Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Sale
1626689480669.png
Springboks to face British and Irish Lions:
Willie le Roux, Cheslin Kolbe, Lukhanyo Am, Damian de Allende, Makazole Mapimpi, Handre Pollard, Faf de Klerk; Kwagga Smith, Pieter-Steph du Toit, Siya Kolisi (captain), Franco Mostert, Eben Etzebeth, Trevor Nyakane, Bongi Mbonambi, Ox Nche.

Replacements: Malcolm Marx, Steven Kitshoff, Frans Malherbe, Lood de Jager, Rynhardt Elstadt, Herschel Jantjies, Elton Jantjies, Damian Willemse

Lions: Stuart Hogg; Anthony Watson, Elliot Daly, Robbie Henshaw, Duhan van der Merwe; Dan Biggar, Ali Price; Wyn Jones, Luke Cowan-Dickie, Tadhg Furlong; Maro Itoje, Alun Wyn Jones (capt); Courtney Lawes, Tom Curry, Jack Conan.

Reps: Ken Owens, Rory Sutherland, Kyle Sinckler, Tadhg Beirne, Hamish Watson, Conor Murray, Owen Farrell, Liam Williams.

Last edited:
South Africa by 10, more if we're demented enough to play Farrell and Mako.

The side should be competitive just unconvinced we have a scrum-half that can compete with Faf, Biggar will likely start and unsure that will create opportunities that our talented back 3 require. Aki also likely to start and I don't think crash ball will work against the Boks.

Its a bit better looking at the forwards we should start a pretty good front row with LCD and Furlong combined with Sutherland or Wyn Jones and the backup guys of George and Sinckler are good as well. Second row well AWJ shouldn't be starting and I don't think he bring dynamism off the bench but he'll start or be bench. Henderson and Itoje should be pretty good with Beard/Lawes on the bench (could be Beirne from pitch). Its certainly weekend with AWJ who can't be match ready but he's also not so gash it will compromise the team. Backrow honestly stick in Beirne/Curry and not too fussed about the third.

Its the bench where I have issues no scrum-half is likely to a better job than whoever we pick. Farrell almost certainly covering 10/12 from the bench or god forbid the pitch. The backs won't make the required difference, front row is good as noted but our bench second and backrow option don't feel like game changers either. Last tour we had those bench players (mainly because Gatland didn't start them) this we don't.

Hoping Gatland selects a decent team.
Let's see
Sunderland LCD Furlong
Itoje Henderson
Bearnie Curry
Conan
Murray Biggar
Henshaw Harris/ Daly
Adam's Watson
Williams

That's what I'm hoping we might actually see. But I'm guessing Farrell and Aki will be involved and probably some forwards as it is a style thing with some of them.

I'm not even going to be able to watch live,
Got a birthday to attend to and didn't realise it clashed

I posted my never going to happen XV I'd like here's my Gats predicted starting XV, thankfully I do think Farrell will on the bench rather than the pitch. Still wouldn't bet against it. I also think there will be some bonkers decisions in the forwards there always is with Gats.

1. Wyn Jones
2. LCD
3. Furlong
4. Itoje
5. AWJ
6. Beirne
7. Curry
8. Faletau
9. Murray
10. Biggar
11. Adams
12. Aki
13. Daly
14. Watson
15. Hogg

Honestly thought the tour would be cancelled by this point so happy that we have made it this far.

Don't think he should have been brought back but since he has been AWJ will start, probably with Itjoe. Front row could be any of them (just hopefully not Vunipola), but I think Wyn Jones, LCD, Furlong. Back row will be Faleteau and Beirne 6 then one of Watson or Curry at 7, leaning with Curry at the moment. Then I think it will be Murray and Biggar, Adams is one of those definites on the wing, then the other could be any of the 3 but Watson I think will get the start. Hogg was my first choice 15 going into the tour but has not a lot of game time, I still think he will get the nod. Centres is one where i'm not really sure at all what Gatland will do. I'm edging that it's going to be Henshaw/ Daly but Gatland loves a beefy boy at 12 so Aki has a good chance as well.

We really need to be hitting the breakdowns hard this time, not standing back and watching as we repeatedly get turned over. I'm not sure what the tactics were and if we were sandbagging but we can't be that lax protecting our own ball again. The forwards need to step up and do their job clearing the rucks out properly, not leave the 9 to frantically try to clean it up or get the ball away fast (something Murray won't do at the best of times). There is no point having lots of players fanned across the pitch ready to take the ball if it gets stuck in the ruck resulting in slow ball that then gets shut down by a defence that has had time to set up.

South Africa by 10, more if we're demented enough to play Farrell and Mako.
If you're that confident I would get down the bookies as they'll be offering good odds on SA to win by more than 10 points I reckon.

In the first half of the SA "A" game, Lions were really caught out a the breakdown, were a bit too late arriving a bit too often and against a team like SA you will get punished for that. I thought they did a lot better in the 2nd half though, Lions also didn't run any attacking moves in SA half, they are still keeping how they are going to play close to their chest but you will be able to have a good guess from the players picked I suppose.

If you're that confident I would get down the bookies as they'll be offering good odds on SA to win by more than 10 points I reckon.
I don't bet outside the grand national (or if I actually go to the Ponies on a very rare occasion) know my personality makeup means I'd get into trouble very quickly.

11/2 for 11-20, seams fair though.

I don't bet outside the grand national (or if I actually go to the Ponies on a very rare occasion) know my personality makeup means I'd get into trouble very quickly.

11/2 for 11-20, seams fair though.
Whenever I'm confident about a result and put money on it never comes off so shows how much I know.

Yeah that does seem about right for that margin. I'm thinking not too dissimilar to you, think it will be a bit tighter but the Lions to edge it but could go either way.

Sounds like team has been picked and the squad will probably be told today. Wonder if Gats will be tempted to do an early announcement or stick with Thursday.

Early announcement

jones
Owens
Furlong
Awj
Itoje
Beirne
Watson
Simmonds
Murray
Biggar
Adams
Aki
Henshaw
Dvdm
Hogg

mako
Cowan-dickie
Sinckler
Henderson
Curry
Price
Smith
Daly

Early announcement

jones
Owens
Furlong
Awj
Itoje
Beirne
Watson
Simmonds
Murray
Biggar
Adams
Aki
Henshaw
Dvdm
Hogg

mako
Cowan-dickie
Sinckler
Henderson
Curry
Price
Smith
Daly
Out of curiosity, would you guys in NZ watch the Lions playing against SA or Aus?

Sounds like team has been picked and the squad will probably be told today. Wonder if Gats will be tempted to do an early announcement or stick with Thursday.

Confirming that AWJ is fit for the first test is virtually a confirmation that he's nailed on to start and captain the side.

I think Gatland will go for reputation/credit in the bank picks in the first test. I really hope it goes to a decider and we're not faced with a dead rubber in the third.

Latest posts