Jesse Kriel)
8 Wiese 20 Du Preez (expecting both Kolisi and Vermeulen to be out of contention)
9 De Klerk 21 Jantjies
10 Pollard 22 Willemse
11 Fassi
12 De Allende
13 Am
14 Kolbe
15 Le Roux

You guys have huge hopes for Fassi dont you? DO you think he'll be a real danger at this level?

Hoping for:

1 Kitshoff 17 Nyakane
2 Marx 16 Mbonambi
3 Malherbe 18 Koch
4 Etzebeth
5 Mostert 19 De Jager
6 Du Toit
9 De Klerk 21 Jantjies
10 Pollard 22 Willemse
11 Fassi
12 De Allende
13 Am
14 Kolbe
15 Le Roux

Probably need a winger with a bit more grunt and size no? That midfield is powerful but neither Fassi and Kolbe have the beef to battle Duhan for example

Is DVDM even going to play in the first test? Seems unlikely.
I think he's almost nailed on, tbh
Said pre-tour he's exactly what Gatland likes in a winger, and then he's been scoring tries for fun in the warmups/hasn't had his poor defence exploited

I think it will be him and Josh Adams on the wings

Hoping for:

1 Kitshoff 17 Nyakane
2 Marx 16 Mbonambi
3 Malherbe 18 Koch
4 Etzebeth
5 Mostert 19 De Jager
6 Du Toit
9 De Klerk 21 Jantjies
10 Pollard 22 Willemse
11 Fassi
12 De Allende
13 Am
14 Kolbe
15 Le Roux

No Trevor please, he'll get ****** up come scrum time

You guys have huge hopes for Fassi dont you? DO you think he'll be a real danger at this level?
The only place where i will start him for this tour is fullback. Dont think he should be started on wing vs the Lions.

With that said if he gets picked instead of Le Roux then I will not be upset. Le Roux is the creative spark in our attack and one that coordinates most of what goes on in the backline i like hime, but Fassi is the type of player who can lead the attack on his own. His linebreak ability is only rivalled by Kolbe in the Bok squad. Probably the fastest player involved in the tour also. Can see him winning a tight game this tour.

Last edited:

Latest posts