• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

South Africa vs Italy

THHEEEE man is back B)

Dont have a clue what strength of side Italy will send them out, think Mallett hinted at a weakened younger side. Would expect the Boks to go on a similar path, well play some new guys but also keep some successful combinations going in preparation for the tri nations. Would say the Boks by 50.

Italy by 50. <_<

If SA put out a strong side though, then SA by 60 - 70 points.

THHEEEE man is back B)

Dont have a clue what strength of side Italy will send them out, think Mallett hinted at a weakened younger side. Would expect the Boks to go on a similar path, well play some new guys but also keep some successful combinations going in preparation for the tri nations. Would say the Boks by 50.
[/b]

Based on the most recent 6Nations, I'd say Italy will get ****** on.

They have an outstanding pack, 1-8 all of their players are up there with the best.

They usually have a half decent 9.

10 has been a huge problem for them, as has goalkicking. However Andrea Marcato, naturally a fly-half, played really well for them at fullback and is young, so I reckon should be given a go.

Outside 10 there's nothing at all. They desperately need to try some youngsters to find someone with ideas/ pace.

I'm also thinking Boks by 40 or 50.
Schalk Britz will most probably be on the bench, but he will definitely play. He's got a promising future this guy, he's just the type of hooker you want in loose play.
PdV said he's using these June Tests to prepare for the Tri Nation ELV's, so less players will be commiting to the rucks and quick ball will be emphasized. Hopefully our backs can get some continuity going, Wales rush defence and the 10 meters less space than the ELV's added some urgency, i like when our feathers are ruffled, but did achieve too much. Hopefully Steyn gets a run at 13

ITALIA
15 Andrea MARCATO (Benetton Treviso, 7 caps)
14 Kaine ROBERTSON (Montepaschi Viadana, 30 caps)
13 Andrea MASI (Biarritz Olympique, 40 caps)
12 Gonzalo GARCIA (Cammi Calvisano, esordiente)
11 Matteo PRATICHETTI (Cammi Calvisano, 8 caps)
10 Luke MCLEAN (Cammi Calvisano, esordiente)
9 Simon PICONE (Benetton Treviso, 15 caps)
8 Josh SOLE (Montepaschi Viadana, 28 caps)
7 Robert BARBIERI (Benetton Treviso, 6 caps)
6 Alessandro ZANNI (Cammi Calvisano, 22 caps)
5 Carlo Antonio DEL FAVA (Ulster Branch, 28 caps)
4 Santiago DELLAPE’ (Biarritz Olympique, 50 caps)
3 Carlos NIETO (Gloucester RFC, 26 caps)
2 Leonardo GHIRALDINI (Cammi Calvisano, 11 caps) - capitano
1 Michele RIZZO (Carrera Petrarca Padova, 1 cap)

a disposizione
16 Fabio ONGARO (Saracens, 53 caps)
17 Ignacio ROUYET (Montepaschi Viadana, esordiente)
18 Tommaso REATO (Femi CZ Rovigo, 1 cap)
19 Jaco ERASMUS (Montepaschi Viadana, 2 caps)
20 Pablo CANAVOSIO (Castres Olympique, 18 caps)
21 Enrico PATRIZIO (Carrera Petrarca Padova, 3 caps)
22 Riccardo PAVAN (Overmach Cariparma, esordiente)

Italy is used to have a very effective pack but for the test in Cape Town there will be many changes due to club commitment or injury of Castrogiovanni, Cittadini, Lo Cicero, Perugini, Bortolami , Bergamasco Mauro and Mirco (inside centre) and Parisse (captain).
McLean will play at ten (@Calvisano he plays fullback) and Masi come back at 13.
Marcato is too light to play flyhalf for Mallett's ideas....
Garcia is a good inside centre, a revelation of super 10.
Pratichetti is strong and he's got pace.
The damage limitation strategy will not be effective against the world champs...but we're confident and we hope to score a try at least.
We'll try to keep possessions when we need it and avoid penalties.
SA will score 8 tries at least.
We hope to have some chance in the second half and get them. We would like to see some improvement in our offensive game with our new pivot and our backs.
We know very well that we're going to lose with a big margin but we want to gain a little respect from South Africa.
Losing with Honor....
SA 65 - ITA 17
Forza Azzurri ! :cheers: :bravo: :fb: :bonne-de:

15. Conrad Jantjes
14. Odwa Ndungane
13. Gcobani Bobo
12. Jean de Villiers
11. Bryan Habana
10. Francois Steyn
9. Ricky Januarie
8. Ryan Kankowski
7. Juan Smith
6. Luke Watson
5. Victor Matfield &copy;
4. Bakkies Botha
3. CJ van der Linde
2. Bismarck du Plessis
1. Tendai Mtawarira

16. Schalk Brits
17. Brian Mujati
18. Andries Bekker
19. Joe van Niekerk
20. Schalk Burger
21. Ruan Pienaar
22. Peter Grant.

