• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

South Africa vs FIJI

Would of liked to play Wales instead of Fiji. We haven't been tested in many areas besides physically. And if we play the Pumas in the semi-final it we be much of the same, atleast we know we'll get a few up-and-unders from them.

42 - 13 to the Boks

IF thats artical is accurate then someone should give Fourie a couple of slaps. Personally i respect all rugby playing nation. Regardless of what Fouries says, you've got my resepct (if that means anything to ya) :)

Think the first 25mins will be evenly matched, but boks to win it by 20 by 80mins.

Any way I could watch this online.. I live in the states.
[/b]
IRB.com/mediazone.com ( not live) full match available after 24 hours.
1st half & 2nd half highlights available right after the game.
or
Setantarugby.com

Throw in a bit of idiot, for sure. Who exactly wrote that little piece of journalistic brilliance? Greg Growden?

This is what Fourie actually said, courtesy of Die Burger, Thursday 4th October 2007, translated from Afrikaans by myself, an Afrikaans speaker. unlike whoever obviously did that little beauty:

" There is no way that our attention will be away from this match. We won`t be thinking about the semi-final against Argentina.

The whole tournament now becomes a mental battle with the start of the knock-out matches. And the stronger we are mentally, the better we`ll play.

It will again be hard and physical. Just like all the other island nations, Fiji will be hard and physical. We are used to that by now, having played earlier against Tonga and Samoa.

However, we relish that type of a physical challenge.

What Fiji likes to do, is to make the game loose, so that they can use their sevens skills. They have excellent runners with ball in hand, especially when the play becomes unstructured. But if you keep your structure against them, make things a bit boring, drive with the forwards and kick the ball out, then they struggle. If we can do that for the 1st 20 minutes, we`ll win comfortably."

Right, so please show me the disrespect in this, the original quote. The only thing I`ll disagree with, is the reference to keeping it tight for 20 minutes- I`d reckon more like 50-60 minutes. But otherwise perfectly spot-on.

Oh well, what some journalists won`t do to stir some controversy. Never let the facts get in the way of a good story eh guys?

Hahaha, hooray for qouting out of context, or hell just complete qoute buggery.

I'll just add what everyone has been saying so far, keep it tight and structured for a good 50 - 60 minutes to wear them out and nail them in the end, if we play an open game (yet again) they'll make life hell for us.

i think of this match...for south africa is practis!!! maybe....i hope it isnt tru

Well, there we go. Misquoted. Phew. I must admit I was bloody disgusted with what he said, but it's quite obvious now that he didn't even come close to showing disrespect to Fiji.

Journalists....

There's a huge injury scare in the Flying Fijians camp, as tight head prop Jone Railomo injured his arm in a scrum training session today.
:cryy:
Railomo is receiving special treatment, and a decision on his availability is expected to be made just hours before the team announcement on Friday.

Im cheering for Fiji but, honestly, I think SA is going to be too much for them. The Springboks are just too strong, and are big candidates for the ***le.

What's with the prop injuries...first BJ Botha, then it could be CJ van der Linde...now Railomo.

Hope he's OK though. we need him against the Boks.

how was he misquoted??? the original article had direct quotes in english....

are you saying that an accredited journo misquoted him that badly???

sorry... i cant believe that... RWC limited would take his accreditation away if it really was misquoted... thats not just misquoted thats deadset lying...

the article you brought up could be a completely diffrent interview.... especially since it was originally in afrikans...

Fiji are a very successful rugby nation with the style of play they use best - 7's style. No team in the world can match a top-form Fiji when they play 7's rugby and they regularly beat SA in the IRB Sevens who have many Super 14's players playing for them.

SA will win purely this encounter because they are better at the 15's than Fiji, have more depth in their squad.

Fiji regularly embarrass SA in the 7's because they don't have to worry about having the best lineout or the best scrum.

SA must not be drawn into a 7's contest, or they could face Fiji's backline running rampant.

Fiji must try to run the ball as they do in the 7's to stand any hope of putting a decent score on the board.

SA will obviously try to snuff out all momentum from Fiji and i expect a lot of kicking for territory to pin Fiji back. SA will dominate the scrums, lineouts but i think Fiji will impress at the breakdown.. samoa and tonga both showed SA can be competed against and Fiji are no different.

I expect Fiji to get a couple of well earned tries and probably one scintillating one. I expect SA will take advantage of the penalties Fiji give away (as long as Pretorius doesn't ever kick for goal again) and SA will run in 3 unanswered tries late in the second half.

Fiji will miss Nicky Little. He has been the kicker and Fiji don't really have an experienced goalkicker, so it will be tries and only tries for a score.. not that SA will give anything away anyway.

Should be a good game.. it is always great to watch Fiji run the ball. More of Delasau please and lets at least get one dazzling run across the whitewash.

The whole of the Pacific is cheering for you Fiji..

FIJI FIJI FIJI!

Fiji are an exellent 7s side because they actually have a 7s team, same with Samoa and I suppose also NZ.

We don't.

The thing is, 7s is never percieved as an important sport over here (even though it should be), our 7s side consists of a new bunch of random players every second month, hell just look at the 2006/2007 season, we ended up with an ENTIRE new team by the end of it :(

I just kinda wish we had -dedicated- 7s players like the Fijians and Samoans have, but that might get sorted out in the future since we're starting a new 7s program over here where we will even include 7s as a school sport.

At least we won the Dubai tournament, and made it to the final in the George one.

Oops, I guess that was pretty off topic.
On the kicking for territory thing, I just hope they do a good job, not finding touch will lead to Fiji doing those brilliant counter attacking moves. So here's hoping Butch and Percy have yet another brilliant game, especially butch with the tactical kicking, he has been superb so far.

are you saying that an accredited journo misquoted him that badly???

sorry... i cant believe that... RWC limited would take his accreditation away if it really was misquoted... thats not just misquoted thats deadset lying...

the article you brought up could be a completely diffrent interview.... especially since it was originally in afrikans...
[/b]

Not deliberately misquote, but since the interview in Afrikaans differs considerably from the translated English version, it obviously must have been some form of a misquote. Or the journalist could just be lying, who knows, but I find that doubtful. Was probably strategic deliberate misquoting.

I think the biggest differences between the QF and the Wales match is that Wales aren't noted for their defence. SA will be more organised and put their men down in the tackle. Fiji won't find opportunities so easy to manufacture versus the boks defence. SA also have a great set piece. Wales don't. Fiji don't. Thirdly, is the loss of Nicky Little. the Fiji backs have the skills to cause damage, but the need direction. Little has been providing that.

I fully expect a fairly one-sided game. SA will dominate a tight contest and bully the Fijian pack. Fijian attacks may well look dangerous, but they will be few and far between methinks.

i wouldve like to have seen maleli kunavore in the backline somewhere hes a massive player with speed to burn.
but hopefully with ratuvou in the centres now we should see wat hes got been heaps quiet at fullback top try scorer for saracens