16 Chiliboy Ralepelle ( Bulls) - 11 caps
17 BJ Botha (Ulster) - 21 caps
18 Danie Rossouw ( Bulls) - 48 caps
19 Dewald Potgieter ( Bulls) - 4 caps
20 Ruan Pienaar (Sharks) - 39 caps
21 Butch James (Bath) - 36 caps
22 Wynand Oliver ( Bulls) - 28 caps
Source

JDV back on the wing, should be interesting.Apart from Morne Steyn, that is a whole Stormers\WP backline!when last did we see that?:D

Also good to see Matfield getting a well deserved rest so Bekker takes his place.I also think that PDivvy planned his selection of Flip van der Merwe well.When Matfield and Bakkies retire someday, I think Bekker and Flip will be two very good replacements.Flip filling the role of Bakkies and Bekker the role of Matfield.

Should be another win for the Boks at the end of the day.

Yes, but the Stormers sucked in that era :p

Also good to see Matfield getting a well deserved rest so Bekker takes his place.I also think that PDivvy planned his selection of Flip van der Merwe well.When Matfield and Bakkies retire someday, I think Bekker and Flip will be two very good replacements.Flip filling the role of Bakkies and Bekker the role of Matfield

It seems as though PDV has his heart set on Hargreaves being the no. 5 lock, might change after the world cup though.

Do you think that front-row will be the first choice come the tri-nations? Not saying its bad, it just seems to lack that bit of, hmmmm, something

Italy – 15 Luke McLean, 14 Michele Sepe, 13 Gonzalo Canale, 12 Andrea Masi, 11 Mirco Bergamasco, 10 Craig Gower, 9 Simon Picone, 8 Sergio Parisse (c), 7 Manoa Vosawai, 6 Paul Derbyshire, 5 Marco Bortolami, 4 Carlo del Fava, 3 Lorenzo Cittadini, 2 Fabio Ongaro, 1 Salvatore Perugini.
Subs: 16 Leonardo Ghiraldini, 17 Franco Sbaraglini, 18 Quintin Geldenhuys, 19 Alessandro Zanni, 20 ***o Tebaldi, 21 Riccardo Bocchino, 22 Matteo Pratichetti.

Weak even for an Italy team. What the hell is Mallet doing? Boks should deffinitely get over 50 this time. Although, it's a pretty shite Bok front row. Just do not rate du Plessis, Smit is not our best hooker and GUrthro is just on some weird hot-streak, but it won't last. Gary Botha should feel insulted. Still, with Habana, Jaques Fourie and Jean de Villiers against that Italian backline, there realllllllllllllly should be lots of tries. If this backline fails to fire it should prove that the coaching is poor and there's like, no gameplan.

Danie Rossouw is out injured, his place has been taken by Flip van de Merwe

@rugbywriter
If the frontrow is so *****, why don't you go become a professional player, so that you can be selected, as you are quite obviously better than *****

Last edited:
i like russow ...he really nailed lionel nallet last week ..the guy hits like a truck

Although, it's a pretty shite Bok front row. Just do not rate du Plessis, Smit is not our best hooker and GUrthro is just on some weird hot-streak, but it won't last.
I wouldn't want to get in a scrum with that front-row, they are all solid players.

Danie Rossouw is out injured, his place has been taken by Flip van de Merwe

@rugbywriter
If the frontrow is so *****, why don't you go become a professional player, so that you can be selected, as you are quite obviously better than *****

Uh... I never said I'm better. But BJ botha is 100000000 times better then Jannie du Plessis. BJ Botha is one of the best scrummagers in world rugby. CJ van der Linde wasoutstanding for us in the world cup and 2008. He's back from injury now and he should be starting loosehead. And I'm getting tired of the John Smit debate. He's not the best hooker in the country - case closed. Look at how stupid he was when he threw that intercept pass against Wales! He's fat, slow and over the hill. People used to talk about how good his running game was but even that sucks now and he can barely make a tackle. Gary Botha and Tiaan Liebenberg were the best hookers in the Super14, Schalk Brits was Player's Player of the Tournament for the comp up north, yet none of these guys make the squad because of John Smit and Chilliboy Rallepelle. So, excuse me for not being so thrilled about this front row

Uh... I never said I'm better. But BJ botha is 100000000 times better then Jannie du Plessis. BJ Botha is one of the best scrummagers in world rugby. CJ van der Linde wasoutstanding for us in the world cup and 2008. He's back from injury now and he should be starting loosehead. And I'm getting tired of the John Smit debate. He's not the best hooker in the country - case closed. Look at how stupid he was when he threw that intercept pass against Wales! He's fat, slow and over the hill. People used to talk about how good his running game was but even that sucks now and he can barely make a tackle. Gary Botha and Tiaan Liebenberg were the best hookers in the Super14, Schalk Brits was Player's Player of the Tournament for the comp up north, yet none of these guys make the squad because of John Smit and Chilliboy Rallepelle. So, excuse me for not being so thrilled about this front row

BJ Botha is not '100000000' times better than Jannie, no player is, its quite frankly impossible, and this applies to any comparison between players. And BJ had very suspect scrumming in the game against France, and the scrum steadied once Jannie came on. Once again BJ has not even played a full season with the club he is at (don't know if it is injuries or form)
I have never said Smit is SA's best hooker, infact, since 2008, most experts have said that Bismarck is better than Smit, however every Springbok says it is essential to have Smit in the team, due to the leadership qualities he has, and the calmness he brings.
You have highlighted one major mistake he has made, if any other player had made that mistake (other than other senior players), there would have been an outcry, however he makes mistakes so rarely that the mistake was actually joked about.
There is obviously the selection poser of him at prop, which meant that he had to bulk up in order to better play that position.

