• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

South Africa vs Ireland - 3 Tests - June 2016

LOL, you must be so bored!?!

But wait, since you support France, don't you follow the Top 14?

Bit far out for me to have any opinion on these tests but damn, do I hope we can pitch up and take all 3! The Irish have had the wood on us of late and look to be a team on the improve if anything and our recent(ish) run of losses against them irks me. Its the usual fact that we struggle against clever teams with tactically astute coaches.

I'm starting to get into it, more. I downloaded top14 matches from as far back as 2012. But seeing sides like Toulon being full of foreign players is a huge turn off, and it's showing on the national side, with lack of decent depth.

I don't buy that France has a lack of depth. They have 14 teams!!! Even more since the ProD2 is pretty much Currie Cup standard. If anything I think they have too many teams and players! The real problem is getting those individuals who play at different clubs all on the same page with zero time together because the Top 14 and Euro Cup fills the entire calender. The only issue regarding foreign players is that generally the French players don't then get to form combinations at club level.

I'm really looking forward to this. SA are my favourite southern team... I would absolutely love to win a series on their home turf :D Sadly, I don't see that happening. However, I reckon it will be pretty close. Schmidt said that the 6N and the South African tour are his main focus, so will be interesting to see if he bloods young players (which I hope he does), tries different gameplans or just goes for the comfortable win. Ideally, all 3.

South Africa will be playing in white for 3 tests, on home soil. That rarely happens.

I'm really looking forward to this. SA are my favourite southern team... I would absolutely love to win a series on their home turf :D Sadly, I don't see that happening. However, I reckon it will be pretty close. Schmidt said that the 6N and the South African tour are his main focus, so will be interesting to see if he bloods young players (which I hope he does), tries different gameplans or just goes for the comfortable win. Ideally, all 3.

No offence, but what else does he have to focus on for the next 12 months??

This could be a write off because after the RWC, The European Club games and tough run in in Pro 12 as all provinces need to qualify and 6 Nations I'm sure a lot of our guys will be pretty spent and need a break. Remembering the fact the all had shortened summer breaks this season as preseason was starting sooner.

This could be a write off because after the RWC, The European Club games and tough run in in Pro 12 as all provinces need to qualify and 6 Nations I'm sure a lot of our guys will be pretty spent and need a break. Remembering the fact the all had shortened summer breaks this season as preseason was starting sooner.

Agreed, summer tests are usually nowhere near as high priority... Though I would like this to be a success (obviously), some comfort after this WC would be nice... (don't see us doing 3 6N in a row)

Truthfully I see it being a disaster as it's too long in between an intense year and next year with the Lions Tour lads will be going all out to make it and if they do then that will be tough as it's a tough physical tour too. This may be a tour that has to be sacrificed to blood guys.

I don't buy that France has a lack of depth. They have 14 teams!!! Even more since the ProD2 is pretty much Currie Cup standard. If anything I think they have too many teams and players!
You're right. 30 clubs with ProD2 (no idea if it's Currie Cup standard)

The real problem is getting those individuals who play at different clubs all on the same page with zero time together because the Top 14 and Euro Cup fills the entire calender. The only issue regarding foreign players is that generally the French players don't then get to form combinations at club level.

most if not all French club combos were overlooked:

Parra-Lopez at Clermont
FTD-Pelissié at Montpellier
Bastareau-Mermoz at Toulon
Rougerie-Fofana at Clermont
Toulouse backrow
etc

Last edited:
South Africa will be playing in white for 3 tests, on home soil. That rarely happens.

Why the hell does Ireland get to play in green both home AND away!?! Maybe that's the edge they've had on us recently, the... Irish.

Oh, man... I just can't resist it! Here goes; me crystalballing SA's matchday 23 for drilling Ireland into our hardpacked earth just because we do need to drill them. Hard and long and messily. SA rugby fans remain frustrated and we need to make a point against this rising Irish side to undo the damage they've already done;

1 Trevor Nyakane* - its time to retire the Beast. We have options. Of those options Nyakane is black and merits his spot IMO.
2 Adriaan Strauss (c) - because he is senior and supposing Bismarck is out is a sure starter while we wait on our young hookers to step up. No Burger, JdV, Matfield, FdP and with competition in the backrow means Strauss is the likeliest senior player to play regularly.
3 Frans Malherbe
4 Eben Etzebeth
5 Lood de Jager
6 Marcell Coetzee
7 Jaco Kriel
8 Duane Vermeulen
9 Faf de Klerk - Please can we try our hand at fancy rugby? Off loads, snipes, wrap-arounds etc.
10 Handre Pollard
12 Damian de Alende* - the real Beast. Does he still count as colored? LOL, what a ridiculous situation SA ruby is in thanks to politics!
13 Jesse Kriel - lets hope the Bulls play them 12 Serfontein, 13 Kriel, 15 Gelant
15 Warrick Gelant* - because its time to accept Le Roux isn't improving on his failings and if anything has gone backwards in what made him an attractive prospect in the first place. Is this his own or Meyer's fault?

