• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

South Africa vs FIJI

J

Juggernaut

No matter what happens here, I'm just glad we have come this far.

Now if we can hold the Boks to less than 40, I'll die a happy man.

If Fiji throw the ball around like they did against Wales than they could do it but if they try muscle up against a pack like the Springboks they have no hope in hell.

Stranger things have happened, and I cant rule out the possibility of Fiji running the Boks close in the first half before tiredness gets the better of them in the last half and the Boks score 20 unanswered points.

Still, FIJI all the way baby!!! :bana:

well if they take a page out of the tongan book..and throw heavy running loose forwards at them then spin the ball to the centre quick enough then they can break the advantage line..and anything goes from there with a fijian backline...

my heart goes with the fijians!...i will support them the whole night!! but the minds going bokkes by 40..i know the fijians are capable of getting 3 or 4 tries in this match but its knowing how many tries the bokkes can inflict and how many penalties the fijians can give away..

i say..f*** the 15 aside rules..fiji go have some fun and play some free flowing rugby!!!...and you never know what could happen!

im pumped for this game - wont be as easy as it is on paper - fiji have a chance to win this game and they have nothing to loose!

Let's see how their dirty play fares against the toughest team in the world. Like Wales, i think Fiji are going to come off second best...severely.

48-18

20-15 at half time. Flattering result for Springboks in the end. Pushed all the way for 50 minutes by Fiji before fatigue gave way...

You heard it here first.

One thing I've noticed in the Springboks over the years (more so after Eddie Jones' input, but actually ever since Jake White took over as head coach), is that they usually hang back during the first half, and then hit with seven kinds of passion in the second half.

That's what Australia and New Zealand did against SA in the tri-nations, and it worked. When we started doing it, the results were quite nice.

Any one noticed lately the ruck area. Forget what Eddie has done with the backline running lines etc. The one thing that always impressed me with the Wallabies and Brumbies was how quick they rucked with only 4-5 men producing quick ball for the backs and still leaving the 1 or 2 back row players out helping out the backline.

I have seen examples of that lately with SA as one of their weak areas for me has always been producing quick ball at ruck.

SA should take this one comfortably.

Let's see how their dirty play fares against the toughest team in the world. Like Wales, i think Fiji are going to come off second best...severely.
[/b]

come on welshman. you can't blame fiji's tactics for the loss. the welsh at the end of the day just weren't good enough. and i blame it on gareth jenkins. his style of rugby was terrible, look at his win loss record. one of the worst ive seen for a while.

wales needs to get a good coach and play football like they were playing back at the last rugby world cup.
the football that won the six nations in 2005.

the football where gavin henson is playing. he was sorely missed this year. gosh. and do something about getting a good goalkicker. everyone is bloody hopeless! jones... hook... i'll say hook is good, but a little inexperienced.

anyways... i could go on for ages.

but i am a welsh supporter. so no sledging hey?

GO FIJI! IM ALL FOR AN UPSET!

What the Boks need to do is to do the basics well, especially in the 1st half. Keep it tight, kick for the corners, put pressure on the Fijian set-pieces. Attack their scrums and lineouts especially. Dominate possession and territory, and make the Fijians make a helluva lot of tackles around the fringes. Forget all about trying to give the ball air for the 1st 60 minutes, and then when fatigue kicks in, unleash the running game. Simple subdue and penetrate.

However, I fear that the Boks might well be suckered into throwing the ball around, trying to match the Fijian flair. We`ve seen this happen against both Tonga and the USA. If the Boks play smart rugby, keep it tight amongst their pack and wear down the opposition, we could well walk away with a 50-60 point win. But if we`re suckered into playing the high-risk stuff, probably more like a 10-15 point win, conceding 3 or 4 tries in the process.

I`m going for something in-between, Boks by 20-odd points.

I already know Fiji's Starting Lineup against South Africa because I know my team in and out.
Here it goes :
1. Graham Dewes
2. Sunia Koto
3. Jone Railomo
4 Kele Leawere
5. Iferemi Rawaqa
6. Semisi Naevo
7. Akapusi Qera
8. Sisa Koyamaibole
9. Mosese Rauluni
10. Seremaia Bai
11. Sireli Bobo
12. Seru Rabeni
13. Kameli Ratuvou
14. Vilimoni Delasau
15 Norman Ligairi.

Bench: NOT SURE
Jone Daunivuvu
Waisea Luveniyali
Isoa Neivua
Wame Lewaravu
Vereniki Sauturaga
Henry Qiodravu
Bill Gadolo

Yeah, I heard Tabua saying he'll probably go with a team like that. He might put Bai at 10 to counter the bruising Butch James and have Rabeni at 12 to run at Steyn all day.

The Boks, from reports this morning, will do away with the open running game they did in the Pool games and play a lot more Bulls-type rugby in structured rugby. Deny us the possesion and attack our scrums & lineouts.

Like I said before, if we can keep the score as low as possible....then we have done good.

Let's see how their dirty play fares against the toughest team in the world. Like Wales, i think Fiji are going to come off second best...severely. [/b]

Touche.

you wanna add some spice to this contest... sprinkle abit of idiot and add a dash of springbok and you get this....

'We don't respect Fiji' - Springbok centre
RUGBY WORLD CUP
By MARC HINTON in Marseille - RugbyHeaven | Thursday, 4 October 2007

South African centre Jaque Fourie says Fiji don't deserve the Springboks' respect, and they're not about to receive it in Sunday's Rugby World Cup quarterfinal.

"For me personally, I don't think we should show them any respect," Fourie said at the Boks' training ground in Marseille today.