I dislike a few things about this team. Firstly what has Steyn done to deserve a start a flyhalf? I bet Dick had a big part in that. And what is Bobo doing there? Aren't Jacobs and Jean the favourite centre pairing? And Jacobs isn't even on the bench. You;d think they'd need time to click before we face the ABs.

Yay for Kankowski... Nay for Bobo...
I hope Steyn f***s up big time at 10, because if not it'll just be another position they can rotate him to.

5 forwards and 2 backs on the bench... obviously took after Province. ;) I just realised though that we have no proper goal kickers in the starting line up. Can Steyn even kick in front of the 50m mark?
Do you know of any game where Steyn ever played well at flyhalf? He might play well against Italy, but NZ would crush him, and us just like they did last year when Steyn came on. All good South African flyhalves have been dependable players who did the basics right. Steyn's too unpredictable. He may have the skills of a Dan Carter, but his decision making is poor. Maybe in the future he'll grow into one, but he's really not suited towards it at the moment.
I think he just likes the idea of being a flyhalf- glamour boy, central to the backline etc. But he better mess up there because I think his talent will be wasted.

I predict that there will be about 200 fights during this match..

..who'll win? Who cares! DING-DING-DING!

Hopefully it won't rain on Saturday, I'd like to see us try play an expansive game in preparation for the ELVs. Sometimes comprehensively beating a minnow team is a great way to get your side to click. It worked for us against Namibia so maybe it'll work again.
I think Jean must be rested. Since the start of the Super 14 he's been playing 80 minutes of every match, that must be a record for him and with the great form he's in I want him to be fresh for the tri-nations. Maybe Grant to come on at half time and Steyn to move to 12...

15 Andrea MARCATO (Italy)
14 Kaine ROBERTSON (Nez Zealand)
13 Andrea MASI (Italy)
12 Gonzalo GARCIA (Argentina)
11 Matteo PRATICHETTI (Italy)
10 Luke MCLEAN (Australia)
9 Simon PICONE (Italy)
8 Josh SOLE (New Zealand)
7 Robert BARBIERI (Canada)
6 Alessandro ZANNI (Italy)
5 Carlo Antonio DEL FAVA (South Africa)
4 Santiago DELLAPE’ (Argentina)
3 Carlos NIETO (Argentina)
2 Leonardo GHIRALDINI (Italy) - cap
1 Michele RIZZO (Italy)

I like Italy , i like this team, but its difficult to think of it as a NATIONAL side
cheers to the italians anyway :)

I'm also not happy about Steyn at flyhalf, so he thinks that where he wants to play. in the position he's been the most **** at ?

and somehow Grant get's shuffled down to the 3rd choice ? :huh:

I'm really -really- scared that they're busy turning Steyn into the next Brent Russel, talent like that shouldn't be averaged out by playing him at every single position possible, pretty soon we'll see him packing down with the scrum as the worlds most mobile hooker, taking dropshots from ontop of the ruck.

good luck to italy although i have a feeling they are going to be hurting after 80 minutes.

how does McLean qualify? italian mother?

good luck to italy although i have a feeling they are going to be hurting after 80 minutes.

how does McLean qualify? italian mother?[/b]
McLean doesn't sound too Italian to me. :D

I would assume the Italians don't have the strictest of rules about who can represent the country, probably just played a season over there and managed to cut it so he is in the squad.

lol can probably say "chow, come stay"

both my parents are italian, i have an italian surname, and i'm not very good at rugby. do you think i'll get a game for italy? :D

both my parents are italian, i have an italian surname, and i'm not very good at rugby. do you think i'll get a game for italy? :D[/b]
Not likely, they want good players regardless of thier background I'd say...if you're not good at rugby try a country that isn't a good rugby nation, you'd be thier version of Jonah. ;)

Latest posts