On our wings I am going to have to go black as my team is nowhere near 50% black*. I'd like to get a bit of size though. This is going to be tricky. If I can't have size I want Shane Williams type elusiveness and/or playmaking skills. I'll go for one of our 7's converts or paint Le Roux black. Kolbe, Senatla, Ulengo, Hendricks if back in form, Mvovo.. but all these 7's guys are probably going to be unavailable with Rio 2016's 7's. I am at a loss here. Probably just stick in two who've previsouly done duty on our wings; JPP, Habana, Hendricks, Hougaard or Le Roux.

16 If none of the younguns step up we can always call on Bismarck, Burden or Brits. Will Armand van der Merwe stay in France or is he coming back? The other two Lions hookers and if he gets the time Mike Willemse also have a lot of potential.
17 Steven Kitshoff
18 Vincent Koch
19 Pieter-Steph du Toit - he didn't shine during the RWC but that's probably too much to ask of him just coming back from a helluva long injury lay-off. He'll get time alongside Etzebeth next year and I like the potential the combo has. But lets start De Jager.
20 Siya Kolisi* - because he is black and we'll probably need the numbers and he can do the business even if I think there are better options beyond him. Lets see how the first half of SR goes.
21 Cobus Reinach / Francois Hougaard
22 Pat Lambie
23 Willie le Roux - because of a lack of options and if we are behind with 10 to go why not gamble? Otherwise another center option in Serfontein seeing as Lambie could cover 15.

I know Rob houwing is not universally popular. But I am in 100% agreement with these 3 changes he is advocating:

http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/WorldCup/3-ways-to-pep-up-Bok-attack-20151104

- - - Updated - - -

You're right. 30 clubs with ProD2 (no idea if it's Currie Cup standard)

most if not all French club combos were overlooked:

Parra-Lopez at Clermont
FTD-Pelissié at Montpellier
Bastareau-Mermoz at Toulon
Rougerie-Fofana at Clermont
Toulouse backrow
etc

That's my feeling as well. I'm glad my following the top 14 (as much as any man can) is paying off.

Last edited:
@TRF_stormer2010, I'm going to mention you instead of replying to your quote because it's too damn long!

I also agree with Rob in that article, but he's missing a point of interest with regard to Pollard. This is just his 3rd year of playing at Fly Half, as he was a centre at school.

He's still learning about his new freedom and he'll get there. I personally thought he went on too many runs alone during the world cup. But that's just my opinion.

Anyways, back to your squad. I think you're pretty much on target with that squad, but we don't know yet which stars would be unearthed during the Super 18. Like Lood De Jager for example.

Last edited by a moderator:
@TRF_stormer2010, I'm going to mention you instead of replying to your quote because it's too damn long!

I also agree with Rob in that article, but he's missing a point of interest with regard to Pollard. This is just his 3rd year of playing at Fly Half, as he was a centre at school.

He's still learning about his new freedom and he'll get there. I personally thought he went on too many runs alone during the world cup. But that's just my opinion.

Anyways, back to your squad. I think you're pretty much on target with that squad, but we don't know yet which stars would be unearthed during the Super 18. Like Lood De Jager for example.

If he is still learning, then even more for Lambie to be the permanent 10. It's criminal the way he has been treated by Meyer. Lambie can bring so much to the 10 role.

If he is still learning, then even more for Lambie to be the permanent 10. It's criminal the way he has been treated by Meyer. Lambie can bring so much to the 10 role.

I don't want to be contrary but if Pollard is still learning and is already at the level he is at isn't that more reason to keep him? Both at their best Pollard has had more 'Wow!' games than Lambie IMO and undoubtedly has the higher ceiling.

Whats the deal with the quotas? is that crazy government still demanding more blacks in the team?

Whats the deal with the quotas? is that crazy government still demanding more blacks in the team?

To be honest actually, it's more the trade unions and, ironically, PDivvy making the most noise about it (I say ironically because he was less transformative than Heyneke if we compare Springbok squads).

Stormer. Ireland always wear their alternative kit when it's on in Dublin unless South Africa asked to wear theirs. Sometimes teams want to wear away kit once just to keep supplier happy

Latest posts