"We've never lost against them and I don't think it's going to happen.

"We just have to force our game plan down on them and be ruthless.

"We've got to show no respect for them. They're going to have no respect for us, like all the island teams."

These are stunning, if refreshingly honest, words from the 24-year-old midfielder, breaking the cardinal rule of international rugby that you always talk up the opposition before a test match. They also demonstrate in glaring fashion the confidence that's circulating in the Boks camp right now.

These Springboks clearly mean business at this World Cup. They're buoyant, they're playing some excellent rugby, and they're over the moon with the draw they've landed which sees them handed the softest quarterfinal and a likely semi against a Pumas side they've never lost to.

It all adds up to a dangerous combination for a South African side that feeds off the passion and confidence of a few big wins like no other.

They disposed of England with contemptuous ease in pool play to make arguably the tournament's most emphatic statement early on, and clearly they are not about to let the Cinderella story that is the Fijians get in their way now it's knockout time.

Fiji's 38-34 upset of Wales last weekend earned them a surprise quarter-final berth and immediately installed them as the fairytale team of the tournament. They're certain to have the vast majority of the 60,000-plus crowd at Stade Velodrome on Sunday roaring them on in search of an even bigger upset.

Fourie, who forms a dangerous midfield partnership with young star Frans Steyn, said the fact that South Africa had already played Samoa and Tonga at the tournament made them well equipped to handle anything the Fijians were going to throw at them.

He also gave a strong indication the Springboks wouldn't make the same mistakes Wales did and get into a "sevens style" contest against the Pacific Islanders.

"We've played the island teams, and we know what to expect," said Fourie.

"I just think we should keep our structure, not open it wide because that's what they want. They want expansive rugby and to make it like sevens.

"Wales fell into that trap, made it little bit loose and threw the ball around. That's what they want. [We need to] just make it as boring as possible."

Not even a minor injury crisis at prop, with first-choice tighthead BJ Botha already lost for the tournament and backup CJ van der Linde suffering a knee knock at training this week, seems able to curtail these buoyant Boks.

"It's been excellent, the guys are feeling fresh, mentally they're all strong, and it's been a good World Cup for us so far," added Fourie.

Right down to the draw? "That's true, we're enjoying it," he said. "We're just focusing on our stuff that we have to do this week and next week and hopefully we'll play the final."

The mood even seemed to have filtered down to coach Jake White who was talking up the Boks' pathway to the final that many say makes them a certainty to face off against Graham Henry's All Blacks in the showpiece game.

"If you had told me a couple of years ago that our last three games could be Fiji, Argentina and the World Cup final, I think anyone in South African rugby would take it," he said.

"We've never lost to Argentina or Fiji, so we'll stick to what we've done in the past."

And the old enemy? "If New Zealand have to play France then Australia, of course it's going to take its toll more than having an easier run into the final." With an intriguing mix of ruthlessness and recklessness the Boks clearly have their sights on a second global crown. You have to respect that.

[/b]

if Jaque gets a punch in the mouth on the weekend i think we will know why...

Wow, he needs a serious thrashing from Jake White for shooting his mouth off like that. What the hell was he thinking?

Fiji may not be the best rugby nation out there, but they definitely deserve the respect, especially after their match against Wales.

It will be a hard game for the boks to take, but at the end I think they will win it

Right down to the draw? "That's true, we're enjoying it," he said. "We're just focusing on our stuff that we have to do this week and next week and hopefully we'll play the final."

The mood even seemed to have filtered down to coach Jake White who was talking up the Boks' pathway to the final that many say makes them a certainty to face off against Graham Henry's All Blacks in the showpiece game.

"If you had told me a couple of years ago that our last three games could be Fiji, Argentina and the World Cup final, I think anyone in South African rugby would take it," he said.

"We've never lost to Argentina or Fiji, so we'll stick to what we've done in the past."

And the old enemy? "If New Zealand have to play France then Australia, of course it's going to take its toll more than having an easier run into the final." With an intriguing mix of ruthlessness and recklessness the Boks clearly have their sights on a second global crown. You have to respect that.

[/b]

if Jaque gets a punch in the mouth on the weekend i think we will know why... [/b]

Gotta say that I really don't get his logic on the whole All Blacks thing... if anything I'd argue that the tough run to the final (assuming they make it) would actually make the task far harder for the Springboks as the ABs would have been severely hardened by their lead up matches. Also, although the boks have never lost to Argentina it's certainly not impossible if they could manage to upset France... a couple key injuries against Fiji (as the Fijians will probably make a point of inflicting the odd illegal blow after these comments) and all of a sudden Argentina could become a much more difficult prospect.

Yup, have to agree with you on this one. The only (partial) consolation for SA is that we had our toughen-up period during the pool matches, whereas NZ will be getting theirs now. Even so, NZ will benefit more from theirs.

But yes, we also can't afford any more injuries - we've already had too many as it is.

he doesnt respect the island teams?...thats funny new zealand is the biggest island i know of..and the guys that been playing in the black jersey till this day and before he was born are of large polynesian decent...and the majority of them are way better players then him

hope this feeds the fijians engine room! but not to give away stupid penalties..rabeni shall see him through!!!

i think early on the game it'll b a tight tussle, but i think boks superior fitness and high intensity will outlast the fijians, it'll be a great game i reckon.

Fiji will lose a lot without regular 5 8th nicky little be interesting how well the replacement 10 goes.

and jaque the duuuck!! he was one of my favs bok players but dude his comments were not called for, how can you say the fijians don't deserve respect? thats un-rugby like isnt it? i hope rabeni smashes him to oblivion!