• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

South Africa vs Ireland - 3 Tests - June 2016

Sheesh, is PSdT the unluckiest test player ever? He has been around and 1st choice since 2013 yet only has 8 caps. We had to go to the RWC with Matfield as 1st choice because of his injuries. Luckily De Jager stepped up.

Sheesh, is PSdT the unluckiest test player ever? He has been around and 1st choice since 2013 yet only has 8 caps. We had to go to the RWC with Matfield as 1st choice because of his injuries. Luckily De Jager stepped up.

Some players just seem to have that injury-monkey on their shoulders...

He's out for between 2 - 8 weeks, so there is the possibility that he could still play the 2nd and 3rd test against Ireland or be ready for the RC.

I think we'll take a test from the Bok. We generally play well against them and I think people are underestimating the level of innovating that we can achieve between the six nations and these tests.
Anyway as Alpha Bro said Fitz is out, and the IRFU tweeted yesterday that Matt Healy had been called up before deleting the tweet so....... I'm quite critical of him, but he was the most exciting player in the Pro 12 this year, so wouldn't mind seeing him called up but dread to think what will happen to him in defence.
O'Halloran and Adeolokun were also name dropped.

Last edited:
It's a real shame that PsdT is out, I'd like to say that we have plenty of cover at lock and that it won't hurt us that much, but in the end he is our form lock at the moment so their will be a small drop-off. He does seem to just be one of those players that is always injured glad we have Lood as back up.

As for our general chances against the Irish it's just really hard to say, especially as someone who usually doesn't watch much six nations, no doubt we won't be as strong a side as last year. We've lost a few stalwarts, we have a new coach, and a new quota system that may hamper us a little.

That said it's a very young squad the majority of the players are 25 or younger so there is plenty of hope for the future, not to mention the feeling that some of the form players in SA (the Lions lads) are finally getting a crack. I'm just really excited to see us play but not at all confident of a clean sweep (or even a series victory).

Edit: Not to mention there is no proof that we were even a better side than Ireland last year, they did smash us at the EoTY tour 2014.

It's a real shame that PsdT is out, I'd like to say that we have plenty of cover at lock and that it won't hurt us that much, but in the end he is our form lock at the moment so their will be a small drop-off. He does seem to just be one of those players that is always injured glad we have Lood as back up.

As for our general chances against the Irish it's just really hard to say, especially as someone who usually doesn't watch much six nations, no doubt we won't be as strong a side as last year. We've lost a few stalwarts, we have a new coach, and a new quota system that may hamper us a little.

That said it's a very young squad the majority of the players are 25 or younger so there is plenty of hope for the future, not to mention the feeling that some of the form players in SA (the Lions lads) are finally getting a crack. I'm just really excited to see us play but not at all confident of a clean sweep (or even a series victory).

Edit: Not to mention there is no proof that we were even a better side than Ireland last year, they did smash us at the EoTY tour 2014.

Yeah look, I think we all are excited to see what this squad can do because it certainly is a team that can play exciting rugby, while still be physically dominant. I think our will be in for a surprize if they think we are going to play just stampkar rugby.

My only concern going in is that the Lions contingent don't live up to expectation outside of the Lions environment (Jo'burg, Ackermann, they are a settled unit rather than uncontainable individuals). We've seen this on many an occasion before; Taute and Jantjies' stints with the Stormers hoeka nogal under Coetzee as coach, Whiteley not looking too comfortable/impactful in green the chances he has got. The Lions just play a differet game than the other big three teams. Just hoping we adapt to play 'Lions rubgy' rather than the Lions players feeling like fish out of water.

My only concern going in is that the Lions contingent don't live up to expectation outside of the Lions environment (Jo'burg, Ackermann, they are a settled unit rather than uncontainable individuals). We've seen this on many an occasion before; Taute and Jantjies' stints with the Stormers hoeka nogal under Coetzee as coach, Whiteley not looking too comfortable/impactful in green the chances he has got. The Lions just play a differet game than the other big three teams. Just hoping we adapt to play 'Lions rubgy' rather than the Lions players feeling like fish out of water.

True, but AC's meeting with the franchises individually and also having Ackermann as the Coach of the SA "A" side will certainly help. I think AC targeted the Lions contingent specifically for this reason.

I'm not saying I'm not confidant. I'm just trying to manage my expectations. I've seen some wild predictions elsewhere whereas I only expect a definate win in Jo'burg. I am somewhat buoyed by our record against ireland at home; 7-0 with an average of winning by a 15 point margin but still, this fixture has been much closer since last decade even if the missteps (and the one thrashing) has been in Dublin.

I'm not saying I'm not confidant. I'm just trying to manage my expectations. I've seen some wild predictions elsewhere whereas I only expect a definate win in Jo'burg. I am somewhat buoyed by our record against ireland at home; 7-0 with an average of winning by a 15 point margin but still, this fixture has been much closer since last decade even if the missteps (and the one thrashing) has been in Dublin.

Yeah. I've got tickets for the Ellis Park game...

But to be honest, I don't really care about the margin of victory just as long as we win, and that our game plan works.