Fact is, teams play better with him around, Sharks, Clermont and Springboks included, mainly due to his leadership. But you don't care about that due you? Youy would rather see the best players as opposed to the best XV

p.s. I never said that you said you are better, I merely assumed that you thought that you are better than *****

Last edited:
BJ Botha is not '100000000' times better than Jannie, no player is, its quite frankly impossible, and this applies to any comparison between players. And BJ had very suspect scrumming in the game against France, and the scrum steadied once Jannie came on. Once again BJ has not even played a full season with the club he is at (don't know if it is injuries or form)
I have never said Smit is SA's best hooker, infact, since 2008, most experts have said that Bismarck is better than Smit, however every Springbok says it is essential to have Smit in the team, due to the leadership qualities he has, and the calmness he brings.
You have highlighted one major mistake he has made, if any other player had made that mistake (other than other senior players), there would have been an outcry, however he makes mistakes so rarely that the mistake was actually joked about.
There is obviously the selection poser of him at prop, which meant that he had to bulk up in order to better play that position.

Fact is, teams play better with him around, Sharks, Clermont and Springboks included, mainly due to his leadership. But you don't care about that due you?
Youy would rather see the best players as opposed to the best XV

p.s. I never said that you said you are better, I merely assumed that you thought that you are better than *****

I hate when people say that. How many Super14 ***les has he captained the Sharks to? How many Super14 ***les has Victor Matfield captained the Bulls to? Exactly! We have a more then quality leader in Victor Matfield. So are you saying that SA will be nothing without Smt? Because the Bulls and Stormers sure seem to be doing fine! And you say Smit rarely makes mistakes.... you didn't happen to actually watch the SUper 14 this year did you?

Okay I was just exagerating about BJ Botha but there can surely be no argument that he's better then Jannie du Plessis? Surely there can not be one person that thinks Jannie "Yellow-Card" du Plessisis better then BJ Botha. And I don't see you arguing against CJ over Gurthro.

BTW, Bismarck isn't even that amazing himself. Gary Botha, Schalk Brits and Liebenberg are all better

I hate when people say that. How many Super14 ***les has he captained the Sharks to? How many Super14 ***les has Victor Matfield captained the Bulls to? Exactly! We have a more then quality leader in Victor Matfield. So are you saying that SA will be nothing without Smt? Because the Bulls and Stormers sure seem to be doing fine! And you say Smit rarely makes mistakes.... you didn't happen to actually watch the SUper 14 this year did you?

Okay I was just exagerating about BJ Botha but there can surely be no argument that he's better then Jannie du Plessis? Surely there can not be one person that thinks Jannie "Yellow-Card" du Plessisis better then BJ Botha. And I don't see you arguing against CJ over Gurthro.

How many world cup ***les has Smit captained SA to? How many has Matfield?
Bulls have, and have had a better team than the Sharks for 3 years now, the Stormers had a better team this year, so comparing players in the confines of different teams is pointless.
Im not saying that SA would be nothing without Smit, much like you wouldn't say the AB would be nothing without McCaw, its not true.
Frankly, Jake White chose Smit as captain, and still rates him good enough to be in the bok XV, and in my opinion, his opinion (in all rugby matters) is one of the best in the world.

I actually did watch the Super14, and without blinkers I can say of all the problems at the start of the campaign, Smit was one of the most consistent peformers, and to quote a previous post of yours, "that is a very immature post"

I do think BJ is a better player than Jannie, but Jannie is in some vein of form, whereas BJ is not.
Im not arguing about CJ over Steenkamp, there is nothing to argue about, Steenkamp is on form, CJ is not.

How surprising that you think a set of Bulls and Stormers hookers are better than Bismarck
I wasn't right about my Cheetahs comment, but I am right about my gloryhunting comment

Last edited:
How many world cup ***les has Smit captained SA to? How many has Matfield?
Bulls have, and have had a better team than the Sharks for 3 years now, the Stormers had a better team this year, so comparing players in the confines of different teams is pointless.
Im not saying that SA would be nothing without Smit, much like you wouldn't say the AB would be nothing without McCaw, its not true.
Frankly, Jake White chose Smit as captain, and still rates him good enough to be in the bok XV, and in my opinion, his opinion (in all rugby matters) is one of the best in the world.

I actually did watch the Super14, and without blinkers I can say of all the problems at the start of the campaign, Smit was one of the most consistent peformers, and to quote a previous post of yours, "that is a very immature post"

I do think BJ is a better player than Jannie, but Jannie is in some vein of form, whereas BJ is not.
Im not arguing about CJ over Steenkamp, there is nothing to argue about, Steenkamp is on form, CJ is not.

How surprising that you think a set of Bulls and Stormers hookers are better than Bismarck
I wasn't right about my Cheetahs comment, but I am right about my gloryhunting comment

Let me put an end to this.

John Smit handling errors for S14: 11

Gary Botha handling errors: 5

Smit missed-tackles: 28!!!!!!!!!

Botha missed-tackles: 19

Smit total tackles: 70/98 (71%)

Botha total tackles: 108/127 (85%)

And remember, Gray Botha played 14 games as opposed to Smit who played 13.

Can't wait for this to start to watch a proper rugby team.

They were. But they're still the best rugby team in the world. I'm just in awe of their power, precision and depth of talent.

Let me put an end to this.

John Smit handling errors for S14: 11

Gary Botha handling errors: 5

Smit missed-tackles: 28!!!!!!!!!

Botha missed-tackles: 19

Smit total tackles: 70/98 (71%)

Botha total tackles: 108/127 (85%)

And remember, Gray Botha played 14 games as opposed to Smit who played 13.

What are you trying to prove? That Botha is a better player? Why? When have I ever compared Smit and Botha?

Latest posts