@Groundhog
I think people are underestimating the level of innovating that we can achieve between the six nations and these tests.
Excuse my ignorance but i'm not sure i understand what you mean. Mind elaborating a bit?
Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Groundhog

Excuse my ignorance but i'm not sure i understand what you mean. Mind elaborating a bit?
Thanks in advance.

I am assuming of course but SA has gone down to Ireland before where they have just plain outplayed/thought us tactically. We are rather predictble as a team I'm afraid and I am assuming Groundhog means Schmidt is the type of coach to take advantage of this much like Jones did when we lost to Japan and Schmidt himself did when we went down massively to an Irish side chock full of fullbacks with Murray and Sexton's tactical kicking beig on point in 2014.

@Groundhog

Thanks in advance.
I'm saying that we've caught flak for a pretty blunt and tired gameplan which revolved largely around tactical kicking, and most of our 6 Nations rivals wised up to, but Schmidt will have had time to develop a more rounded gameplan to have us ready for South Africa. We showed flashes of innovation when our back was against the wall during the Six Nations and a greater desire to offload, and I'm trusting Schmidt to flesh out those areas of our game a bit.
Stormer is right in saying we've managed to predict SA really well in the recent past, but while I haven't seen much of SA outside of the world cup, I gather that they like us are hoping to see their team play wider and faster, and from what I have seen of SR, they probably have the personnel to do so, which this time round, we may not.

We showed flashes of innovation when our back was against the wall during the Six Nations and a greater desire to offload, and I'm trusting Schmidt to flesh out those areas of our game a bit.

I'm not. It was a nothing game against a bedraggled Italian squad. Whoopee-f**king-doo.

Leinster are playing muck, Munster are even worse and Ulster are so-so with a very regimented style.

Connacht are the only ones moving the ball with speed and precision whilst responding quickly, and mostly correctly, to the shape of play on the pitch. But of course, few of their guys are in the squad.

I'm not. It was a nothing game against a bedraggled Italian squad. Whoopee-f**king-doo.

Leinster are playing muck, Munster are even worse and Ulster are so-so with a very regimented style.

Connacht are the only ones moving the ball with speed and precision whilst responding quickly, and mostly correctly, to the shape of play on the pitch. But of course, few of their guys are in the squad.
Leinster won more Pro 12 games than Connacht this season and were far worse off in international periods... Connacht look nice and hit a peak when it mattered but lost playing some incredibly mediocre rugby this season.

Add to this that a lot of Connacht's most important players aren't Irish qualified, Tom McCartney, Bundee Aki, Jake Heenan and Aly Muldowney (only realised he was an Aussie on Saturday), and it's very understandable. Niyi Adeolokun should get a call up after a defensively solid season and a huge attacking outbreak in the last few weeks but outside that and with Denis Buckley injured there's not a whole lot of players that can consider themselves unlucky considering that Tiernan O'Halloran and Matt Healy have been proven to be useless against merely competent attacks.

Ireland aren't going to win anything with flair any time soon with any coach, Schmidt can grind wins out and at the moment that's all we have.

English and IQ, should stop listening to my father...
The irony of that is that he should be ahead of another Connacht man in the squad, strange omission but probably because he's leaving.

Its true, Tigs Man knows nothing about Irish rugby.

Anyway, yeah, 32 and going, big whoop.

My position has long been that Schmidt is putting the wrong plan to the wrong players, but the idea that if he goes gung ho it'll all be jam in paradise is a little strong. This would be a good chance to blood some of the athletes needed for an all court game and I hope he's brave, but time will tell.

Its true, Tigs Man knows nothing about Irish rugby.

Anyway, yeah, 32 and going, big whoop.

My position has long been that Schmidt is putting the wrong plan to the wrong players, but the idea that if he goes gung ho it'll all be jam in paradise is a little strong. This would be a good chance to blood some of the athletes needed for an all court game and I hope he's brave, but time will tell.
Father, not surrogate mother...

I agree with your position but do think we're closer to optimum performance levels taking caution on the side of conservatism. There's no 12 in the country as good at distributing as Bundee Aki and few enough wingers that could survive a small breeze without pulling a muscle who can capitalise on open space. As much as I hate to say it a Saracens template is what this side needs, more innovation would be required because dominance like Sarries get up front is rarely achieved at international level but a strong pack and clinical backs is what Schmidt should be building towards. The players simply aren't there to play the type of rugby that brought Connacht success on an international stage.

I am assuming of course but SA has gone down to Ireland before where they have just plain outplayed/thought us tactically. We are rather predictble as a team I'm afraid and I am assuming Groundhog means Schmidt is the type of coach to take advantage of this much like Jones did when we lost to Japan and Schmidt himself did when we went down massively to an Irish side chock full of fullbacks with Murray and Sexton's tactical kicking beig on point in 2014.

Yeah Schmidt is a really clever coach and I remember he was one of the first guys to implement the tactic of not having players to join a maul from a lineout close to their goal line.

But with that said, I think Schmidt might have a tough time in getting a plan ready as our coaching team is a new combination, and there will also be a lot of new faces in the squad, which could assist us in being an unknown factor.

Latest posts